SDI Nitrox vs TDI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TDI Nitrox will be a little more work, but it certainly would not be considered getting ahead of yourself. If your goal is to eventually get into cave and technical diving, there is no reason why you should not go straight for TDI Nitrox. It will get you a lot more of the information you will need later on, but not be outside the scope of what you are currently doing.
Is there any mandatory class work involved here or can this certification be completed entirely online with eLearning? Last question I swear. Thanks for all the help!

Is there any mandatory class work involved here or can this certification be completed entirely online with eLearning? Last question I swear. Thanks for all the help!

The main difference between recreational and technical diving is the mindset that when the SHTF, only you and your brain can get you out of it.

Recreational divers tend to keep only that there is a Maximum Operating Depth and to analyze their gas.

Technical divers will not only remember all that, but will have the knowledge to calculate other gas, so if you have a big fail and have to go on someone else' gas, you know the proper profiles of the gas your team members have. If you run late and test the gas on the boat, and find it 'different', you will know the impact on your diving and profile.

I dove with someone once who had an absolute hissy fit because his Nitrox came out at 33.5%, and he had Nitrox tables for only 32% and 36%. He couldn't handle it.

[I gave up my tanks and took his, because mine were 32. 4.]

The main difference between recreational and technical diving is the mindset that when the SHTF, only you and your brain can get you out of it.

Recreational divers tend to keep only that there is a Maximum Operating Depth and to analyze their gas.

Technical divers will not only remember all that, but will have the knowledge to calculate other gas, so if you have a big fail and have to go on someone else' gas, you know the proper profiles of the gas your team members have. If you run late and test the gas on the boat, and find it 'different', you will know the impact on your diving and profile.

I dove with someone once who had an absolute hissy fit because his Nitrox came out at 33.5%, and he had Nitrox tables for only 32% and 36%. He couldn't handle it.

[I gave up my tanks and took his, because mine were 32. 4.]

I am sure that I have so much to learn before I go to the technical level. I was told I am very calm and pay attention to details during the dives I made. I am hoping this will help as I move forward. Right now I don't understand why those percentages matter so much so I am willing to take me time and take it all in. I'm not looking to go to deep to fast. I just like to dream and plan a lot.......

I opted for the TDI Nitrox a year back even though I am a vacation diver only. I was more comfortable doing the high school level math and some tables than relying on a black box computer. In the end you still have to revise your course material each year or before each dive vacation if you are diligent, else it all amounts to nothing. Memory fades ...
Dont expect jazz in the TDI CBT - it looks dated but so does a pen and paper you jot down your calculations on ..

I opted for the TDI Nitrox a year back even though I am a vacation diver only. I was more comfortable doing the high school level math and some tables than relying on a black box computer. In the end you still have to revise your course material each year or before each dive vacation if you are diligent, else it all amounts to nothing. Memory fades ...
Dont expect jazz in the TDI CBT - it looks dated but so does a pen and paper you jot down your calculations on ..
Well I think I can handle some math! Better be or this electronics degree probably wont do much hahahah!

Reactions: Jax
No worries, that's what we're here for :)

Both the SDI and TDI Nitrox courses require a practical session with an instructor.

Hmmmm. . . I received my TDI Nitrox card from a 'pure' on-line course (no required dives).

The standards are here: https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u...idual/TDI Diver Standards_06_Nitrox_Diver.pdf

Specifically:
Confined Water (swimming pool-like conditions)
1. N/A​
Open Water (ocean, lake, quarry, spring, river or estuary)
1. Since entry level nitrox is essentially an informational and academic based course, no dives are specifically required as there are no skills to evaluate.
2. Optional dives are desirable to effectively demonstrate the advantages of EAN use in practical field use. If scheduled, no direct instructor supervision is required but dives should not be conducted in environments that may exceed the existing skill or depth levels of the student.​

Hmmmm. . . I received my TDI Nitrox card from a 'pure' on-line course (no required dives).

The standards are here: https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u...idual/TDI Diver Standards_06_Nitrox_Diver.pdf

Specifically:
Confined Water (swimming pool-like conditions)
1. N/A​
Open Water (ocean, lake, quarry, spring, river or estuary)
1. Since entry level nitrox is essentially an informational and academic based course, no dives are specifically required as there are no skills to evaluate.
2. Optional dives are desirable to effectively demonstrate the advantages of EAN use in practical field use. If scheduled, no direct instructor supervision is required but dives should not be conducted in environments that may exceed the existing skill or depth levels of the student.​
When did you do this and was it straight from the TDI eLearn site? I believe that one fella works for them so things may have changed.

I have SDI nitrox. While there are no dives that does not mean you do not meet with an instructor. You have to demonstrate that you know how to test a tank in the instructor's presence.

When did you do this and was it straight from the TDI eLearn site? I believe that one fella works for them so things may have changed.

Sorry I don't recall, I took the TDI class back in 2008. Standards much have changed regarding the use of the supervised use of analyzer

Back
Top Bottom