SDI Nitrox vs TDI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The TDI Nitrox course isn't that much "harder" or "difficult" at all. It gives you all the information you need to be a better nitrox diver. I recommend the full TDI course, no need to waste time with a watered down version of the course.

i saw this thread today and it comes at an interesting time for me. so i am glad i stumbled upon it. i would agree with the above statement by Burhan. if you are going to do it, do it right.
i do understand the reasoning behind why SDI decided to offer the course they do, but with respect to them, i do not believe this was the right thing to do.
i would make the comparison to teaching an ow class with dive table vs with just a computer. sure we can show a student very quickly and easily how use their dive computer to dive "safely" but what is it really teaching them. however, if we use the dive tables to better illustrate how the theory works, then are they not getting more knowledge from the course ? and would this not hopefully make them more capable divers ? i think so.
i took my initial nitrox training with a padi shop. i was provided with a very detailed text book. i did the reading. did the practice questions. met with an instructor who went over all the info to make sure i grasped all the concepts and wrote the exam. we went over tank analysis and labeling etc and even did two dives using the tanks i had analyzed. it was great.
while working to becoming an ssi instructor i learned that our shop taught the nitrox class basically the same way i was taught. it is not a tremendously difficult class as long as the instructor takes their time and eases the student through the process step by step. and you will come away with a much broader knowledge base then when you went in.
in my opinion, spending your hard earned time and money to simply be given a card that says you are a "nitrox diver" is a waste of resources. take a class that will actually teach you something new rather than teach you how to use a device strapped to your wrist.
and btw.....when my students ask why they need to know the tables in ow class, my answer still applies to this scenario.....what if your computer fails ? then what ?

Back
Top Bottom