Scubapro--twin Jet Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question as to the proficiency with how you can master and perform a backwards / reverse kick with these fins??? I have tried to accomplish this skill with my Atomic splitfins with no success. I can remain neutral but can generate no force to go backwards. Can you go backwards with these twin jets while remaining horizontal?

PS. My turtle fins with spring straps are in the mail and my Atomic Splitfins are going up for sale if anyone is interested...

Hi Guam Diver,
Many Thanks for reply - actually it is the second time I have heard of MDA, and as a matter of interest everytime I was on the boat with Scuba Pro, there is no way I can complain of being packed like sardines, as far as crowding goes there was almost none, and the most number of divers per instructor was usually like only 5, sometimes there were only 5 divers on the whole boat with 2 dive instructors, so going from that experience maybe I shouldn't complain too much about expensive charges, which by the way were $105 for 2 boat dives and I borrowed BCD and Octopus, cold rice & fish lunch was free !! Next time you are in Nagoya let me know, e mail mike@pes-export.com
By the way I am at home and alone now drinking canned draught Guinness !
Have a good weekend.
MIke

Hi Nice People,

I am new so please be nice...:eek:ut:
I stumbled by accident to this forum while surfing for split fins info. So here I am to share some of my input.

I live in the tropics, 28 *Celsius water mainly, except for some out of city location which has water down to 21* Celcius, so my diving is light weight in all respect. I have a favourite wreck which at most time has very strong current......a location where without a marker, descent line and a minimal of 10kg lead as weight/anchor I won't be able to get to the wreck. We avoid anchoring cause the wreck is too fragile and we don't want to loose anchors too. So fins is something I can not choose wrong.

Anyway, when I began diving I have sensitive feet ( till today ) and will get cramp at the shoulder of my feet ( I hope this is the correct English word for it ) if I get a fin which is heavy to kick. I started with US Diver Compro, hated it like hell and after trying a few others, I settled for a Mares Plana Avanti, that was in 1993. Along the years I tested a few other models/brands but never could find anything that did not kill my feet if I fight strong current. There I was so happy not to be in pain, let alone looking for extra speed. It was an open heel model.

One day I tried a Seaquest full foot ( I think they call it Kevlar ) because I needed to do a swimming test without scuba gear, so I thought full foot has always been easier to kick while snorkling...... why not give it a try, afterall it was cheap, so a mistake won't do damage. I shaved a good 90 seconds or more in a 400 yard test, I was impressed, I mean this fin doesn't look any high tech or fast. On next diving trips I used this full foot and to my surprise, it was so nice to use with scuba. I have always thought it will never propel me with those gear on. So from then on I am a 100% full foot only diver. I almost never do beach dive, so I am fine with a full foot. My friends love to joke on me because I use a white sock with the full foot to protect from blister. However full foot is not adjustable and my feet must be a weird size :confused: . Either I get very stiff fit or rather loose fit....thus the socks come into the picture. Since I prefer tight fit, the full foot doesn't survive more than 3-8 months, keep breaking the rubber foot pocket. So fins become consumable gear to me.
I outswim many divers by using this cheap fins.

After Mares has a local agent in my city, naturaly I bought the Mares Quattro. Better built, so one pair last me 12-18 months.
The spit-fins came to the market. Many of my friends bought them and love them. Apollo and Scubapro were the two ( both black ) I seen. I never try them because I now do not even want to try an open heel fins...ever..ever again. I waited and waited till the day Scubapro introduced the full foot Split, I was aiming at the Scubapro because I thought the Jet ribs design will make their split fin better than the regular Oceanic split full foot. Few months back I bought the Scubapro Split Full Foot. Boy, all those hot talk in forums and magazine review got me so excited. I tried the fin for snorkling and scuba diving, I practised the special kick it required. Everything was fine, I suppose performance was delivered as promised but many reviews were talking of split fins from the point of view of a divers accustomed to heavy open heel paddle fins. I mean no matter how you make light, an open heel by weight is heavier than a full foot, plus you must wear a boot, at least 3mm ones.

I was so sad that I did not like the Scubapro split full foot because it weight more in water and in air compared to my Quattro full foot. Even if it indeed provided me extra efficiency from the split design, it's extra weight killed it, so I am back to square one. I need a fin with light kick while getting maximum thrust and must be light weight. Now I am aiming at the Oceanic V-6 but my city doesn't sell it so must buy it in Singapore. The Scubapro split full foot is also very funny with its size rating.......if you guys buy on line be very careful. I use a 6/7 for Seaquest and 7/8 for Quattro ( YEP, with socks :D ) but the Scubapro I tested need to be one size bigger than my Quattro......how come... I don't know. Anyway I sold my fins the same day I tested it.......on the dive boat...... I was very disappointed because my expectation were too high. The best part was that the buyer is a friend who been using a Scubapro Split ( black ) open heel. He tested the full foot version and fell in love immediately.......he found it even lighter kicking.........poor guy.

So that was the story of my most expensive full foot and short lived one. If any nice people here have personaly tried a Scubapro split full foot against an Oceanic V-6 full foot , please let me know.... I realy want to make sure I am not the one with the wrong feet design :(

Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

CONFUSED............
IyaDiver

Guam_Diver once bubbled...
I have both the SP Twin Jets and Atomic Aquatics split fins. Actually the twin jets were a gift for my wife, but I've been "breaking them in" for her since she hasn't finished her OW cert yet. I prefer the Atomic Aquatics.....and I hope they won't fall apart like cbriggs77 said!! They are a bit stiffer and definately narrower. I'm gonna use the twin jets again this weekend to compare some more......

So what did you like better about the atomic aquatics?

I have the ScubaPro twinjets and love them, but my husband is looking for a new pair of fins and I have been looking for comparisons with the Atomic Splitfin vs the SP twinjets vs. the Mares Volo for him. I had purchased some Apollo Biofins from ScubaToys before I got the twinjets, and they were way too big for me in the foot pocket. Also, I didn't like the weight of them -- very heavy. So I got the SPTJ's locally.

ET

NetDoc once bubbled...
Especially since I made ADJUSTABLE spring straps for them.

I'd love to hear more about these adjustable SPRING straps. I have SP Twin Jets as well and have some difficulty getting them on and off. I at first thought maybe it was because I was a bit nervous about losing another pair fins in the Atlantic and spoiling the rest of my dives while in Fla.. but after diving a few more times back home I still have this difficulty. Care to share your thoughts? :)

I have a pair of split fins from Atomic and I feel they really are a great fin, as are most of the split fins manufactured. I don't use them in overhead environments as most split fin designs I've tried scubapro included don't work as well in a frog kick
I have had the Scubapro pair on and they work ok too, in the open water

Hey JamesK does this mean you are going to stop using your heavy black fins with three jet holes. I have a pair of those too.

I was highly skeptical, so my local dive shop said "Here, take these fins down to local pool and try them out"! I snorkeled a few laps (surface and bottom) and felt like I had an Evenrude strapped to my butt. Thier performance speaks for itself and confirms high ratings fins of this type have been getting the last few years.

Can someone describe the different style kick you are supposed to use with a split fin? I am unfamiliar with this.
Thanks, Tom

I am also kind of unfamilair with kicking techniques..well just in general. I think the flutter kick is the basic kick, but all the other ones...I am confused.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom