SDI Nitrox vs TDI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tHIS QUESTION HAS COME UP MANY TIMES. oops, I dont think that the issue is in the differences as much as what is that same. The course is intended to do very few but important things. those are the common goals. mod ead proceedures ect. As iI see it, the difference in the agency goals that make the differences of the course. For example PADI has no intrest in making tech divers out of any one. Nitrox is an end course for them. Iantd TDI and other similar agencies on the other hand would use nitrox as an entrance stepping stone to technical diving. As such there is more in the course for the purposes of preparing you for adv nitrox, deco, and trimix.

I remember going through nitrox. I though it was stupid the way they did some of their training especially in the area of EAD and tables ect. I though that since nitrox was 20-40% then why not just print 20 tables and be done with it. NOt till i did a trimix course and gave it a lot of thought, did i found out that what was stupid in nitrox then was necessary when it came to trimix. Because of that,,, trimix and END was piece of cake for me. When it comes to tables just how many possible gas combinations are there when you are using trimix? Basically EAD adn END are the same one is O2 vs nitrogen and the other is O2 and N2 vs helium. The process is the same only the participants have changed.

Take for example threads about rock bottom and need to calculate. Most will agree that it really is not necessary to do in the rec world. (depending how you define rec world). XXX psi and you head up , right? It is a principle that if learned CAN be used with no matter what level you are going to. Face it if yo know how to use a S.E.A. socket set you can use a metric with the same skill.

After taking nitrox I left with the concept that the more O2 the better. Not till I started looking into CNS and otu's did I see the evil of using best mix for the depth. Especially when diving 4+ dives a day. You just dont have problems when doing 1-2 dives. After that there was gas planning not just for the dive but for impact on future dives. None of that was considered in the nitrox class. The class was built around 2 dives a day or doing 2 tank boat dives as a premis. It was then that I learned that rec training is founded in STAY WITH IN PARAMETERS. As RonCo would say SET IT AND FORGET IT. As long as you do that you don't have to teach as much. You teach procedure and not understanding. That training method works fine for rec but not for tech.

For me bottom line is that PADI and like againcies, sells the course because it is a high demand, end of the rec world class ($$$$$). For other agencies nitrox is an intro level class to the technical training pipeline. I would guess a technical agencies nitrox is certainly overkill for the 70' divers. Likewise a PADI nitrox probably lacks the level of understanding that is going to be needed for doing >130' dives. That is not to say that if you are the type to mull over your training for months to come after completion, you will probably come to the same realizations of what the technical agencies classes convey, on your own. Not all of us are wired like that and therfor, padi nitrox may be the most sutable for most diving applications. I haven ever met anyone on a rec dive counting their otu's and cns%.

I take it I need to purchase an analyzer?

No. I used the shops. But you need to know how to use it including calibration. I had a different shop calibrate it just by hitting a button rather than putting it on an air tank and this was after they had been testing nitrox with it. Was off by several percent. I have an anlyzer but almost never use it since I get my fills at shops that have them and I test at the shop before picking up. Have had to have a couple fills readjusted because they were too rich.

I have SDI nitrox. While there are no dives that does not mean you do not meet with an instructor. You have to demonstrate that you know how to test a tank in the instructor's presence.

Kind of a silly requirement, to my mind, considering how many different analyzers there are, each with their own operational details.

I take it I need to purchase an analyzer?

No. I used the shops. But you need to know how to use it including calibration. I had a different shop calibrate it just by hitting a button rather than putting it on an air tank and this was after they had been testing nitrox with it. Was off by several percent. I have an anlyzer but almost never use it since I get my fills at shops that have them and I test at the shop before picking up. Have had to have a couple fills readjusted because they were too rich.

No, but what Steve_C says . . . ^^^

I have my own analyzer, because I want to know what shape the analyzer is in, when the battery was replaced, and when the O2 sensor was replaced. It's my life.

... Have had to have a couple fills readjusted because they were too rich.
If it tests off, (for doubles) invert the cylinder and leave it alone for 5 min, you can roll a single for a minute or two. Re-test. If it changed, it just didn't have time to mix properly. If if didn't change, it is off.

I have my own analyzer for all the same reasons given above.

My TDI Nitrox course made the subsequent Advanced Nitrox material just a review. I'd recommend it if you can find one locally.

My TDI Nitrox course made the subsequent Advanced Nitrox material just a review. I'd recommend it if you can find one locally.
Kind of what I was hoping. I am looking for one in NC as we speak. Not many individuals have replied to my inquires though.

Where in NC?

Back
Top Bottom