SDI/TDI Solo Diving Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turbo][

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know where one can take this course in the Los Angeles Area? I like to fine tune my skill with this course regardless if I end up solo diving or not.

Turbo][:
Anyone know where one can take this course in the Los Angeles Area? I like to fine tune my skill with this course regardless if I end up solo diving or not.
Just looked at your profile and if your # of dives shown are correct you have a ways to go for solo. It requires a minimum of 100 dives as a prerequisite. I teach this course but you need to be very strong in the water and 0-15 dives is not enough to reach that goal. Keep diving with your buddies and enjoy the company. Solo diving is not to be taken lightly.

I agree with wedivebc You should not even consider this certification unless you have at a minimum 100 logged dives. I also teach this course and no instructor that I know of will take on anyone unless they see the log and observe the divers skills and knowledge. I have said no to divers who are great in the water but have failed to meet the other requirements for this cert. like logging their dives.

I'm anxiously awaiting that 100 mark even tho I've got 8 solo's logged now. Two of them to over 90 ft, and one at 70-80. Ive been to the web site and called the affiliates near me and none teach it. I'm seriously thinking of traveling next spring just for this course. Do I really need it maybe not but I'm doing my dives in the same spot and under virtually the same conditions where I've done 3/4 of my ow dives including assisting with students as a DM candidate. I do not however do solo when students are present. It's just not good policy. When I solo I carry a slung 19 cu ft pony which can get me up from 100 ft w/stop, safely. I've practiced with a buddy present to be sure. In fact starting with 3000 in it I end up w/between 400-600 psi. I also carry a smb, lift bag(25kilo), and 140 ft reel. Usually 3 lights and back up timer, and depth guage in addition to my computer. They are also for specific tasks such as setting a line, practicing uw nav techniques, cleaning off santa claus, or determing dive conditions BEFORE the students arrive on site. So why do I want the cert, because I may travel to a place that would require it for me to dive solo. I also want the experience and knowledge that an instructor could impart to me. I'm planning on getting the solo dive text but I'm not sure which one. Would appreciate any recommendations guys. Diving solo is not something I approach casually. This may be wrong but I will spend twice as much time going over my dive plan and gear before hitting the water. I also make sure that someone knows where I'm going, how deep I plan to go, what I'm going down for, and approximately how long I will be down. I usually surface a few minutes ahead of that time because I do dive conservative profiles and am even more so when diving solo. Maybe that's why I get so nervous when divers show up alone at the lake seem to have trouble just assembling their gear, are obviously overweighted, carry no redundant air supply, no reel, or even a light and just walk in and dive. Especially when they surface 3 min later because the tank has come out of their bc! This really happened! We got his tank back in and then watched him spend 30-40 seconds trying to go down but could not because he was inflating his bc! Kicking like crazy but he just could not get the air out of the dumps fast enough with that inflator! It would have been funny if it were not so scary and tragic. Enough, I'm tired and gotta get up early. Really would appreciate some advice on reading material tho. Jim

Yes, I know the 100 logged dives, will probably get it by March/April. I am on a crash course to tech diving.

Unfortunately, I have tried contacting alot of the "local" places within California, and none has gotten back to me weither they teach this course or not.

JimLap:
I'm anxiously awaiting that 100 mark even tho I've got 8 solo's logged now. Two of them to over 90 ft, and one at 70-80. Ive been to the web site and called the affiliates near me and none teach it. I'm seriously thinking of traveling next spring just for this course. Do I really need it maybe not but I'm doing my dives in the same spot and under virtually the same conditions where I've done 3/4 of my ow dives including assisting with students as a DM candidate. I do not however do solo when students are present. It's just not good policy. When I solo I carry a slung 19 cu ft pony which can get me up from 100 ft w/stop, safely. I've practiced with a buddy present to be sure. In fact starting with 3000 in it I end up w/between 400-600 psi. I also carry a smb, lift bag(25kilo), and 140 ft reel. Usually 3 lights and back up timer, and depth guage in addition to my computer. They are also for specific tasks such as setting a line, practicing uw nav techniques, cleaning off santa claus, or determing dive conditions BEFORE the students arrive on site. So why do I want the cert, because I may travel to a place that would require it for me to dive solo. I also want the experience and knowledge that an instructor could impart to me. I'm planning on getting the solo dive text but I'm not sure which one. Would appreciate any recommendations guys. Diving solo is not something I approach casually. This may be wrong but I will spend twice as much time going over my dive plan and gear before hitting the water. I also make sure that someone knows where I'm going, how deep I plan to go, what I'm going down for, and approximately how long I will be down. I usually surface a few minutes ahead of that time because I do dive conservative profiles and am even more so when diving solo. Maybe that's why I get so nervous when divers show up alone at the lake seem to have trouble just assembling their gear, are obviously overweighted, carry no redundant air supply, no reel, or even a light and just walk in and dive. Especially when they surface 3 min later because the tank has come out of their bc! This really happened! We got his tank back in and then watched him spend 30-40 seconds trying to go down but could not because he was inflating his bc! Kicking like crazy but he just could not get the air out of the dumps fast enough with that inflator! It would have been funny if it were not so scary and tragic. Enough, I'm tired and gotta get up early. Really would appreciate some advice on reading material tho. Jim

Hey Jim,
This is the text I use when teaching solo diving but from your post are you sure you haven't read it already? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1881652289/diveglobal/102-6428577-3411322

Jim,

I have Von Maier's book on solo diving. I'm not sure it is what you are looking for. Not that it is a bad book, I actually think it is a good one. The problem is that it was written as an introductory text. From your post it looks like you are looking more for something more in depth.

I am certainly no expert on anything with as few of dives as I have in, so please forgive the “butting in” on this thread. However, I felt a need to state this......

100 dives in itself does not necessarily qualify you for solo diving. The idea of the 100 dives is not a magic number, but is a theory that you will likely have “experienced” a number of problems, and handled them safely. It is an assumption that you have the correct “attitude” and “frame of mind”, are disciplined and ready to be self sufficient in an emergency. If not, you may be dead. Do not make the mistake that just because you jump in the water 100 times with a tank and stay down 20 ft for 20 minutes in calm and warm waters, no current, and never have problems, that you are ready for solo diving. Solo diving is not just about getting a “C” card.

It is always going to be more dangerous than diving with a “good” buddy who can help (if necessary) in an unforeseen emergency (and the emergencies will come according to Murphy). Note: I also agree that bad buddies, and/or panicked buddies can sometimes be more dangerous than diving alone. Solo (as well as technical) divers must have the experience and mental ability to be 100% self sufficient in these types of emergencies, and able to function without panicking. That is easier to say than do. Many people cannot EVER achieve that state regardless of how many dives they dive, and therefore should probably not consider solo (or technical) diving. Solo (and tech) diving should not be about “thrill seeking”. That mentality, with lack of true experience, could get you killed. The risk may be acceptable to you, but do you have others to think about as well?

I am excited for you, as I have been walking these paths also. The further I go, however, the more I realize how far I have yet to go. The Solo cert is just a card. They may teach you about redundancies and self sufficiency’s, but books and tests are no replacement for experience. Don’t rush it. (And yes I am a hypocrite, as I did not want to hear all of this either). I have done a lot of reading on accidents and deaths of solo and tec divers to try to learn from them, and I keep reminding myself that many of them are highly trained and experienced people, with 1,000’s of dives, and they still make mistakes, panic, and DIE. It can and does happen all the time. None of the victim’s go into the water thinking it will happen to them.

If you are determined, find a good experienced mentor to guide you through the programs, who can get to know you and give you a more non-biased opinion of your readiness than you judging yourself. It could save your life. You may have to ask around for a while (you have time). SDI’s lists of solo instructors is somewhat limited compared to the people actually certified to teach. My instructor/mentor holds an instructors credential for SDI solo, but is not on their site, because he no longer has his own dive shop. He does teach for a dive shop, but does the solo on the side (shop does not endorse the class). He is probably one of the most qualified in the area to teach it too. So look around.

Now….all of that said, I am not an opponent to solo diving, as I love it and prefer it to being in water with others (that’s just me). You just need to make sure you are 110% ready for it, if you decide to do it (or to continue to do it).

Good luck!

-Steve :14:

As an FYI having this certification will dramatically increase your risk rating for life insurance. This may be one of those courses where getting the training is better than turning in the paperwork for the C-Card.

Back
Top Bottom