Seatec Horse collar Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam that was a very nice write-up of Harry Ruscigno, it is a shame he passed so soon. Do you have any insight on why he picked that ugly logo for his company? That was the only thing I disliked on the manta.

---------- Post added March 8th, 2014 at 08:24 PM ----------

To INOP the CO2 mechanism just remove the cartridge and put a port plug in it. Then remove the pull cord. Done.

Those inflators were always a bit clunky, I would just replace it with a new unit and be done with it.

N

Where can you buy a new CO2 detonator? I thought Seatec does not sell to the public.

That is not what I said. I said to replace the problem inflator that was the cause of this thread and to INOP the CO2 mechanism by removing the CO2 cartridge and plugging it with a port plug and if wanted to remove the pull cord.

And by the way, I own two of these BCs, both are locked and loaded with CO2 cartridges, one of them does not have a power inflator. I would recommend removing the pull cord ding dong thingie and just tie a nice fat knot in the pull cord. This will eliminate the possibility of it snagging. If it were to fire while submerged, it is pretty much a non event. Deal with it as you would a stuck inflator, dump the gas, carry on.

P8060086_zps10eab0f1.jpg

No, it is not a USD.

N

Last edited:
Sam that was a very nice write-up of Harry Ruscigno, it is a shame he passed so soon.
Agree, thanks Sam

Where can you buy a new CO2 detonator? I thought Seatec does not sell to the public.

My Manta used a Roberts firing mechanism-the same as found on inflatable life vest. As I loathe to throw anything away, you are in luck because I still have the one I removed from the BC. I also have the cap I used when I removed it and prior to removing the stem. The cap fits over the stem in place of the trigger mechanism. Those are free for the asking, but they are old and questionable in their reliability.

I also have a few NOS ScubaPro double barrel CO2 firing mechanisms for sale. They have the same Roberts triggers that can be removed from the common manifold and mounted onto the BC CO2 stem...OR.. if you're feeling froggy, find a way to mount it on your BC and fire one or two cartridges at once.

Here's a pix:

---------- Post added March 9th, 2014 at 04:34 PM ----------

....... I would recommend removing the pull cord ding dong thingie and just tie a nice fat knot in the pull cord. This will eliminate the possibility of it snagging....N
Excellent idea.

Note that there is a set of holes drilled through the trigger housing and the trigger lever. These holes are for break-away copper safety wire to help prevent inadvertent firing.

Last edited:
The power inflator is probably the one piece of equipment that is most neglected service wise,
even on newer equipment. One expects it to work till the day comes when it sticks, usually in
the fill position.

Might look like vintage diving, not to us, it's what we grew up diving, Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas circa 1983....

Attachments

• 1474620_10202895184047267_487592738_n.jpg
    1474620_10202895184047267_487592738_n.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 224
Might look like vintage diving, not to us, it's what we grew up diving, Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas circa 1983....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would suspect many appreciate the "vintage" pictures of apparently US Diver's PFV.
However bear in mind the subject is "Sea Tec horse collar inflator" a totally different company.

Never the less a few comments on your PFV and the company that produced Your PVD, US Divers. That particular company and that particular PFV had a multitude of problems of design/material defects. 1) the inflate mechanize was on one side the deflate was on the other side - a two handed operation for inflate/deflate to control buoyancy. 2) the hose inflator was considerably smaller than the diving community standards creating difficulty's in oral inflation 3) The waist strap attachment point was insufficient to support a fully equipped diver making a giant stride entry from a normal charter boat of that era. One or both would tear allowing the PFV to reverse forcing the divers head and face in to the water or totally separate and float away on the surface of the water.

US Divers recognized the problem and created a huge tripod over the company pool which they dropped a weighted object attached to a reinforced sample PFV until the failure rate was zero after repeated tests.

Other than those "minor problems" you then young Texans are fortunate to be posting at this time.

Nemrod
It was immediately recognized that the small inflator knob was inadequate for grasping with a gloved hand under normal conditions and especially under an emergency situation. Many in my tribe were involved in instructing (1968 was Pre PADI) free diving, spearing and some with pointed heads were consultants and test divers, so we all replaced the knobs with a large brass ring that always hung in one place was easy to grasp. If free diving we always placed our thumb through the ring in case of a SWBO or SAMBA the normal contractions of last gasping would force the activation of the inflator mechanism and an assent to the surface. (or so we thought)

Never the less all the manufactures never changed always insisted on the small knob. I suspect the price of a brass ring vs a plastic knob was excessive.

Just a little unrecorded history of times past...Now you know,

SDM

~

Nemrod
It was immediately recognized that the small inflator knob was inadequate for grasping with a gloved hand under normal conditions and especially under an emergency situation. Many in my tribe were involved in instructing (1968 was Pre PADI) free diving, spearing and some with pointed heads were consultants and test divers, so we all replaced the knobs with a large brass ring that always hung in one place was easy to grasp. If free diving we always placed our thumb through the ring in case of a SWBO or SAMBA the normal contractions of last gasping would force the activation of the inflator mechanism and an assent to the surface. (or so we thought)

Never the less all the manufactures never changed always insisted on the small knob. I suspect the price of a brass ring vs a plastic knob was excessive.

Just a little unrecorded history of times past...Now you know,

SDM

Local practices are always a historical interest. In the caves of North Florida (my cave diving era was 72 to 80 which coincides my partially escaping my momma's grasp and my getting married to she who rules over my life and will not let me buy another motorcycle :/ ) as far as I recall the practice has always been to remove the ding dong thingy and in my opinion one cannot be properly Hog/Minimalist if they are still ding dong equipped. Nothing to do with vintage per say.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom