Second pool session, thinking of quitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some excellent suggestions in this thread and you can start working on some of them the very next time you get in the bathtub!

You'll get there, but expect it to take some practice. I imagine a couple hours in the next week or so would work wonders in improving your comfort. This really is one of those skills that is a lot tougher than it seems at first, but once you get it you'll wonder what the big deal was!

-Brandon.

I agree with the other posts... Don't quit. I work at a lds that teaches tons of classes and in basically every class we have someone that has trouble. My husband was one of them. But, if you want it and practice, you'll get there. He basically started with a sink full of water and his face in it, moved to the tub and his whole head, then the shallow end of a pool without a mask, and by the time it came around for our cert (a week later) he could do it. Don't be embarrassed if it takes you some time. Remember that the feeling of water in your nose is totally foreign to you. Good luck!!!

I was just practicing this skill in the pool a couple weeks ago. For my nephews B-day we got in our gear for a private discover scuba/bubble maker party of sorts. I was a little bored so I decided to take my mask off about 5 times. I wear contacts so I wanted to practice more for that reason, had no difficulty breathing from the reg without breathing through the nose. I don't think you're going to get the same feeling with a snorkel than you would with a reg. Just keep practicing, trust yourself to try it without holding your nose instantly and you'll feel better!

nebrunner, my dad and i started a class together. like you, he was having problems with removing his mask and generally feeling comfortable. he quit after the first pool session while i continued. now that i finished, he is generally bitter about his choice to quit, because he sees the fun i have. all i can say is don't quit. if possible, work on it, and roll your tuition to a later class. hopefully you can.

Althought you should try to overcome the problem without pinching your nose there is no requirement that states you can't pinch off your nose while removing your mask. I myself was fine for the mask clearing exercise but couldn't breath off the regulator for more than 2 breaths without the pinch. During my pool work my instructor had us lead around by our buddy with the mask off and I completed this exercise by pinching. While trying to overcome this I learned that you can have a coughing fit (or puke) while breathing at depth just remember to keep the reg in your mouth and cough right through it.

Sounds to me like you are making your mind up too quit prematurely. It is only your Second pool Session. you have a lot of time to work out the issues. everyone that has commented on this thread think you should keep going and that means a lot.

The only ones that don't get beyond this obstacle are the ones who quit and they aren't on this board to advise you to quit as well. The fact you posted on this board means you want it enough to seek answers. There are enough tips on this thread already to keep you going. My tip is to hum with your mouth clsoed as soon as your nose is exposed to water or your mask is off. It ensures a small trail of bubbles keeps the water from entering your nose. Good Luck to you.

Okay, I have a question. Were you able to do a partial and a full mask clear? Those come before the mask removal. If yes to either, you are not as bad off as you think. Everything said above is right on the money. Most of this has to do with focus.
I too am/was a nose breather.... Panic, cough, sputter, stand up. In that order. But a really good friend who was an istructor sorted me out during my OW class. He made me do the laps with goggles, and snorkle.... Holding your face downward also helps. I know, you feel the water tickling at the bottom of your nose and you just automatically suck in. You can beat this if you work at it.
He taught me to fill the mask first. And then focus on breathing through your mouth. Take your time and go slow. Watch your mouth and regulator and think, "In.... and out....." as you breath only through your mouth. Pointedly ignore the tickle of water at your nose.
Go slowly.
After you breathe for a couple of breaths with a full mask, take the mask off on the exhale. And then watch your mouth and think, "In .... Out... " though the reg. Don't rush to put the mask back on.
Now, Slowly place the mask back against your face on the exhale. Breathe again.... Then slowly replace the strap. Breathe again.... THEN, clear it on the next exhale. If you don't clear it all the way the first time, it's OK. Breathe in between clearing while watching your mouth. Take your time. It will be uncomfortable, but if you focus on your mouth, and think slowly..... You can solve this.

I was where you are, but in the end, I beat it. I now demonstrate this to my classes every day...... And I am probably a better instructor for understanding this anxiety. You can beat this. DO NOT give up. I promise it will all be worth it.

Althought you should try to overcome the problem without pinching your nose there is no requirement that states you can't pinch off your nose while removing your mask. I myself was fine for the mask clearing exercise but couldn't breath off the regulator for more than 2 breaths without the pinch. During my pool work my instructor had us lead around by our buddy with the mask off and I completed this exercise by pinching. While trying to overcome this I learned that you can have a coughing fit (or puke) while breathing at depth just remember to keep the reg in your mouth and cough right through it.

I would probably advise against pinching to do this exercise as it might form a habit where you can only do the exercise when pinching your nose. When you get your mask kicked off under water, it is unexpected so you usually don't get to prepare yourself for pinching your nose.

Anyway, I had the exact same problem and very nearly quit myself. I figured out that I breathe through my nose and mouth at the same time and just had to train myself to avoid doing this, perhaps this is your issue? I put my mask on in the shower filled with water, and I also snorkeled in my bathroom sink (the bath isn't big enough for snorkeling) without my mask on for 5-10minutes every day for a week. My partner found it hilarious but it did cure my habit of breathing in my nose at the same time as my mouth. If you try this, do it in cold water, as it is harder, and will help you learn better.

Another thing I heard is that tilt your chin forward when you have to clear your mask, rather than up like a lot of people teach, as if you look up you will have the water run down your nose and start to choke you. Like of make an elephant blowing its truck type gesture - ie. look down, remove your mask, replace your mask, inhale through the regulator, break the seal on your mask and as you start the exhale to clear your mask, move your head to look up to help get the water out.

Anyway, I was sick with nerves on the final day of my OW having to do the exercise at 18m as I had struggled the whole way through but with all my practice I ended up finding it very simple, and have no issues these days with clearing my mask (other than an icecream headache from the shock of cold water!), which is lucky as it has been kicked off or dislodged a few times already, either by other divers or currents. I have accidentally breathed in a few times through my nose doing them, but it is no biggy and you can just cough the water out through your regulator.

Good luck! Lots of people have this problem at the start so I am sure you can overcome it.

Wow what can I say? You guys are amazing.

It is not that I just want to quit and give up, I don't. I will work with the great advice you gave and try to do these exercises at home.

Ultimately, I want to be safe, both for me and my wife. I would never do something that put her in danger and if this would do that, through my own fear or inability, I would have to give up on scuba.

Never quit, looking back 20 years ago, I was 'scared _ _ _ _'. And was rushed through my course, I was quite fearfull my first few years, it's like anything in life, the more you do it the easier it gets. I'm so addicted now, I will jump in my swimming pool next week just to breath compressed air!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom