SDI solo diver question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenny918

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all, I have been checking around about taking a solo diver class. The only agency I have found is SDI, and I found an instructor. My question is ,what should I expect out of this class. What new skills ? I have heard things like "making an ascent from 100' without a mask". Any imformation would be appreciated. Also, I do dive with a buddy, I just feel like this class would make me a better dive buddy, and open up some new adventures. Thanks and safe diving ! Kenny

Why not ask the instructor? SDI/TDI classes can vary a lot from one instructor to another. Unlike with some other agencies, few, if any, SDI/TDI instructors teach to the minimum standards. Your instructor will probably add those skills that he feels appropriate to the kind of diving that you will be doing.

Have not taken this class but have taken another solo cert. Essentially the course I took was more an evaluation of my skills as a diver as opposed to a teaching class.

The essential issue is: are you capable of solving unexpected problems under water by yourself. Some discussion about gear, redundancy, dive planning, etc. However by 100 dives (the minimum required) you really should'nt need much "training" for these things. Diving with a buddy doesn't really change the requirements except that YOU must carry any gear you consider as essential for doing the planned dive safely as opposed to relying on your buddy to carry it. What that gear is will depend on the dive, your skills and the level of risk you deem acceptable. Personally I don't buy in to the "you must carry "X" if you solo dive" philosophy where "X" is the mandated list of equipment. Much rather use the grey matter between my ears and make my own decisions.

The problems I was asked to solve were things like equipment failure (he managed to get my BC auto inflator disconnected about 10 seconds after I checked it before entering the water which really surprised me - gave him a good look at how I dealt with surprise equipment failures), OOA switch to redundant gas and surface on redundant gas, entanglement, line deployment, doff and don. Maskless ascent was off the table as I had another very expensive course a few days later that required three days of diving and I didn't want to risk a sinus problem, always an issue for me if I lose a mask and get water up my nose. This other course had a very large component of mask off drills so there was an assumption I could handle it. I would expect that you will have to deal with a lost mask. You will want to be able to deal with a mask that is knocked off as a surprise, swim and surface in control without it - or at a minimum retrieve your spare and recover. Personally I would want to be able to surface with no mask.

I would expect the instructor to help you find your comfort level and limits more than give you specific training.

I did it back in 2001 and it is more of a theory course and a skills check! If your a "Diver" the skills should be there and the solo part is like Cave training and covers redundancy! It is worth while and relieves many operators from liability of baby sitting you on certain dives! Protocol, procedure, and Equipment define the Solo Diver!

"making an ascent from 100' without a mask".

Never heard of this ... pretty much every solo diver I've ever encountered knows enough to carry a spare mask ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting - I carry a spare mask here, but don't in tropical water. The rational being that in tropical water I can see well enough to recover my mask if I were to lose it most times. Here not so much. Also don't have pockets in my tropical gear. In any event I want to be able to surface without it in either environment (not particualrly difficult).

Thanks to all for your input. I am comfortable with the no mask breathing, during stress and rescue a few years ago we had to make a dive without our mask. And even now I still practice reg retrievals and mask floods/removal on almost every dive during safety stop. I just like to keep these skills fresh. I also started carrying a 40 ft pony tank on my last few dives and am trying different ways to configure my gear setup. I guess I'll add a redundant mask to my setup, hadnt really thought about it before but makes alot of sense. Thanks again for your input and dive safe.
Kenny

Interesting - I carry a spare mask here, but don't in tropical water.

Is this freshwater (here) versus saltwater (tropical?)

I would think saltwater on the eyeballs would be very uncomfortable.

Interesting - I carry a spare mask here, but don't in tropical water. The rational being that in tropical water I can see well enough to recover my mask if I were to lose it most times.

I would question that assumption. The clarity of the water makes little difference. In the absence of an air pocket between the water column and your eyeball, you can't see squat.

You may be right - when I wrote that it did make me think, would it really be easier. I think you get a little more visability in tropical water - there is at least more light if nothing else. In any event no pockets in my tropical gear and have yet to lose a mask ever so will rely on surfacing. But it did make me rethink which is why I am here (scubaboard) after all.

Have done the surfacing thing when a mask failed - completely flooded in about 2 seconds and would not clear - just reflooded. Had a buddy and no spare so just had to call the dive.

Re salt water in your eyes don't recall it ever being a serious issue. The course mentioned earlier had mask off for long periods of time - buddy assist swim a course with no mask, hold a depth with no mask, share air with no mask and I don't recall any salt water stinging issues. Cold hitting my forehead like a spike when the mask comes off - perhaps that just masks the eye pain:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom