SDI Nitrox vs TDI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kind of a silly requirement, to my mind, considering how many different analyzers there are, each with their own operational details.

My TDI cert required a few hours classroom session which I did at the dive shop before being passed. Basically the instructor covered the entire portion at speed while I nodded at every opportunity affirming familiarity with the material. FWIW I was thankful to be demo'ed the analyzer with proper instructions on airflow rate etc. After that whenever I was handed an analyzer by the boat crew on the last-minute check when swapping tanks, the slight difference in analyzers didnt puzzle me too much as long as I remembered to control the flow rate from the tank using the the audible hissing sound as a guide.

Given the nature of the sport, assuming that a diver will eventually figure out how to use one over his diving life is a risky practice. I would advise skipping a course that does not require a mandatory in-person briefing session.

Pearlman

Hmmmm. . . I received my TDI Nitrox card from a 'pure' on-line course (no required dives).

The standards are here: https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u...idual/TDI Diver Standards_06_Nitrox_Diver.pdf

Specifically:
Confined Water (swimming pool-like conditions)
1. N/A​
Open Water (ocean, lake, quarry, spring, river or estuary)
1. Since entry level nitrox is essentially an informational and academic based course, no dives are specifically required as there are no skills to evaluate.
2. Optional dives are desirable to effectively demonstrate the advantages of EAN use in practical field use. If scheduled, no direct instructor supervision is required but dives should not be conducted in environments that may exceed the existing skill or depth levels of the student.​

You make a great point and are absolutely correct, there are no dives required for TDI Nitrox.

However, if you read a bit further down in the standards, you will find the Required Skill Performance and Graduation Requirements which require the student to demonstrate several skills such as proper gas analysis and cylinder labeling. These skills must be performed in the presence of a qualified TDI Instructor.

You make a great point and are absolutely correct, there are no dives required for TDI Nitrox.

However, if you read a bit further down in the standards, you will find the Required Skill Performance and Graduation Requirements which require the student to demonstrate several skills such as proper gas analysis and cylinder labeling. These skills must be performed in the presence of a qualified TDI Instructor.

Thanks for the clarification. As I indicated previously, I did my course entirely on line back in 2008. Standards may have changed, or I slipped through. Somehow I've managed to avoid dying between the class and now, so something must have worked :D

If you have the option to choose between the two courses, I'd choose the TDI course without any doubt at all. The TDI course is what a nitrox course needs to be at the absolute minimum.

For example PADI has no intrest in making tech divers out of any one. Nitrox is an end course for them.
For me bottom line is that PADI and like againcies, sells the course because it is a high demand, end of the rec world class ($$$$$).

This is pretty much absurd.

As someone who is certified to teach technical diving courses for PADI through trimix, I have no idea where you get the idea that PADI has no interest in making technical divers out of anyone. If have no such interest, why do they offer technical classes?

As for your ($$$$$) implication, are you telling me that instructors for other agencies are not paid for the classes they teach? I teach for TDI as well, and it may shock you to learn that I am just as interested in getting paid when I teach a TDI class as when I teach a PADI class.

Another good reason for TDI is, if you like HOG regs, you can take the course to repair them.

SDI and TDI look like they offer the same classes such as Nitrox and sidemount. They also look as if they have the same prerequisites and outcomes. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Bubble Blower,

As a follow up to the original question: https://www.tdisdi.com/sdi-vs-tdi-vs-erdi/

Hopefully this will help clarify things for others in the future as well.

It's been mentioned before, a lot can be the instructor,

For instance, at my shop there are several SDI/TDI nitrox instructors. One has no technical diving background and prefers sticking to the Material. Myself, I've been tech diving for over 10 years, teaching for 15 including rebreather as well. I've prepared my own lecture and course. Depends what you want out of the course, just a card for the holidays or a stepping stone to Tech diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubble Blower,

As a follow up to the original question: https://www.tdisdi.com/sdi-vs-tdi-vs-erdi/

Hopefully this will help clarify things for others in the future as well.
I have a big head and we'll just say I was a big reason why this article was written! Haha no but really, cool article. It really does shed a little light to a new diver.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom