Sealife Reefmaster Mini-- White Display Screen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So after the "drop-tested to 6 feet" camera fell roughly a foot and a half onto its lower right front corner, the display screen comes up white when I turn the camera on. I went to the Sealife website and found my regional rep. in Dubai. I tried contacting them multiple times, but typical Middle East-- no answer. (phone and e-mail)

Is this a simple problem that I can fix? I've asked around for a digital camera repair shop, but no one knows of one (I get vague "maybe in the souks" responses).

Well, as it turns out, as I learned, since the camera was bought used from someone (who had only put 2 dives on the camera), despite the "shockproof" claim, I am looking at almost the cost of a new camera to ship and replace the LCD screen. I don't have an original receipt, so the camera can't be sent back, even directly to the States. So I'll be buying a new camera.

Just so people are aware, and I learned the hard way, the "shockproof" test to 6 feet for the Reefmaster Mini isn't accurate, nor is the durability / ruggedness of the camera all it's hyped up to be.

I hope others have a better experience with Sealife's products. I guess not seeing many people on the beach here with Sealife cameras isn't just because they're not sold in Doha... :(

Well, as it turns out, as I learned, since the camera was bought used from someone (who had only put 2 dives on the camera), despite the "shockproof" claim, I am looking at almost the cost of a new camera to ship and replace the LCD screen. I don't have an original receipt, so the camera can't be sent back, even directly to the States. So I'll be buying a new camera.
Where did you get that cost estimate? What you haven't experienced yet is that Sealife is very helpful to customers with problems. Even without a receipt, even over there, I think it'd be worthwhile to send it in for an estimate. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Just so people are aware, and I learned the hard way, the "shockproof" test to 6 feet for the Reefmaster Mini isn't accurate, nor is the durability / ruggedness of the camera all it's hyped up to be.
I am curious where you saw the "shockproof test to 6 feet"...?

I searched the manual http://sealife-cameras.com/assets/pdf/reefmastermini_ecoshot/SL320_web.pdf and see 'A camera is a precision instrument. Avoid drops, impact or excessive force when handling the camera. This might cause damage to the camera." It is amazing how much abuse my cameras and cell phones have endured without damage, but I would expect that dropping any electronics comes with a risk. A foot and half is not far, and the camera is really built to generally withstand such when inside the housing; without the housing, it can be more vulnerable, with the LCD screen being the most sensitive - and then there's Murphy's.

But give them a chance. :crafty:

I hope others have a better experience with Sealife's products. I guess not seeing many people on the beach here with Sealife cameras isn't just because they're not sold in Doha... :(

Sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience. We do suggest trying to get in contact with Samir Digital to see what they can do.

Please be assured that our products are shockproof tested and waterproof tested as claimed from 25 years of experience in this business.

Don: It does say that is it shockproof to 6 feet.

Don: It does say that is it shockproof to 6 feet.
Ok thanks - couldn't find that. Then I would expect Sealife to replace it for free, and yes - I would report fully on SB either way on how they treated me. :D

I still don't find that on the manual; is that claim in a brochure?

If it was bought second hand, I'm not sure if it would be covered under the warranty. Since this was not a US purchase, the best I can do is put you in contact with the service technician, Peter, at Samir Digital, which is our distributor in Dubai. You would need to contact him and see what they are willing to do. Send a note to: Peter-technical@sdtdxb.com

If it was bought second hand, I'm not sure if it would be covered under the warranty. Since this was not a US purchase, the best I can do is put you in contact with the service technician, Peter, at Samir Digital, which is our distributor in Dubai. You would need to contact him and see what they are willing to do. Send a note to: Peter-technical@sdtdxb.com
Is that the same fellow who has been ignoring him all along?

If it's less than a year old on the original warranty and that could be established, would that not be ok?

I am glad that I am finally getting my insurance set up. All this Sealife, Vivicam, Canon replacement stuff is getting old. We end up with a lot of useless housings in the world, unless you spend more to go Ikelight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom