Scubapro X650

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walkerl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying my first reg and my LDS has a deal with the mk25/X650 for about $350. I was told that the mk25 is great and that the X650 is really nice too, but people think it's ugly so they discontinued it. Is this true? Is the only thing "wrong" with the X650 the "Darth Vader" look? If so, is this as good of a deal as it seems?

Aloha and thanks for any help,

Walker

PS - if it matters, I've only done about 25 dives but plan on doing a lot more. I'm also thinking of picking up a Halcyon Eclipse BCD.

I have the mk25/x650 and love it. This is one of the easiest breathing regs out there. Scubapro has discontinued it so you can pick up some pretty decent deals on them. Scubapro will continue to provide parts for them, when they need serviced. There was a recall on some of the x650's a couple of years ago, but if you are buying from a LDS you shouldn't have to worry about it though. This reg received the highest breathing score ever on Scuba Diving Mags test. Scubapro makes some the best regs.

25/650 is a fine combo, the only prob with a Halcyon bc setup is all the blue H makes you feel like their advertising *****! Great quality stuff though

Great deal for great regs. Make sure to get the latest design X650 with the blue X, and one that hasn't been recalled for the case materials.

Right X650's with a blue X are the upgraded version - but it would be very unlikely to encounter one of the old ones, especially from a dealer.

$350 is a great price and a Mk 25 X650 is a great reg.

I'm thinking of buying my first reg and my LDS has a deal with the mk25/X650 for about $350. I was told that the mk25 is great and that the X650 is really nice too, but people think it's ugly so they discontinued it. Is this true? Is the only thing "wrong" with the X650 the "Darth Vader" look? If so, is this as good of a deal as it seems?

I got the same setup. I actually like the Darth Vader look, the sound is there already anyway. :)

Nothing else to add, I'm very pleased with that reg.

OTOH, I yesterday went to a shop where I usually get my Scubapro goods, and found a sale on MK17 G250HP (not V, HP) Yoke for about 220 USD. I'm still thinking about it and getting it converted to DIN after (they have only Yoke sets on sale, Din kits are at regular price), the price looks like a killer... I already have Mk25 x650 & Mk2+ r390, so that would be a nice addition. :D

Thanks for all the help. I'm actually doing a dive tomorrow so I'm going to check out the deal and maybe pick one up.

evil_xander, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm pretty new to this stuff so I don't know what a yoke is or DIN or all that stuff. But thanks for the input on the mk25/X650 and I hope that your MK17/G250HP deal works out. I love toys and I say the more the better.

Aloha and thanks again,
Walker

Just curious, if the x650 was so good, why did SP discontinue it? ( I almost purchased the 650 a few years back, but went for the 600 instead)

anybody know how this reg does in cold water, 40-50 degrees? I am getting ready to take a trip to Lake Erie and my MK11 R295 is not made for cold water, so I do want to take any risks. A dive buddy of mine dives with the MK 25 X650, I know they take care of their gear, and they are willing to let me borrow. From what I understand it performs well in cold water, but I would like to hear some varied opinions?

anybody know how this reg does in cold water, 40-50 degrees? I am getting ready to take a trip to Lake Erie and my MK11 R295 is not made for cold water, so I do want to take any risks. A dive buddy of mine dives with the MK 25 X650, I know they take care of their gear, and they are willing to let me borrow. From what I understand it performs well in cold water, but I would like to hear some varied opinions?

There has been a bunch of posts about the mk17 X650 can do the look up on the search forums. Based on what they had said it was excellent for cold water, I remember a post that one person was down pretty deep dive to 140 to 180 feet down to 34F and never had any issues. I am from Minnesota and most of our diving is cold water. From the appearance the MK17 looks like a much better cold water reg due to the radiator fins on the first stage to warm up the internal parts and it is also environmentally sealed this vers the MK25 the fins are not anywhere near the same size. I didn't have any qualms about picking up this reg because of the great price I had gotten on it at a LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom