SEALs don’t like split fins either.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the pictures were taking directly from an article talking about Them being seals and from team 2. So yes it’s 100% for seals
I know what the article was about - what I do doubt are the people saying that SEAL's and most especially Team 2 would be forced to use equipment because of an overstock as suggested here (and the quote comment was in response to):
I suspect zip ties are simply a solution to the Navy having thousands of split fins in stores and refusing to order better fins until the stock of splits is used up.

I am 100% sure that SEALS are similar in nature to the SAS (being modelled on them) and I am as sure that the SAS do not use "prescribed" equipment just because it is cheap or there is a surplus of it. They use the best to allow them to operate at their best.

The Navy (or more correctly SOCOM as @DavidFL points out) do not spend millions training these guys, providing them with multiple firearms (including variations of individual weapons which are best suited for specific tasks such as long/short barrell variants), the best NVG etc just to cheap out on a set of fins that probably cost SOCOM a fraction of the retail price. If they are using them then there is a specific reason (as has been pointed out by a number of people) such as to make them more efficient (as @John C. Ratliff alluded to with the "pocket" fin test he did).

I have a very high degree of confidence that our top elite combat forces have the equipment they need and want to accomplish their mission objectives. Does the DOD/Government waste money in many areas? Yes they do. Would they modify my A-10 or issue a specific sidearm to accommodate my personal preferences? No, of course not. However, they would buy a Sig Sauer sidearm or specific fins for a Special Ops team member in a heartbeat instead of issuing the standard sidearm just because of a personal preference? Without question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom