servicing Apeks DST 1st & TX50 2nds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster59

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple questions about these regs. I got an old TX50, took it apart, cleaned it up, back together, works great. So now I want to do this for real on the regs I use.

Q1- Where is the best place to buy service kits in the USA, August 2018?

Q2- Man, the end cap is on there tight on the DST 1st stage. I have 1 40mm pin spanner that fits perfectly, do I need 2?

Q3- There is a tool called a "Bench vise adapter", Apeks PN 100398, or "1st stage vise handle", screws into a HP port like a handle to clamp into a vise. Is this kind of tool brass, can I use a steel bolt instead?

Thanks!

Q1-can't buy them through any official channels. Can get unofficial kits from Northeast Scuba Supply or official ones on ebay

Q2-having a pair certainly helps to get the environmental seal cap off

Q3-those are generic. Available from just about any of the major suppliers, Piranha, Dive Gear Express, Northeast Scuba, etc. Brass is better

Q1. Difficult to find genuine Apeks service kits in US unless under the table. Northeast Scuba Supply has generic kits that work:
Apeks Regulator Service Kits
Q2. Probably if the environmental cap is on tight. Otherwise remove that first followed by the diaphragm retainer.
Q3. Usually brass or aluminum but some are steel:
Regulator Holders
If you use a bolt make sure it is the exact thread or you will damage the stage. Some use a small wood box that holds the reg. Do a search here as I think I have seen it on this board. It allows you to keep the reg from turning while removing the caps without damage.

Looks like someone beat me too it while I was typing.

Thanks for all the info. I'll start making a wooden box.

You really need two spanners to loosen/tighten up the end cap. After tighten up the end cap please check the IP because you might inadvertently disturbed the setting ie higher.
My TX-50 is nearly 20yrs old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom