Seiko SKX007: Watch runs too fast...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have to reset my SKX007 at least once per week, as it picks up a few minutes in that amount of time. I've had the watch for less than a year (purchased new).

Looking around online, I've seen multiple threads on watch forums, reddit, etc. discussing this issue. The general concensus is to let the watch wind down (not wear it for a few days) and then to waive it back and forth to get it going again. I've done that a couple times and not noticed a difference. Each time, it speeds up and gained around five minutes in one week.

Is there anything else that I should try before I box it up and send it off to Seiko for repair? Thank you.

Edit: 2010 thread below with the same issue. I also tried changing the orientation of the face (up or down) when I remove it for the night.

Seiko Dive Watch Accuracy

That's an expensive watch for it not to be keeping reliable time. If it were me, I'd send it in right away.

has it been adjusted previously or is this just the out of box performance? does it have the nh35 movement? without adjustment, you are stuck with luck of the draw for the nh35 which ranges from +40/-20. yours does seem on the high side, but there isn't a guarantee it will come back from seiko with COSC level accuracy.

has it been adjusted previously or is this just the out of box performance? does it have the nh35 movement? without adjustment, you are stuck with luck of the draw for the nh35 which ranges from +40/-20. yours does seem on the high side, but there isn't a guarantee it will come back from seiko with COSC level accuracy.

It has not been adjusted. The accuracy was acceptable for the first few months. I would re-set the time once every few weeks and it would only be off 1-2 minutes. It's only been the past 2-3 months that it's been multiple minutes fast (consistently) each week.

Mine is a SKX007K2 (not the 'J'/Japan model). The engine/movement is the Seiko Caliber 7S26.

That's an expensive watch for it not to be keeping reliable time. If it were me, I'd send it in right away.

I emailed Seiko. I need to make sure that this will be covered by warranty before I mail it off...as that's going to end up being ~$120 (movement adjustment + shipping cost). I'm not spending $120 to repair a $180 watch.

I have a version of the same watch with a different face (SKX173) which runs consistently slow. I think it just needs an adjustment and usually no need to send it in for that, a competent watch repair shop can do it. You then need to ensure it is water tight before diving. Personally I've not bothered with an adjustment and just live with it as I don't want the hassle. If I buy another dive watch it will be solar powered but it is nice to have a classic.

Call around your local watch repair shops. The 7s26 is a simple movement and should not cost that much for adjustment and a pressure pot test.

forgot to ask, do you wear the watch daily and have it near any large electromagnetic sources? Have you tried demagnetizing already?

I have a version of the same watch with a different face (SKX173) which runs consistently slow. I think it just needs an adjustment and usually no need to send it in for that, a competent watch repair shop can do it. You then need to ensure it is water tight before diving. Personally I've not bothered with an adjustment and just live with it as I don't want the hassle. If I buy another dive watch it will be solar powered but it is nice to have a classic.

I like the looks of the SKX173. It's too bad that one doesn't seem to be available at most shops (I prefered the face on the SKX173).

I've got a Citizen dive watch that doesn't get worn very often. The Citizen is off maybe one minute over the course of 1+ month. The Seiko is a nicer looking watch (in my opinion).

Call around your local watch repair shops. The 7s26 is a simple movement and should not cost that much for adjustment and a pressure pot test.

forgot to ask, do you wear the watch daily and have it near any large electromagnetic sources? Have you tried demagnetizing already?

There's a jewelry shop in town that's listed as a Seiko dealer, so I'll have to give them a call.

I wear it daily. I don't think it spends time near any large electromagnetic sources. I have not tried demagnetizing it. I'll have to give that a shot (check to see if it's magnetized first) before trying to get it serviced. Thank you.

dealer and authorized repair center are entirely different. i would avoid jewelry shops unless they have an onsite watchmaker and are certified to repair automatic watches. most just send it out to an actual watchmaker and charge you more money for the privilege of being the middleman. like dive shops and hydro testing. you want an independent watchmaker at a family run store. try the watchuseek forums for a local recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom