Info Searching ScubaBoard without the SB Search Function

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
People may not be aware you can use Google to search ScubaBoard...and it is a better search engine than the one we do not currently have on SB.

In Google, type "https://Scubaboard.com site: (search terms)" or even just "Scubaboard: (search terms)"

Not quite, you want

Code:
search terms site:scubaboard.com
I think both work.

Great points, and we should have elastisearch back on shortly. Google can't search all of ScubaBoard like Instructor to Instructor, Thumbs Down, or the Pub.

Your solution is the same as putting the word "scubaboard" into the search. This mostly does what you want it to, because the top results for your search terms are most likely to be on scubaboard. But my solution actually restricts search results to the site.

There's a full(?) list of Google search operators here:
You are correct, but the order doesn't matter.
"site: scubaboard.com (search terms)" is the same as "(search terms) site:scubaboard.com"

An advantage of the Google search -- even though it misses Instructor-to-Instructor and Thumbs Down (who cares) and the Pub (really who cares) -- is you can use some Booleans in the search terms.

You are correct, but the order doesn't matter.
"site: scubaboard.com (search terms)" is the same as "(search terms) site:scubaboard.com"
That's true, but not what was posted in your OP:
In Google, type "https://Scubaboard.com site: (search terms)" or even just "Scubaboard: (search terms)"
Maybe there was a typo in the OP.

I do find both the Google "site:scubaboard.com <search terms here>" approach, and SB's built-in search function to have their uses. The search function, for example, can search within a subforum, or for posts by a particular user, which are not concepts in Google's search. And of course, as Pete says, not all of SB is indexed by Google, but it is all indexed within the internal search function. Google's search does seem to be faster, and the search operators it offers are quite powerful.

I do find both the Google "site:scubaboard.com <search terms here>" approach, and SB's built-in search function to have their uses. The search function, for example, can search within a subforum, or for posts by a particular user, which are not concepts in Google's search. And of course, as Pete says, not all of SB is indexed by Google, but it is all indexed within the internal search function. Google's search does seem to be faster, and the search operators it offers are quite powerful.
Google will also tend to break results out by thread at the top level, whereas the SB search produces a pile of posts. Each can be both good and bad.

Yes, I was going to bring up search by member or specific search by forum or even thread. I find these functions extremely useful

I do find both the Google "site:scubaboard.com <search terms here>" approach, and SB's built-in search function to have their uses. The search function, for example, can search within a subforum, or for posts by a particular user, which are not concepts in Google's search.
You can sort of do user searches by putting the username in quotes. It's not 100% reliable, but it's decent. For example:

site:scubaboard.com "Brett Hatch" bonaire

Back
Top Bottom