Servicing costs for old 1st/2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JarrodS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wife and I are getting back into scuba after a 15 year hiatus.

I took my Oceanic Delta 1st/2nd stage (the original, circa 1990) to the Oceanic dealer and told him to bring it back to working condition. Went back to pick it up today. $191.xx out the door! :shocked2: It breaks down like this:

$35 1st stage labor
$35 2nd stage labor
$30 1st stage rebuild kit
$25 2nd stage rebuild kit
$15 2nd stage diaphragm (definitely needed this, it was torn)
$15 service SPG
$25 "excess corrosion upcharge" (the 2nd stage adjustment mechanism was seized)
$16.xx tax

Took my wife's US Divers Conshelf 21 1st/2nd/Octo (also circa 1990) to a different place and gave the same instructions. Second place serviced it but told me he ended up treating it like an annual service. He said the seals were all good and it didn't need parts, except that he did replace both mouth pieces. He told me that he disassembled both 2nd stages and the first stage, cleaned everything, put it back together and adjusted it (this is an adjustible 1st stage). Total charge was $75 out the door, including the two mouthpieces. Note that this was for *two* second stages plus the first stage and the Oceanic setup was just one 2nd stage, and no new mouthpiece.

Now, except for the seized adjuster and torn diaphragm on the Oceanic, both of these units were very similar age and condition, having been dove, cared for and stored more or less exactly the same ways. Given that, what's your opinion of how I got treated at each place?

My gut reaction is that on the one hand, the guy who serviced the Oceanic 1st and 2nd stage was very thorough and I got a complete rebuild. On the other hand, it was only one first/second stage and I could have almost replaced it for that!! Seems like crazy money. I'm kind of irritated about it, but the guy did what I asked him to do so it's a little hard to place blame anywhere but on myself for not making this guy give me a better idea up front of what kind of costs I could run into.

The US Divers service seems very fair, but am I being biased just because it cost so much less? These regs have sat for 15 years in a closet. The guy who serviced them is young (<30) but he walked me through everything he did and explained exactly why he didn't replace the parts. Basically he inspected all the O-rings, hoses, etc. and said they were in good shape. It seems like sound logic to a non-expert, but that stuff is OLD. Should I have insisted on a complete rebuild anyway?

I'm more than a bit bewildered at the complete opposite way that I got treated at these two places and if I put costs completely aside, I'm not really sure which one treated me "better"!

The Oceanic guy was a bit expensive. I would have expected about $150.

The US Diver guy surprises me, pleasantly. That is what I would do with my own regulators. I rarely replace parts that look good and are still working fine. I doubt if many shops would have done that.

Enjoy.

He didn't replace 15 year old o rings? If I understand you correctly, it doesn't seem like a great price for what he did do.

I agree with awap. The Oceanic guys are just a but expansive. Here in SF bay area, shop are charging about $80 for labor for servicing a set of reg (1st + 2x 2nds). Parts for them are about $70 ($30 for 1st, $20 for 2nd). So average cost of servicing a set is $150. In your case, you also replace two diaphrams at $15 each, so $190 isn't too much out of expectation.

The US diver guys basically just charge your labor cost because service parts seems not replace. $75 isn't out of expectation either. But I wonder why parts are not replace for 15 year old regulator.

I agree with awap. The Oceanic guys are just a but expansive. Here in SF bay area, shop are charging about $80 for labor for servicing a set of reg (1st + 2x 2nds). Parts for them are about $70 ($30 for 1st, $20 for 2nd). So average cost of servicing a set is $150. In your case, you also replace two diaphrams at $15 each, so $190 isn't too much out of expectation.

You missed the fact that I only have *one* second stage on my Oceanic rig. I have integrated air on my BCD, so I have no octo. So, it does sound like my gut reaction was right - $190 for a first stage and a single second stage sounds quite high compared to what you pay in SF. I'll add that your taxes, living expenses, and real estate are FAR, FAR higher than here, so that makes it even more expensive than it seems.

Sounds like the us divers guy is not a authorized aqualung dealer and did not have access to parts. There is no way a 15 yr old regulator did not need o rings or a complete rebuild kit. To me it sounds like a half assed job. Chances are a new hose or 2 may also need change.
The oceanic should run about $59 labor on its and 2 second stages and service on spg spindle. Parts for rebuild kit around $40 to $50. New second stage diaphragms $15 x 2.so that totals $140. Add in cost on corroded labor charge and tax and brings you close to what you were charged for proper full servicing , like new regulator.Little high but not by much.

Sounds like the us divers guy is not a authorized aqualung dealer and did not have access to parts. There is no way a 15 yr old regulator did not need o rings or a complete rebuild kit. To me it sounds like a half assed job. Chances are a new hose or 2 may also need change.

No way you say!!!! I am still using 20 Y/O o-rings in some of my regulators. I have a Scubapro Mk3 that has not been rebuilt in over 20 years and still works just fine.

But I do understand, such an idea is bad for your LDS business. Much better to convince folks they need to have their regs serviced every year --- better for the LDS profits, that is.

No way you say!!!! I am still using 20 Y/O o-rings in some of my regulators. I have a Scubapro Mk3 that has not been rebuilt in over 20 years and still works just fine.

But I do understand, such an idea is bad for your LDS business. Much better to convince folks they need to have their regs serviced every year --- better for the LDS profits, that is.
I would agree with you on what I might do with my regulators, but would you really not replace 15 year old o rings on a regulator that you were charging to service?

I would agree with you on what I might do with my regulators, but would you really not replace 15 year old o rings on a regulator that you were charging to service?

Well, I am quite surprise. But I really think my surprise is base more on what I have come to expect from dive shops. I think the customer should have been consulted and given the option.

I guess I never expected the attitude to change. I have to hope that the availability of parts was not a consideration. It really is more work to inspect and re-install than it is to just replace with new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom