Sea Tiger in 150 ft Viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I´d love to dive that wreck! Both Catherine´s and the ones in the link (stefans?) really make me want to go diving...great viz too...the time you could get on the wreck with doubles and the pics I could take with my little camera...I wish Hawaii was closer...

well, come on over. Hotel open for three more months, grazie. Dennis and herbman...August. Yes, RH, I may take it with Dennis in Canada if I can scrape up a drysuit.....and hire a law enforcement person to babysit. In the meantime, I have to hear about all your classes...

My photo class with Mike Veitch has to get paid for first. He seems like the type that might turn my air off if the check bounces.

Does anyone know if the amount of sediment (silt, etc) stays constant at the Sea Tiger? What variables effect this? I did notice some biorusting but what else is down there and ...does the silt on a wreck change much?

Catherine, I cannot commit to DIR so to avoid being a hyprocrite, I chose TDI. It helped that my LDS is a TDI shop. I took one class in Cozumel and the other locally. I have to finish my checkout dives in Key West as my instructor is going down there to dive the Wilkes-Barre. Either Key West or a lake and the decision was clear to me. :)

Well, the other day there were these cavern divers on the boat, and I said so...what is the most respected tech diving agency? (just to see what they would say) And they talked it over, sounded like they had different training backgrounds and then they said TDI.

I am always so curious about what people think, not what actually IS...but I will see someone and watch them, and find myself wondering, "what is their background, where did they come from, what do they think....I am insatiable like that.

So, is TDI less...dogmatic RH? (for lack of a better word) As an agency?

DIR is a philosophy, so not sure we can compare....but you know what I mean.

usually people choose what is close to them..

TDI is less dogmatic about gear configurations and deep air. Your instructor wants your gear to be safe, but it doesn't have to be a clone of your buddy's. In the early classes, there is more emphasis on Nitrox and none on helium. You learn to dive to 150 feet on air with deco on rich Nitrox. You don't necessarily have to dive doubles, but you do need 2 regulators which would mean an H-valve on a big single tank. You learn to dive with deco bottles. The most difficult skill I've done so far is to find my deco bottle among others tied off to a buoy with no mask, clip it back on and make my way back to the instructor following a line in order to get my mask back. I think you would like the class.

catherine96821:
well, come on over. Hotel open for three more months, grazie. Dennis and herbman...August. Yes, RH, I may take it with Dennis in Canada if I can scrape up a drysuit.....and hire a law enforcement person to babysit. In the meantime, I have to hear about all your classes...

My photo class with Mike Veitch has to get paid for first. He seems like the type that might turn my air off if the check bounces.

Does anyone know if the amount of sediment (silt, etc) stays constant at the Sea Tiger? What variables effect this? I did notice some biorusting but what else is down there and ...does the silt on a wreck change much?
As I recall, there was a lot of biorust & other particulate "percolation", deep inside the engine room machinery spaces (and don't go down there until you're suitably trained & equipped), and that completely clouded the interior viz up fast!:gulp18:

really?...thanks for that Kev. I noticed more this last time than the first time and it made me wonder about that. My daughter did a science fair project on biorusting of wrecks and bacterial counts or something for Punahou..
We are mostly just enjoying the beautiful lighting in the first section. Did anyone see that image someone posted of the Sea Tiger before it was sunk? Leesa, do you still have it? I think it was Duane. Oh shoot, when was Rick speaking at Sea Lancer's. I hope I did not miss that.

TheRedHead:
TDI is less dogmatic about gear configurations and deep air. Your instructor wants your gear to be safe, but it doesn't have to be a clone of your buddy's.

In the TDI classes that I have taken, my gear did have to match my buddies, although it didn't have to match what as the latest and the greatest that was fashionable on the internet. It was just the broad stuff like left post/right post. We talked about which pocket we put out backup mask in, but it was usually different. We had slightly different gas switching procedures and tables/gradient factors we were diving, but we got that squared away quickly. :D

DIE, mine didn't insist on matching as long as you and your buddy are squared away with each other's gear. I think that is another big difference: TDI leaves a lot up to the instructor. The text talks about the pros and cons of all kinds of gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom