Seeking the DIR Answer: Must DIR Shops be Committed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
well then, I think the whole thing is a big marketing ploy.

because ...how can you require the divers to be diving with only DIR divers in SP jetfins, etc, etc "compliance" forever a central issue "ha ha..WE leave strokes at the dock" and then dive a boatload of strokes for profit the next day?

and yet the shop can make money diving new divers anywhere PADI permits?

Doesn't there seem to be a "Fundamental flaw" here? The divers must commit to an oath, the DIR operators don't?

This, for me, is the true litmus test.

Don't ever rule number one me again, please.

Sorry,... I am slow on the uptake. But I eventually figure things out.
I'm hearing Smooth Operator by Sade in the background.

Halcyon is not an agency and, in fact, makes some gear that is not DIR. They are just another equipment manufacturer like any other. What you are proposing is like saying for a dive shop to carry ScubaPro, they aren't allowed to carry Mares.

However, I think you will find that most shops that are owned by GUE instructors tend to carry mostly DIRish gear. GUE instructors do actually have pretty stringent rules about how they can dive and, as I understand it, solo diving, diving non-standard gases, etc is not allowed, even if it is not in the context of a GUE class.

catherine96821:
well then, I think the whole thing is a big marketing ploy.

because ...how can you require the divers to be diving with only DIR divers in SP jetfins, etc, etc "compliance" forever a central issue "ha ha..WE leave strokes at the dock" and then dive a boatload of strokes for profit the next day?

and yet the shop can make money diving new divers anywhere PADI permits?

Doesn't there seem to be a "Fundamental flaw" here? The divers must commit to an oath, the DIR operators don't?

This, for me, is the true litmus test.

Don't ever rule number one me again, please.

Sorry,... I am slow on the uptake. But I eventually figure things out.
I'm hearing Smooth Operator by Sade in the background.

Odd, I don't recall these "rules" being covered in my Fundies course.

:popcorn:

i do see a lot of insecurity.... "oh, they're DIR ... they must be laughing at me behind my back ..."

trust me, i don't care that much about what you do or don't do in your diving

question is, why are you so worried about what i think?

nadwidny:
Or being made to take an "oath".

We all had to line up, put our hands over our hearts and forsake snorkels and splitfins from here onward and all for all time.

Your training must have been insufficient :D

I'll find out if they've put an oath in the new Fundies curriculum this coming weekend. :wink: I'm sure it involves satanic sacrifices of virgins, dancing around a fire in a loincloth, speaking in tongues...that sort of thing.

H2Andy:
i do see a lot of insecurity.... "oh, they're DIR ... they must be laughing at me behind my back ..."
Even if I weren't going to the DIR route I'd still laugh at people. :wink:

catherine96821:
With so much discussion regarding "compliance" I find myself wondering what level of compliance the Halcyon retailers and DIR operators (dive shops that bring in the prestigious well known Instructors) and sell/market Fundies, are asked to have.

In other words, can I sell Halcyon, market and sell Fundies, etc and still dive non-DIR tourist divers on clearly non-DIR compliant profiles and practices?
Only if you want to stay in business.

In most parts of the world, the DIR community simply isn't going to be large enough to support a dive shop without a viable recreational base of divers who are not, and may not be interested in ever becoming, DIR.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A dive shop can offer GUE classes, and even believe that it would be desirable if everybody dove that way, and still teach OW classes (which are, of necessity, with some other agency) and run dive boats (which could not in any practical way be filled every day with DIR divers). I don't see a problem with it at all.

I don't think you'll find GUE instructors guiding divers on dives that are clearly outside the acceptable parameters for DIR diving, though.

jeckyll:
We all had to line up, put our hands over our hearts and forsake snorkels and splitfins from here onward and all for all time.

Your training must have been insufficient :D

Must've been. I guess I'll have to Rule 1 myself.

okay..no oath, no rules ....high standards?..can we agree on that? if not, then it is all one big wet noodle.

I am mistaken?

It strikes me as very odd to "espouse" certain standards on M W and dive all the "other people" anyway they choose if they pay, on T TH.

Honestly, I am the only one?

So, I hear the financial realities of it, but if you can't maintain the standards upstream of me, why should I be held to them downstream where the numbers are even fewer? Just not logical ethically, to me.

As far as thinking what people think, I've never been told I have that problem. This is more a matter of respecting certain people enough to NEED it to square better.

I'll get over the shock, at least I won't be asking a lot of dumb questions about the philisophical part anymore.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom