SDI Solo Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve,

I'm afraid I'm serious. I was introduced to diving in the late 70s by a family member. I spent the next decade begging fills from dad's friends in the Navy. By the time I 'went legit', I'd already developed the 'bad habit' of not logging dives. I've just never seen any value in keeping dive logs, outside of 'proving' experience. I've always found the best judge is a dive to evaluate skills.

BTW, my last course was PADI AOW in 1995, which is easily verified. But I doubt that alone meets the requirement. I also have dives recorded at the local aquarium, but I'm not sure shallow, though confined/overhead, dives quite qualify. The only pictures I suspect I could lay my hands on are from 24hr charity dives.

I'm waiting to hear back from the instructor in NC, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback, there may be hope yet...

Mike

Mike..,

just a suggestion you may have already thought of (or dismissed)

I had a friend who also never logged anything. Like you the time came to produce some type of logbook to prove a certain amount of experience. Because he and I had done ump-teen dozen dives together, he called me out of the blue, came over and went through my log books, recording dates and times we dove. He got over 200 dives 'validated' for lack of a better word.

If you did any amount of diving with anyone who use to keep a logbook, track them down and go through their stuff. Even if you have lost touch, I'm sure they won;t mind (unless it's an ex of course :^)

Steve,

I'm afraid I'm serious. I was introduced to diving in the late 70s by a family member. I spent the next decade begging fills from dad's friends in the Navy....

:D You're not the first and I doubt the last to follow that particular habit Mike.

What you have going for you by the sound of it, is a pretty good track record going back through several years which confirms that you have stayed active. In the final analysis, it's up to your instructor, but I think you may get a by after a short discussion. You sound genuine and you sound interested; and you don't sound like a nutbar... all good things in my opinion!

By what you have mentioned here, you should meet the rest of the prerequisites. I would personally suggest a nitrox cert if you do not already have it... I've rarely dove anything but since I turned 40 and I honestly think... no, I know... it's helped keep me out of trouble.

Have fun with the class. Hope you find it a challenge. Hope it changes the way you plan and conduct ALL your dives.

Stay safe.

Thanks Steve...

Want a good laugh? I did a Nitrox course back in 2002, but didn't get the cert because I never turned in my dive logs.:rofl3:

Did the class, passed the test, planned the dive, got the mix, and did the dive...but didn't get the card because they needed the logs! Oh well... Seemed like diminishing returns at the time. I really wasn't that interested in Nitrox once I worked out the details.

I dove with a group from Jetsam (KISS) back in 2001 at Hoods Canal (Puget Sound), and really fell in love with the rebreather. Now that I've settled down and I'm finally getting to the point where I might be able to afford one, I'll have to take Nitrox again to get the Rebreather cert. :dork2:

It's all good. I just like blowing bubbles. Drives my wife nuts, anytime I'm stressed she loses me for a few hours, even if it's only to a pool. :D

Thanks again Steve.

BTW Ditch, Good idea, but I've never had a regular 'buddy'. I spent my years bouncing around with the Army, and then as a professional consultant (>300 days a year traveling). I pretty much went solo in the early -> mid `80s. Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve,

Is there an instructor teaching the solo diver course in or around Pattaya, Thailand?

I have done a search of the LDS here and could not find one, I am interested in doing the course.

Try to contact Ben Reymenants... he is one of our top ITs and works in Thailand... great guy and a VERY experienced diver.

ben.reymenants@tdisdi.com

If you have any probs getting him, let me know... I have other ways to raise him <LOL>

Try to contact Ben Reymenants... he is one of our top ITs and works in Thailand... great guy and a VERY experienced diver.

ben.reymenants@tdisdi.com

If you have any probs getting him, let me know... I have other ways to raise him <LOL>

Steve - Thanks a lot - finally did my solo course with James Thornton Allen @ Big Blue Tech, Koh Tao, Thailand........................great course, learn't a lot and had some fun.

Steve - Thanks a lot - finally did my solo course with James Thornton Allen @ Big Blue Tech, Koh Tao, Thailand........................great course, learn't a lot and had some fun.

Great. Happy you had fun! Dive Safe

Hi Steve,
I understand you are knowledgeable on the SDI Solo course. I am trying to find out what the diver is expected to know. The skills requirement is pretty straightforward, but it is not clear how one would know what knowledge is required, and in what detail.
Cheers,
Peter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom