Sealife Reefmaster Mini-- White Display Screen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the title does say shockproof. Haha. I really don't want to look through the whole things now.

Well the title does say shockproof. Haha. I really don't want to look through the whole things now.
Thats' fine. "last paragraph" with no page gave me too little. I tried using Search. No problem, just curious what you found. Thanks

We do indeed claim (and stand by our claim) that the ReefMaster Mini is shockproof to 6 ft. We have tested this and even have run over the camera with a Nissan Xterra at last year's Outdoor Retailer show.
Thanks Denise! That'd make official enough if Paco hadn't showed me where to look...
Ok "last paragraph" on that site not in the maual. :doh: I was looking in the wrong place.
The rubber armored, shockproof body is depth tested to 130 ft/40m and drop tested to 6ft/2m. This is one truly ruggedized camera ready to withstand the most punishing environments.
And that claim is when it's inside the housing, not alone - makes sense.

Man, I ran all kinds of searches on the manual looking for that. :silly:

The Reefmaster Mini is a camera without a housing. It doesn't come out.

The Reefmaster Mini is a camera without a housing. It doesn't come out.
Thanks, now I feel even dumber here. Then I guess he should have no problem, if he can get his local rep to return his emails...

We do indeed claim (and stand by our claim) that the ReefMaster Mini is shockproof to 6 ft. We have tested this and even have run over the camera with a Nissan Xterra at last year's Outdoor Retailer show.

Heh... to stay politely objective, Sealife might consider adding some more realistic tests. Like dropping cameras 30 centimeters onto a boat deck. I can guarantee you mine broke.

Learn from my misfortune, please, so others don't go through the same hurt and frustration of paying a lot of money for a camera that only went only about 10 dives. Especially one which has the "shockproof" factor.

I did finally manage to get in contact with Peter, after a whole week's worth of phone calls. I would have to send the camera to Dubai. However, I could not get an answer on what else I would have to pay for. Peter is now on holiday for a month, as he told me via e-mail. I will soon be on holiday too. That puts us to September, which is Ramadan, which means nothing would be done until October. Given shipping times and such, I would be extremely lucky to have my camera back for my December holiday.

DHL, for instance, charges 450 riyal to ship a camera on a one-hour flight to Dubai. This is roughly USD$100. If I have to pay to replace the screen and then pay to ship the camera back to myself internationally, even with the shockproof guarantee, I'm still probably at least USD$300 out. In this case, I am better off paying Scuba Toys $250 (minus 10%) and the Aramex charge to get a new camera. At least there would be warranty, and a receipt.

I purchased the camera used from someone in the United States, not in the Gulf. The fact that I live in Doha now isn't coincidental in the least with my camera purchase.

As I know I can ship directly to the United States via Aramex for about 80 riyal (which is a lot cheaper than 450 riyal), and Dubai would cost 170 riyal with Aramex, and it is pretty near impossible to get someone on the blower in Dubai to even be connected to Peter (which doesn't surprise me in the least, as Doha is the same way), I would rather ship to the States.

As I have an Aramex account (as in a postal address) in the States, this would certainly work. For all the system knows, I live in the United States.

But the fact that I don't have an original receipt, nor the warranty, per the website instructions is what is hindering me in this case.

I did try contacting the States. Where I got my information, and discouragement about sending the camera directly like I theoretically could, and that no receipt and no warranty would essentially equal more money than a new camera due to the repair and parts and shipping costs, was from a bored-sounding assistant who clearly wanted to return to her crossword puzzle (sounds like Doha!).

So IF I were able to bypass Dubai altogether, and deal directly with the States, and IF the only thing I had to pay for was the postage to go to the States, and then the Aramex charge from New York back to Doha, and I didn't have to pay for my own screen since there *is* a shockproof guarantee and the camera didn't hold up to its billing, so I was looking at 125 riyal tops, then absolutely! I would do this and have nothing but praise for SeaLife. But if, instead, I would face the inevitable hassle of being asked where my receipt was, and where the warranty card was, and why I didn't go through Dubai, and then being charged for a new screen, then... yeah. I may as well go new.

I guess I am posting all this partially to let people know that the shockproof factor failed. As I'm a bit of klutz, this is what appealed to me the most in my purchasing decision. I'd still like to give SeaLife a chance, as it was a nice camera and had good opportunities for upgrades. However, that 'falling 30 cm onto a boat deck' and breaking (a realistic environment for this particular camera), when the camera has passed tests such as being run over by a Nissan Xterra, makes me leary.

Any possibilty the previous owner had dropped it from 7 feet and sold it knowing something may have been loose inside or its integrity compromised.

Back
Top Bottom