Second Caymans fatality in a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would hope that nobody goes after my remains. I don't want anybody going after my remains and my daughter knows that.
I agree totally. I'd hate to ruin the trip for the rest of the boat tho. :sad: I can't think of any pre-dive statements to prevent that.

I just make sure my DAN membership and dive insurance is up to date and my daughter knows how to activate them in returning my remains.

I would hope that nobody goes after my remains. I don't want anybody going after my remains and my daughter knows that.
Well, I don't want anyone to take risks for mine, and my "If I die on a dive trip" letter in my daughter's care says so. If someone sees either of us floating by unconscious, they're not going to leave us for the scavengers.

There was a lady on FB recently trying to get her dad's local debts settled and his remains return from Bonaire. She seemed desperate, with no knowledge of DAN, so I fianlly phoned her at the number she posted - telling her about DAN and Dive Assure. I'd seen his page and thought surely he'd be a member. She thanked me and said she'd let me know, but didn't. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bonaire/458507-dive-incident-bonaire-june-4-2013-a.html

Better to die diving than in a nursing home.

For the older diver with with no contraindication a small dose dose of beta blocker: propranolol 5 mg a couple of hours before diving should have minimal effect on blood pressure and still allow a heart rate response to exercise, and may be protective in a high stress situation.

So would good training, judgement and being qualified for the dive. Good training removes most high stress situations open water divers are likely to face. Especially for older people, teaching them how to safely surface any time it's necessary without an anchor or up-line will make things much safer.

FWIW, I'd be careful about recommending drugs on the internet. Especially drugs that can cause loss of consciousness underwater.

flots

Two eightyish guys have died on the Brac in the space of a few months, both snorkelling I believe. Both from heart conditions. I guess it's not bad way to go if your time is up but makes for bad headlines. I was reading some comments on the Cayman News website and the locals weren't happy about old Americans coming to die on their islands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Are they also unhappy about old American coming to spend their $$$ on the island?

I must have missed something. Who said it was a medical issue that caused the two deaths? I don 't think the investigation of the accidents has even started.

The deaths could have been a result of any number of things other than a coronary/heart episode. Equipment has yet to be analyzed. The regulator may have been a piece of crap rental that fell apart and he panicked and ascended too fast, or they could have had contaminated gas, or panicked after running out of air, etc. Preliminary reports are just that, preliminary.

We don't know if they were medicated, in shape, out of shape, or suicidal. As the moderator should point out, just the facts.

I must have missed something. Who said it was a medical issue that caused the two deaths? I don 't think the investigation of the accidents has even started.

The deaths could have been a result of any number of things other than a coronary/heart episode. Equipment has yet to be analyzed. The regulator may have been a piece of crap rental that fell apart and he panicked and ascended too fast, or they could have had contaminated gas, or panicked after running out of air, etc. Preliminary reports are just that, preliminary.

We don't know if they were medicated, in shape, out of shape, or suicidal.
As the moderator should point out, just the facts.
If you read the stickies at the top of the forum you will see that the discussion is not restricted to "just the facts." Participants are cautioned, however, to make it explicit that they are speculating when they choose to do so.

Discussing a dive incident without knowing all the facts and speculating will lead to an uncertain conclusion with no merit.

You presume the goal of the discussion is to arrive at a conclusion regarding this incident, uncertain or otherwise. We have long ago determined that we rarely if ever get all the facts. Nevertheless, many of us find value in discussing hypotheticals surrounding a particular incident. The often tragic circumstances (of the cases discussed here) tend to focus one's attention on the magnitude of the risks involved more than a purely hypothetical discussion would.

For what it's worth, you have a great deal of company in your view, which has been expressed repeatedly over the years, and ultimately rejected by the staff of Scubaboard as the standard for posting here. You can, of course, just avoid this forum if you feel the discussion lacks merit.

Being only 60 (been diving for 24 years) I'm in no hurry to kick off. But if I have to, and I will, I'd just as soon do it while having fun. My only concern would be the risk that I might place others in while doing so.

So, if you are above middle age or unhealthy, please consider the risk you place others in while you are wanting to go out with a bang. Get fit, be smart, know when to say "when."[/
QUOTE]

One of the reasons I mostly solo dive. I heard a theory once by another diver of no med. qualifications or special education that if a person starts a physical activity early in life and continues that activity as that person ages that activity doesn't stress the body like it would someone of like age doing it for the 1st time. Conditioning I'd imagine. It would be interesting to know when these divers started diving. Albert Falco started diving young back in the late 1940's and dived well into his 80's for example. He died in a bed. I still dive the same dives I did when I was 20 at 59 the long surface swims, long duration dives and long duration/deep dives. I started diving at sixteen. Anyone know of any studies on this kind of thing?

My bad, I read the sticky that said "(6) No "emoting" here; no anger, sadness, elation or condolences. Just the facts, the analysis of the facts, and the recommendations that flow from the analysis of the facts. " I think it says, just the facts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom