Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, yes, I am confident that more knowledgeable members like yourself and the SAR have better understandings of the currents than I. Your post #176 is impressive, but beyond my comprehension, so I offered the simplistic view - knowing from experience that some don't even know about the north Atlantic gyre.

And after Cameron is found, rescued, treated for the effects of floating so long, and gets back online here - we are going to discuss PLBs & dive canisters. He posted about maybe getting one a few years back. I just packed mine up this morning to send off for it's 5½ year battery service. I'd be embarrassed to ever have to use my ACR 2881, but confident that the company will replace it for free if I ever need to. :)
Think of your picture as a picture of climate....very average, never right in detail for any specific place or time.
Think of mine as today's weather map....as accurate as the data and models can make it. The BIG difference is the Loop Current, which is the dominating current in the region right now.....and it is heading north....not northwest or east or northeast.

Think of your picture as a picture of climate....very average, never right in detail for any specific place or time.
Think of mine as today's weather map....as accurate as the data and models can make it. The BIG difference is the Loop Current, which is the dominating current in the region right now.....and it is heading north....not northwest or east of northeast.
As I said...

Is the Mexican government/navy doing anything at all in regards to an air search?

They need planes to be available, unfortunately.

I did some research, and bringing private US aircraft into Mexico can be -byzantine- if the pilot is not experienced and very up on exact procedures (think hours of red-tape, seizures, etc.) so getting US planes down to do a COZ/CUN based search is probably impractical.
The orange line is probably becoming doable from KW & SW Florida for long-legged piston twins or turbo props. Too far out for a piston single to do safely, especially at low altitude. The problem is not just getting to the search area and back safely, but being able to put in worthwhile time on station actually searching.
Actually it's very simple but you do have to buy a Mexican insurance policy from your US carrier. Costs around $200.00...done it multiple times...and that's only if you land on Mexican soil...oveeflies are a simple filed flight plan.

Is the Mexican government/navy doing anything at all in regards to an air search?

Yes. They have a single plane up which launches from Chetumal. They have 2 boats out as well. I just spoke with the Director of the SAR and he tells me he will provide me a full update within the hour. Once I have it, I will pass it along.

I will not go into detail, but I have a couple of pilots willing to forgo the "official" issues re: Mexican/Cuban airspace. Knowing whether or not USCG is aware of the search or not would help them immensely.

Actually it's very simple but you do have to buy a Mexican insurance policy from your US carrier. Costs around $200.00...done it multiple times...and that's only if you land on Mexican soil...oveeflies are a simple filed flight plan.

Yep, I wasn't referring to the overflight/airspace aspect, but rather landing. Up till now any practical civilian aircraft would need to sortie out of COZ or CUN to be useful, and I have read horror stories about undocumented procedures, running back and forth across the airport to chase officials, seizures for cleared landings to "not the correct airport from that departure point" (without NOTAM BTW) etc. @flyboy08, my guess is that you are a bit better cued-in than than average private pilot ...

Thank you all for the wonderful support and contributions. The helicopter in Cancun was not able to assist because it was a single engine. If anyone knows a company or individual that has a twin engine helicopter- We Need to HIRE them ASAP!! Also, private pilots are not answering their phone today - PLEASE help us get planes in the air!!

Thank you all for the wonderful support and contributions. The helicopter in Cancun was not able to assist because it was a single engine. If anyone knows a company or individual that has a twin engine helicopter- We Need to HIRE them ASAP!! Also, private pilots are not answering their phone today - PLEASE help us get planes in the air!!
Disappointing!

Just a reality check re: private pilots. US private pilots are essentially forbidden from accepting compensation or even cost reimbursement in almost any situation (there are some exceptions for some reimbursements in certain limited charitable situations.) I don't know Mexican rules but I would be surprised it they are more lenient. Add to the fact that at the sortie distances that are now required, it would be highly imprudent to be conducting them in a piston single-engine plane, especially at low-altitude. There, just aren't going to be that many properly equipped, piston twins or turboprops with pilot-owners willing to bear the cost and risk of extended low-altitude over-water operation. I know they are out there, but hard to find.

You may have luck if you can find a generous local corporate owner since their planes are often operating only a fraction of the time. They will typically also have it operated by a commercial pilot. Maybe call the FBOs (Fixed-Base Operators - they handle non-scheduled air-carrier operations fuel, parking, etc.) at CUN and COZ and ask, but they may be rightly tight-lipped about giving up customer info, especially given contemporary aviation safety protocol. I don't speak enough Spanish to even try, unfortunately.

Deleted email request. Thanks Don
If it is at all urgent to the situation, call him. He's been updating us, but I'm sure focused more on doing and coordinating than hanging here.
Call from USA (312) 757 - 6167
From Mexico dial 987 - 111 - 9138

On a hopeful note, there are light showers in Cozumel today, and Key West radar shows some showers to the SW. If Cameron encounters a shower, he can capture rainwater with his mask to help address dehydration issues.

Cancun Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom