Seeking Dive Buddy in O.C. or S.D (3-8 Jul)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter:
Harry,

I just got off the phone with Jim Hoffman at Scuba Toys in Cypress.

He can rent you steel 95s and if you call him and let him know, he can dig up some doubles for you.

LOL, he was hesitant to tell me that until I told him that you were a visiting DIR diver from the PNW. Then he was very willing to help.

Christian

Yes, Jim Hoffmann (2 n's) is who I was referring to. Johnny Walker used to teach Tech 2 there.

headhunter:
Hi Harry,

Try speaking with Jim Hoffmann, the owner of Scuba Toys in Cypress, CA. He may have what you're looking for or know who does. This may be the shop that IceDiverInCA was referring to. Lot's of DIR guys out of that shop.

http://www.scuba-toys.com

Normally, I'd love to come out and play mid-week, but I just started a new job and will be chained to that during the mid-week for a while.

A buddy of mine and I are thinking of diving Sunday the 3rd, but it will most likely be a north facing beach somewhere between Palos Verdes and Malibu. The south facing beaches have been getting quite a pounding, so this may be a better option. We'll see what reports are saying this week. Can you dive on the 3rd or are you flying in that day?

We're not DIR yet, but plan to be in the future. Robert Phillips is usually a good one to contact in the OC area, but he may be visiting in the PNW while you're here. I think he's diving with Uncle Pug, OE2X and some of the others in that area.

Christian

Christian,
Thanks for the leg work on my behalf. I am sincerely grateful and will get in touch with Jim and find out more of the local DIR dive scene. I fly in on Sat and have tentatively made arrangements to dive on Sun with a fellow named Jason out of South Coast Divers. We haven't firmed up times and location yet, but I know I'll be available to hit the water. I got in touch with Robb and looks like we're swapping places. He's diving with folks I know up here.

As for skills, I'd be more than happy to coach/mentor. I may even be tempted to bring my camera and give you the instant "roll the video tape" feedback that you'll get in the class.

Sincerely,
Harry

HarryH97:
Christian,
Thanks for the leg work on my behalf. I am sincerely grateful and will get in touch with Jim and find out more of the local DIR dive scene. I fly in on Sat and have tentatively made arrangements to dive on Sun with a fellow named Jason out of South Coast Divers. We haven't firmed up times and location yet, but I know I'll be available to hit the water. I got in touch with Robb and looks like we're swapping places. He's diving with folks I know up here.

As for skills, I'd be more than happy to coach/mentor. I may even be tempted to bring my camera and give you the instant "roll the video tape" feedback that you'll get in the class.

Sincerely,
Harry
Cool! Thanks for the offer of video taping. That would be great! Currently, I'm not sure you'll have enough vis in Orange County to do that. :eyebrow:

I'm only guessing, but I get the feeling that you'll have to go further north this weekend to get some decent diving. As I said before, lets see what the reports look like.

You're welcome to join us on Sunday if things don't pan out in OC. Palos Verdes might be a good bet. I hear through the grape vine that the vis has held up pretty well around there during our recent pummeling.

Let's see what the next couple of days brings us.

Christian

Again,
Let me just say, come dive with us, depending on the conditions of course. But all are welcome, if you feel you must use doubles for a beach dive, then so be it. Dive with what you are comfortable with. Our group dives more in the Laguna area than any other group and we have more beach diving experience as a result of it. Everyone is welcome, we spend more time with new divers helping them get their feet 'wet' and we also have people coming to dive with us from across the country. I only ask that you are comfortable with your diving and if you have any questions, please bring them and be there about 15 minutes early to the meeting place. I don't care if you are a DIR diver or not, that is not a factor in what WE do, we've had several DIR divers with us before, a non issue. Plus we go have lunch afterwards to prove there is more to diving than just diving.

With the conditions being as they are right now, I have to agree with the post above, South facing beaches are taking a pounding right now and ALL of Laguna faces South. We probably have some of the most consistent conditions for beach diving year round than anywhere, except on the South swells from storms in the South. So the idea of diving up in the Palos Verdes area might be a good choice. Laguna has been closed to diving for the last few days.

Diving!!!

RichP:
Again,
Let me just say, come dive with us, depending on the conditions of course. But all are welcome, if you feel you must use doubles for a beach dive, then so be it. Dive with what you are comfortable with. Our group dives more in the Laguna area than any other group and we have more beach diving experience as a result of it. Everyone is welcome, we spend more time with new divers helping them get their feet 'wet' and we also have people coming to dive with us from across the country. I only ask that you are comfortable with your diving and if you have any questions, please bring them and be there about 15 minutes early to the meeting place. I don't care if you are a DIR diver or not, that is not a factor in what WE do, we've had several DIR divers with us before, a non issue. Plus we go have lunch afterwards to prove there is more to diving than just diving.

With the conditions being as they are right now, I have to agree with the post above, South facing beaches are taking a pounding right now and ALL of Laguna faces South. We probably have some of the most consistent conditions for beach diving year round than anywhere, except on the South swells from storms in the South. So the idea of diving up in the Palos Verdes area might be a good choice. Laguna has been closed to diving for the last few days.

Diving!!!

Rich,
OK, OK. I'm diving with one of your divers on Sunday, Jason. We are still figuring out the rest of week. I'm sure we'll get a chance in meet, perhaps in calmer waters. I'm bringing both my rigs to give me flexibility through the week throughout the SoCal area-provided I can squeeze all of it under 50 lbs. I think I've solved the tank problem and have some options available to me. I have no intentions of getting into waters requiring deliberate rescue planning. This is suppose to be stressfree, hence my selectivity on experienced personnel. Of course, I'm always up for learning, particularly Laguna surf entry/exit procedures. I may have 12 years of experience around the world, but I've never been in Laguna waves! At this point, the Laguna access points and water conditions are developing a myth and life of its own. :11:
Sincerely,
Harry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom