Scubapro Regulator Museum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does Scubapro have plans to reopen the Scubapro Regulator Museum website? I visited the museum on several occasions when it was in Ocean Divers in Key Largo and spent several enjoyable hours perusing the associated website. It is a great resource. Still diving my MK5/109 from 1972

Thanks, and good diving,

Craig

I'm still diving my Mk 5/109s, and so are lots of people, who regard the classic MK 5, Mk 10, and 109/156 as unsurpassed, all things considered. That's why the museum is gone. As part of its marketing strategy Scubapro forced the closure of the museum web site. The old classic regs from Scubapro's golden age have a degree of excellence and simplicity so high that Scubapro would like nothing better than to make them invisible.

I'm still diving my Mk 5/109s, and so are lots of people, who regard the classic MK 5, Mk 10, and 109/156 as unsurpassed, all things considered. That's why the museum is gone. As part of its marketing strategy Scubapro forced the closure of the museum web site. The old classic regs from Scubapro's golden age have a degree of excellence and simplicity so high that Scubapro would like nothing better than to make them invisible.

Hi agilis,

Your skepticism is common on SB, I often share it. I received a response from Scubapro today for an inquiry I made over the holidays regarding the Scubapro Regulator Museum website. The response was from an individual with whom I have interacted previously and trust. The message was "The site was taken down to be revamped. It will be available shortly." I suggested that this response also be posted on SB by one of the Scubapro spokespeople who have responded in this section. Personally, I will be optimistic that the website will be available again and all will not be lost.

Good diving, Craig

Scubadada, a prediction: The new site will have very different content. The classic regulators will be briefly described as good in their day but now obsolete. They will be presented as stepping stones to the infinitely better current line of Scubapro regulators. The purpose of the new museum site will be to sell currently manufactured equipment.

Sometimes skepticism is the most accurate reflection of reality. There was no legitimate reason to force the old SP museum to vanish. Scubapro was able to pull the plug because it was in a position to hurt people connected with the site. Scubapro had no legal standing in connection with the museum; there was no patent or copyright infringment. It was an ugly thing to do, and it was done in a particulary sleazy manner.

Well...time will tell one way or the other, but personally I'm betting my money on the "good in their day but obsolete marketing tool" revamp of the site - if it comes back at all.

That would be consistent with the general nudging by Scubapro trainers and tech reps toward retiring old but still serviceable regs and selling customers new ones. The sad fact is that it benefits Scubapro to do that as they make their money off equipment sales, and I can't really blame them for that, but it is a short sighted approach and one that deviates from Scubapro's "deep down you want the best" roots when the phrase really meant something in both engineering and service.

The general dicking around with FPFL and press to retire old regs comes at the expense of shops who potentially offend and lose long standing 20+ year customers (and their progeny) who've come in annually to drop off and pick up regs for service, dropping the better part of $100 on labor, plus other sales on one or both visits for replacement of BCDs, exposure suits, boots, gloves, computers, fins, masks, etc that over the years far outstrip the quick and dirty dealer profit on a new reg.

For me, Scubapro sold by far the best regs around at the time (1985) with a promise to continue supporting them for the life of the reg (measured in decades). That was what brought me to a Scubapro dealer, convinced me to drop my hard earned cash (about 3 times as much as would have needed to drop for a US Divers reg through Berry Scuba, New England Divers or Central Skindivers - the mail order sales biggies I recall at the time) and come back year after year for sales and service with Scubapro dealers I was very loyal to.

Now, from that perspective, I can clearly empathize with unhappy customers if Scubapro changes the marketing strategy to sell regs that are not significantly better in quality or performance than other manufacturers' offerings in similar price ranges, is going to jerk customers around on the FPFL deal by making them buy a qualifying reg, computer and BCD just to get the FPFL, and tops that off with hints that maybe the past practice of supporting and even upgrading discontinued Scubapro regs for 30-40 years is not going to continue. If that's the case then there really is no strong incentive for that past generation of loyal Scubapro customers to continue buying a Scubapro product over another brands that offer similar performance, service and designed obsolescence.

Divers paid a premium for Scubapro regs in the Mk V and Mk X era, because the regs, along with the entire company philosophy of quality engineering and long term service and support were worth it . It will be interesting to see if the new museum website reflects that...

Amen DA.
It never ceases to amaze me that companies want loyal customers (and frankly employees as well) but yet do not want to be loyal to them. It's what you get when the techs and engineers who started the company and loved the product are replaced with accountants and lawyers who just want make money. If I am going to be forced to buy cheap unsupported products because no one makes a good product with good support I am at least going to find the lowest cost one and certainly am not going to pay a "Scubapro like" premium for it.

Amen DA.
It never ceases to amaze me that companies want loyal customers (and frankly employees as well) but yet do not want to be loyal to them. It's what you get when the techs and engineers who started the company and loved the product are replaced with accountants and lawyers who just want make money. If I am going to be forced to buy cheap unsupported products because no one makes a good product with good support I am at least going to find the lowest cost one and certainly am not going to pay a "Scubapro like" premium for it.

You are not their customer; their customer is the LDS only. If their intentions for the new museum site were good they would not have forced the other site to close in the interim. Even from a business standpoint this makes no sense, the people who actually do their own service are a small minority but tend to be the more experienced, vocal and most capable of doing their service with no help from Scubapro. All they are doing is generating bad press for themselves for little or no gain.

You are not their customer; their customer is the LDS only.
It's tempting and convenient to get cynical and say that, but it's just not correct.

Any company like Scubapro has to be engaged in serving dual customers - the end users who buy the products from the dealers, and the dealer network itself.

You can't move product to customers without an effective dealer network (brick and mortar, on-line, or otherwise) and you can't develop or maintain a dealer network without providing products and services that end users actually want to buy from your company. You can play with the balance and the priorities, but in the end to stay in business, you have to keep each happy to an acceptable degree.

Scubapro's been doing some things lately to play with the balance and priorities to try to minimize costs and maximize profits, but over the long term they are doing some things that are alienating both customers. In the face of increasing dissatisfaction in both camps, they need to get their collective poop in a group or it will cost them dealers, customers, market share and ultimately even greater profits over the long term.

Quality is still the cheapest way to add value - in both product and service - and they'd do well to remember that.

Regardless of how many products a company makes they only have two things to sell, quality and service. If they are torking off everybody on both sides of the equation then maybe they need to reevaluate what they are doing?

---------- Post added January 10th, 2013 at 06:40 PM ----------

It's tempting and convenient to get cynical and say that, but it's just not correct.

I know they have to try to please both sides but if you look at their manufactures site here you see a lot of locked down threads. I do not see that in the other manufactures sites. It gives the appearance that they do not really want to hear what the end user has to say.

Last edited:
This thread is about the SCUBAPRO Regulator Museum and it's original Web Site.

I started this regulator collection over 10 years ago with a friend. It was on display in Key Largo, FL at Ocean Divers for a number of years as it grew. Approximately 5 years ago it was moved to be displayed at Louisville Dive Center in Kentucky as an even larger, more complete collection. Last November, special display cabinets were constructed to display the updated collection (231 stages) at the DEMA Show in Las Vegas to kick off our 50th Anniversary year. Many industry professionals as well as some of the original engineers came by to view the history and timeline. The complete collection is now on display at SCUBAPRO's USA Office in El Cajon, CA for viewing by anyone who wishes.

(There is a similar collection based at the Italian factory which will be touring many of the European Trade Shows this year).

The original 'scubaproregulatormuseum.org' Web Site was in need of revamping, new photos, corrected information, and an overall more interactive look and feel. As part owner of this Web Site, I had it taken down since SCUBAPRO has offered, at their expense, to put up an all new Regulator History Web Site featuring the regulator collection. This new site is being designed and built in Italy and should be completed soon to include updated information, new photos, and an interactive application with more info about each particular model. This site will be linked to www.scubapro.com.

I am very proud of this collection; considered to be the most complete in the world. We will continue to assist our Technicians and customers worldwide with this historic data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom