Sealife DC310 VS Olympus C-5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Olympus is a full featured 5mp camera with at least 3 well known quality housings rated from 100 to 200+ ft. You have P, A, S, and M modes to choose from as well as preset auto settings for clouds, portraits, etc. All features are accessable in the housings.

The Sealife is a 3mp which only offers auto mode, if I'm not mistaken. It has a depth limit of 200ft. The only advantage with the Sealife is you get the housing with the camera for just a bit less than the Oly camera alone. I'm pretty sure you're restricted to the Sealife strobes and lenses but I could be wrong.

So it would come down to what results you expect and/or the type of photography you plan to do.

I recently bought the Oly C-5050 from Newegg.com for $579 and the housing for $159

I've been looking hard at the SeaLife 3.3 meg pixel series camera..........for $600-650, it seems like a good deal for the camera, housing, AND big external strobe...

does anyone have some pictures posted of the results of the sealife series, whether the 250 2 megpixel, or 300/310 3.3megpixel?

I've just recently purchased a Sealife 300 and although I don't have any pictures on the web can send some if required. Please P/M me with your email and I'll send them on.

One thing I used the internal flash and this didn't always work ( should've read the manual before diving ). Although some of the pictures are pretty good.

Look at the post "1st Digi Pics" to see some photos I took with a DC 250 just a couple of weeks ago in Key Largo. The Sealife system is capable of producing some decent images. The main difference I can see between the Sealife cameras and say an Oly housed, is that the Sealife's best images still lack that beautiful "tranparency", although it does come close. I think this is due to the quality of the camera in the housing. The Dc250 is actually a Vivitar Vivicam 2.1 megapixel camera. I saw it in my local Walmart's camera section. Walmart also has the 3.3 megapixel Vivicam, which I am assuming is what is used in the DC300/310. The Sealife version has some extra features: "land and Sea" exposure setting, and the ability to set it for use with an external strobe. Reading the online Vivitar manual, and the manual that came with the DC 250, they appear to be identical, other than what I just mentioned above. I think the Sealife systems, while a bit overpriced, are decent for new photographers due to their user friendly point and shoot platform, and the ability to produce decent images.

KeyLargoBrent once bubbled...
I'm also interested in this setup for underwater point-n-shoot photography. I believe ZoCrowes255 recently purchased either the DC-250 or DC-310, but I haven't seen his related posts/pics.

What controls does the 310 offer over the 300?

As far as I'm aware the 310 is the same as the 300 but allows full control of the camera whilst underwater. The 300 allows you to turn the power on and off and preview pictures taken only, think the 310 allows you to change the quality, size etc too.

Although I havent taken any photos with the Sealife 310, I am impressed by the small siz of the camera, and housing, and the controls that you have over the camera, even underwater. Editing is possible, and you have access to all the camera's features.

I still dont think it compares to the Oly 5050, but for the price, its a nice starter camera. I think its a good value.

I just purchased the 310 with strobe for 699. I have found that you must have very good batteries such as energizer e2 or their lithium 2100. I also found that you must charge their batteries for 12 hours after the green light comes on. Of course i did not and I got 10 pics before I lost power and missed a green moray, several goliath grouper and a carribean reef shark. These are some of the pics i got but keep in mind I have never used an underwater camera before and I wasnt able to take enough pics to get the hang of it. These are from a dive yesterday in Jupiter fl at lagger head reef at 75feet, great sunny day.

well it says the file is to big to send, if you give me your email il send them to you.

I just bought the 310 with strobe, and think I'll be taking it all back.........

the Sealife 3.3 meg pixel camera is made by Vivitar, and you can buy it at Walmart for $159.........maybe Sealife has revised some of the firmware in it, but who knows. But still you're spending BIG bucks for the set-up, and for close to the same amount of money, I'm now thinking of getting a Nikon 4300 4 meg pixel and a Fantasea housing (I've got a 2 meg pixel nikon and it takes GREAT photos)

Sealife 3.3 megpixel and strobe @ $699

or

Nikon 4 megpixel @ $350 and a $150 housing = $500.

then with the $200 difference put that towards a bigger strobe, or try the Sealife strobe which you can get for $169.

Sealife takes "okay" land shots, but with no optical zoom or real exposure control........

Like I said, I'm taking my 310 back as it seems more a prepackaged gimmick than a real nice camera. Especially when you're spending upwards of $700 on a $160 Walmart camera in a housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom