Second Caymans fatality in a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet the tourism board would think different. I'll bet they like the money us old Americans spend there.:D
Two eightyish guys have died on the Brac in the space of a few months, both snorkelling I believe. Both from heart conditions. I guess it's not bad way to go if your time is up but makes for bad headlines. I was reading some comments on the Cayman News website and the locals weren't happy about old Americans coming to die on their islands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Being only 60 (been diving for 24 years) I'm in no hurry to kick off. But if I have to, and I will, I'd just as soon do it while having fun. My only concern would be the risk that I might place others in while doing so.

So, if you are above middle age or unhealthy, please consider the risk you place others in while you are wanting to go out with a bang. Get fit, be smart, know when to say "when."

Ditto!!! The other would be...................., well heck I can't say it, because this is a family oriented site. :wink: b.

Why do they care?

Richard.

Because most people never read past the headlines of "Another American dies on the Cayman Islands" and assume the island is somehow dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Better to die diving than in a nursing home.

For the older diver with with no contraindication a small dose dose of beta blocker: propranolol 5 mg a couple of hours before diving should have minimal effect on blood pressure and still allow a heart rate response to exercise, and may be protective in a high stress situation.

Also for those on BP meds, it's a good idea to check your BP before diving and makes sure it's within range. And of course avoid dehydration, common in diving, by sipping on water before and between dives.

Hatul, you really shouldn't be dispensing medical advice over the internet. Even the doctors don't do that.

Hatul, you really shouldn't be dispensing medical advice over the internet. Even the doctors don't do that.
I assume you're referring to my statement about low-dose beta blocker for the older diver? I would not call it specific medical advice to a specific person, that has to be obtained from your physician. My "advice" is meant as general medical knowledge that may be useful to a large set of divers. In any case propranolol is a prescription medication so you have to obtain after seeing your doctor.

Such medical knowledge may be useful for some people and should be open. Who knows it may save a life. When you go to see your doctor it's useful to have some knowledge behind you and not just remain a passive receptacle.

Better to die diving than in a nursing home.

+infinity

Let's see, die in a nursing home hooked up to IVs, with catherter, and adult diapers, or pass away enjoying one of the most amazing experiences in life? Is there really any question here?
I agree totally. I'd hate to ruin the trip for the rest of the boat tho. :sad: I can't think of any pre-dive statements to prevent that.

I just make sure my DAN membership and dive insurance is up to date and my daughter knows how to activate them in returning my remains.

Back
Top Bottom