SDI Nitrox vs TDI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble_blower87

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
SDI and TDI look like they offer the same classes such as Nitrox and sidemount. They also look as if they have the same prerequisites and outcomes. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The material required to safely dive nitrox for a given profile is the same, the math is the same, the MOD is the same...
The logo on the card doesn't change anything.

The material required to safely dive nitrox for a given profile is the same, the math is the same, the MOD is the same...
The logo on the card doesn't change anything.
Thanks I just assumed that since TDI was technical and SDI was recreational there may be a difference.

Also IF my memory serves me correctly SDI. And TDI. Are sister companies. SDI being the recreational arm of tdi...

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Also IF my memory serves me correctly SDI. And TDI. Are sister companies. SDI being the recreational arm of tdi...

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.
Thats why I thought it was odd they offer the 2 same classes if they arent any different.

SDI and TDI look like they offer the same classes such as Nitrox and sidemount. They also look as if they have the same prerequisites and outcomes. Can anyone shed some light on this?

This is a great question, and one that comes up from time to time.

Essentially, SDI Nitrox can be considered a "computer based" nitrox course. The student is trained in just the basic concepts needed to dive nitrox mixtures for sport diving.

TDI Nitrox goes into much more detail on how the calculations are made as well as planning dives manually using tables.

While the end result is similar, in that the diver will be trained to dive nitrox mixtures containing up to 40% oxygen; the TDI Nitrox course will give the diver more input on the "how" and "why" behind it which will better prepare the diver for continued technical training.

As for sidemount, the concept is similar. TDI sidemount covers topics not necessary for the sport diver. Topics and skills such as isolating malfunctioning posts, carrying additional stage/decompression cylinders, and more advanced buoyancy control and trim are taught in the TDI program but might not be in the SDI program.

You can find a more detailed description of each course on the SDI/TDI Website here: SDI Courses and TDI Courses. We also have a lot of great articles on our SDI and TDI blog pages on the subject. You can use the search function on the blog pages to find articles relating to both nitrox and sidemount diving.

We are happy to hear you are interested in continuing your education with SDI/TDI. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Well that pretty much covers it. I suppose I should stick with the SDI courses for now.

Disagree! Since when is more knowledge not a good thing?

Disclaimer I am not in any way affiliated with SDI / TDI except I like their courses.

Disagree! Since when is more knowledge not a good thing?

Disclaimer I am not in any way affiliated with SDI / TDI except I like their courses.
I just assume that I should have a basic knowledge about the gas, before going more technical in it. I simply have an OW certification. But I got into the sport because I want to cave dive period. I know it's a lot of work and i need to master my skills before getting to that level though. I was looking into a certification I could do online during the winter and thought these courses may be a good start. Being that the SDI course is not required for the TDI course I thought it might be kinda cool to have a TDI certification, but I don't want to do anything stupid either and get ahead of myself. I guess if they get me to the same point there couldn't be any harm in just taking the TDI course just maybe a little more work?

Reactions: Jax
I just assume that I should have a basic knowledge about the gas, before going more technical in it. I simply have an OW certification. But I got into the sport because I want to cave dive period. I know it's a lot of work and i need to master my skills before getting to that level though. I was looking into a certification I could do online during the winter and thought these courses may be a good start. Being that the SDI course is not required for the TDI course I thought it might be kinda cool to have a TDI certification, but I don't want to do anything stupid either and get ahead of myself. I guess if they get me to the same point there couldn't be any harm in just taking the TDI course just maybe a little more work?

TDI Nitrox will be a little more work, but it certainly would not be considered getting ahead of yourself. If your goal is to eventually get into cave and technical diving, there is no reason why you should not go straight for TDI Nitrox. It will get you a lot more of the information you will need later on, but not be outside the scope of what you are currently doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom