Seeking Dive Buddy in O.C. or S.D (3-8 Jul)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarryH97

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi there So Cal Divers,

I'm planning on seeing my sister in O.C next week from 3-8 Jul and would like to know if anyone would be interested in showing a PNW diver the So Cal dive seen. My schedule is pretty open. I'd prefer diving w/GUE trained divers, but beggers can't be choosers.

Any divers out with weekdays available?

Sincerely,
Harry

Hi Harry, I'm not a GUE diver, but I have aquired their 'kick' style. LOL Check out http://www.southcoastdivers.com We make quite a few dives during the week and on the weekends.

Do you have beach diving experience??? May be a stupid question, but curious. You could also take a Discover Local Diving from one of the LDS's too.

Diver_Jan:
Hi Harry, I'm not a GUE diver, but I have aquired their 'kick' style. LOL Check out http://www.southcoastdivers.com We make quite a few dives during the week and on the weekends.

Do you have beach diving experience??? May be a stupid question, but curious. You could also take a Discover Local Diving from one of the LDS's too.

Hello there Diver Jan,
I'm talking to my sister right now, and the access point is literally down the street from where she lives. Although we routinely dive beaches, low vis and currents up here, the waves in CA are a bit more intense. This makes it a bit more challenging for us spoiled folks with putting fins on/off. I'd ideally like to borrow a set doubles and have some fun in the rec range with someone experienced with the area and surroundings. Do you know if I can rent doubles down there? My understanding is that DIR is perhaps still controversial down there, so I don't intend to stir anything. Would prefer that as we have a common like minded language/procedures in our approach to diving before, during and after. I also don't have any problems with responsible divers that haven't been trained in this fashion and is willing to dive with me. Heck, I use to be a PADI DM years ago.

I can go into more details on my diving history as necessary for anyone that wants to buddy up, but really just want to explore and have fun while doing it safely and stressfree while I'm down there.

Sincerely,
Harry

I saw that you followed Jan's advice and went to the SouthCoastDivers.com page. Thanks Jan for sending him OUR way.

I only have one question, "Doubles from the beach?" Wow, what for? You can get by just fine in Laguna with a single AL 80, maybe I don't get it, but that is a lot of weight to be carrying around and the idea of getting nailed in the surf zone has a new meaning to it with doubles. Especially the last few days, surf has been UP and the beaches have been closed to diving, although I don't know about today.

I will personally welcome you to dive with us, since I run SCD. But I would think twice about the doubles, only because that is a lot of weight to try to stand up with after getting knocked down. I have personally dove with over 200 different people with our group, the group has over 450 people in it right now. I have only seen doubles once in the last 5 years of divng here, so it is not common practice. U should be able to easily get an hour on a single AL 80 off the beach, we have people who have had 2 hours.

Thanks...

RichP:
I saw that you followed Jan's advice and went to the SouthCoastDivers.com page. Thanks Jan for sending him OUR way.

I only have one question, "Doubles from the beach?" Wow, what for? You can get by just fine in Laguna with a single AL 80, maybe I don't get it, but that is a lot of weight to be carrying around and the idea of getting nailed in the surf zone has a new meaning to it with doubles. Especially the last few days, surf has been UP and the beaches have been closed to diving, although I don't know about today.

I will personally welcome you to dive with us, since I run SCD. But I would think twice about the doubles, only because that is a lot of weight to try to stand up with after getting knocked down. I have personally dove with over 200 different people with our group, the group has over 450 people in it right now. I have only seen doubles once in the last 5 years of divng here, so it is not common practice. U should be able to easily get an hour on a single AL 80 off the beach, we have people who have had 2 hours.

Thanks...

Rich,
Thanks for your input. After doing some more research, looks like there's a significant amount of effort just to get to the descent point from the gear-up location down where you guys dive. I may have to bring my singles rig, which I typically don't dive, just from a safety standpoint. I also typically don't dive AL80 due to its poor bouyancy characteristics and limited gas volume. I'd be interested in access to steel tanks with 119's or 130's preferred. For non deco recreational dives, I typically carry 20-40 cf of reserve gas for emergency and cap my exposure to NDL or MDL depending on your vernacular. Factor those two and avg depth consumption and it's roughly like 110-130 cf of gas that I'd like to go in the water with.

Do you know if these tanks with DIN are easily accessible down there as well as EAN32?

HarryH97:
Rich,
Thanks for your input. After doing some more research, looks like there's a significant amount of effort just to get to the descent point from the gear-up location down where you guys dive. I may have to bring my singles rig, which I typically don't dive, just from a safety standpoint. I also typically don't dive AL80 due to its poor bouyancy characteristics and limited gas volume. I'd be interested in access to steel tanks with 119's or 130's preferred. For non deco recreational dives, I typically carry 20-40 cf of reserve gas for emergency and cap my exposure to NDL or MDL depending on your vernacular. Factor those two and avg depth consumption and it's roughly like 110-130 cf of gas that I'd like to go in the water with.

Do you know if these tanks with DIN are easily accessible down there as well as EAN32?

As picky as you sound, I was surprised that you didn't mention H-valve or 300 BAR DIN connection. E8-119 and 130's are selling so fast I don't think any shop has them for rental. Faber LP 95 is probably the best you can access. There is a DIR friendly shop in north OC where a former Tech 2 instructor used to teach at (even JJ, AG, etc.. know of the shop). There are many shops around that fills EAN32.

IceDiverInCA:
As picky as you sound, I was surprised that you didn't mention H-valve or 300 BAR DIN connection. E8-119 and 130's are selling so fast I don't think any shop has them for rental. Faber LP 95 is probably the best you can access. There is a DIR friendly shop in north OC where a former Tech 2 instructor used to teach at (even JJ, AG, etc.. know of the shop). There are many shops around that fills EAN32.

Thanks ICE Diver for the feedback. Looks like I'll need to start making phone calls or find someone who has an extra PST 119 or 130 single tank. I don't mind Fabers if that's all that's available either. :D As for H-valve and 300 bar, I'm trying to make this as painless for me as possible without compromising fundamental safety standards. BG is the only thing I'm not bringing. So if this is all coming across as being too picky, well my use of certain 3 letter acronyms probably have turned people off already.

On a serious note, for anyone that has been exposed to the training, I certainly don't mind working in-water and out-of-water skills including math; provided we do that before or after the fun exploring portion of the dive.

Sincerely,
Harry

HarryH97:
Thanks ICE Diver for the feedback. Looks like I'll need to start making phone calls or find someone who has an extra PST 119 or 130 single tank. I don't mind Fabers if that's all that's available either. :D As for H-valve and 300 bar, I'm trying to make this as painless for me as possible without compromising fundamental safety standards. BG is the only thing I'm not bringing. So if this is all coming across as being too picky, well my use of certain 3 letter acronyms probably have turned people off already.

On a serious note, for anyone that has been exposed to the training, I certainly don't mind working in-water and out-of-water skills including math; provided we do that before or after the fun exploring portion of the dive.

Sincerely,
Harry
Hi Harry,

Try speaking with Jim Hoffmann, the owner of Scuba Toys in Cypress, CA. He may have what you're looking for or know who does. This may be the shop that IceDiverInCA was referring to. Lot's of DIR guys out of that shop.

http://www.scuba-toys.com

Normally, I'd love to come out and play mid-week, but I just started a new job and will be chained to that during the mid-week for a while.

A buddy of mine and I are thinking of diving Sunday the 3rd, but it will most likely be a north facing beach somewhere between Palos Verdes and Malibu. The south facing beaches have been getting quite a pounding, so this may be a better option. We'll see what reports are saying this week. Can you dive on the 3rd or are you flying in that day?

We're not DIR yet, but plan to be in the future. Robert Phillips is usually a good one to contact in the OC area, but he may be visiting in the PNW while you're here. I think he's diving with Uncle Pug, OE2X and some of the others in that area.

Christian

To my knowledge, I am unaware of any so cal dive shops that rent the steel tanks. Most shops rent the aluminum 80's and a good number of people dive with them. If you go through sport chalet and rent them, they will give you two at a time. You might have to deal with walking back to the car to get the other tank, and might want to get some additional weight if you're used to steel.
My advice, suck it up and rent some aluminum 80's for 10$ at sport chalet. and add another 6-8lbs to adjust for buoyancy. Worry more about the big surf in laguna!

John

Harry,

I just got off the phone with Jim Hoffmann at Scuba Toys in Cypress.

He can rent you steel 95s and if you call him and let him know, he can dig up some doubles for you.

LOL, he was hesitant to tell me that until I told him that you were a visiting DIR diver from the PNW. Then he was very willing to help.

Christian

Back
Top Bottom