Scubapro Second Stage Hose Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a complete newbie and just purchased my first regulator set, a Scubapro Mk 17 Evo / G260 / R195.

I would like to be able to replace the factory hoses eventually without relying on a shop.

Scubapro uses special splined nuts on both the regulator and the hose. I understand they can be removed with pliers, but I do not want to mar new equipment, so I've found three options to remove them properly:

1) Scubapro Universal Tool
2) Pandora Multi Tool
3) Scubatools "Just a wrench"

I've watched Alec Peirce's video on how to do this, at 10:50 he recommends using two crescent wrenches, one against the regulator body and one for the hose to make sure that the regulator is not damaged when torquing the nut on the hose.

Since Scubapro uses splined nuts on both sides, do I need two spline wrenches to remove the hoses safely?

Thanks for the help!

you can wrap the hose in tape or use a thin ish piece of rubber before you grab them with channel locks. In either instance you shouldn't be removing the hoses often, nor should they be that tight so marring them the first time isn't that big of a deal if you don't want to buy the tool.

Yes, you would need 2 tools.

or you can employ a hack like tbone suggests above.

My preference is to use the correct tool for the job, I hate adjustable wrenches and channel lock pliers because they tend to make a mess out of things unless one is very careful.

-Z

I'm a complete newbie and just purchased my first regulator set, a Scubapro Mk 17 Evo / G260 / R195.

I would like to be able to replace the factory hoses eventually without relying on a shop.

Scubapro uses special splined nuts on both the regulator and the hose. I understand they can be removed with pliers, but I do not want to mar new equipment, so I've found three options to remove them properly:

1) Scubapro Universal Tool
2) Pandora Multi Tool
3) Scubatools "Just a wrench"

I've watched Alec Peirce's video on how to do this, at 10:50 he recommends using two crescent wrenches, one against the regulator body and one for the hose to make sure that the regulator is not damaged when torquing the nut on the hose.

Since Scubapro uses splined nuts on both sides, do I need two spline wrenches to remove the hoses safely?

Thanks for the help!

DD...

As Zef has stated...two tools...one to un-screw the LP hose...and one to keep the second stage ''end nut'' from spinning...

If the end nut is allowed to turn while un-screwing the LP hose fitting...you will lose...or likely lose your second stage ''cracking pressure'' adjustment...

Some end nuts are one and one with the knife edge...while some end nuts have a threaded knife edge insert...

Best...

Warren

Sorry, you don't need two wrenches with these two models.
Both the G260 and the R195 have captured barrels with square inserts into the reg body.
If you unscrew the hose and the splined nut comes with it, no big deal. The reg does NOT come out of tune. @W W Meixner is perhaps thinking of older Aqualung or US Divers regs where the orifice is in the external nut. There you DO need two wrenches.
With Scubapro, the key is differential torque. The inner nut that attaches the barrel to the case should have slightly greater torque than the 40 in-lb that you use for the hose. That way, the hose will come off first. Unfortunately, the plastic splined nuts found on the 195 will sometimes split with that much torque.
So like I said, if you have two wrenches great, but if both the hose and the nut come off, just gently screw the case nut back on, and attach your hose being careful to watch that the case nut doesn't further tighten when the hose meets the splined nut.
The other problem with trying to use two Scubapro wrenches is that to get the wrench off that's adjacent to the case, the splines have to align exactly, unless you're using the gray Scubapro tool. Also, most aftermarket Scubapro wrenches are so thick that you can't get two next to each other on the G260.
My solution was to grind half of the splines off the inner wrench when I HAVE to use two. I use the half splined wrench to hold the inner nut while I tighten the hose, and then just pull the half wrench away.

Sorry...''some'' not necessarily being ScubaPro

Oh, since you were responding to a Scubapro question I thought you were talking about a Scubapro second that I had not seen before. I often pick up stuff on ebay so I'm always interested in "features" of older regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom