Set Vyper/Nitrox??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Okay, I feel stupid. Tell me how I get the Vyper into Nitrox mode. Every time I go from "3 mode" to "3 set" to "1 set" to
"3 dive options" there doesn't seem to be a 4 as in 3/4 set dive options. ow am I going to use the Nitrox option if I get get to it.

Frustrated!
Caymaniac :bounce:

caymaniac:
Okay, I feel stupid. Tell me how I get the Vyper into Nitrox mode. Every time I go from "3 mode" to "3 set" to "1 set" to
"3 dive options" there doesn't seem to be a 4 as in 3/4 set dive options. ow am I going to use the Nitrox option if I get get to it.

Frustrated!
Caymaniac :bounce:

If you just went diving in air mode, then it wont let you switch over for a couple of days.

That is why it is better to keep it in nitrox mode all the time, even when you dive on air, because it defaults to EAN21 (air) after 4 hours anyway.

MUCH sooner than 4 hours, more like 2 hours max...

From the manual:

NOTE! The computer will automatically revert to
the air (21% O2) setting when a new dive series
is started, if it is not set to any other mix during
the last two hours.

I wasn't able to find anything in the manual on how long you have to wait to be able to change the mode from AIR to NITROX. However I do remember waiting at least a until the next day to be able to do it. I think it may correspond to the NO FLY countdown. If that's true then the following applies:

The no-flying time is always at least 12 hours or
equivalent to the so-called desaturation time
(if longer than 12 hours). In the permanent Error
Mode and GAUGE Mode the no-flying time is 48 hours.

Marc

You can't change the mode for a period up to 48 hrs after your last dive. You can within three days - i just did to find out :wink:

Once you start a dive series, the set O2% does not revert to 21. A series can run over several days with overnight surface intervals. Once you desaturate, a new series starts and it will revert. If you arrive at the dive site and set your computer but wait more than 2 hours to dive - then it will revert.

always a good idea to check before each dive -no :bounce:

From my manual, in the front (page 3):

NOTE!
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE BETWEEN THE AIR, NITROX AND GAUGE MODES BEFORE THE INSTRUMENT HAS COUNTED DOWN THE NO-FLYING TIME.

IF YOU DIVE WITH THE GAUGE MODE, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE BETWEEN THE MODES WITHIN 48 HOURS.

WHEN PLANNING SUBSEQUENT AIR AND NITROX DIVES DURING THE SAME DIVE SERIES, YOU SHOULD HAVE THE DIVE COMPUTER SET IN THE NITROX MODE AND MODIFY THE GAS MIX ACCORDINGLY.

You set the mix using the set methods you're trying to enter; you must first set the mode using MODE- 3 SET- 3 SET PREF- 2 MODEL and set to Nitrox.

By the way, the Vytec and Stinger will allow going to EAN from Air anytime. Vyper doesn't say it can.

From what i can remember when i used mine on nitrox you cant change between air/nitrox/gauge mode until no-fly is up however if its set on nitrox you CAN alter the gas mix within that period/between dives.

The work around is to keep it set on Nitrox mode with 21% selected so its equivalent of air but can change to/from enriched gas mixes at will.

After a few hours it defaults to 21% mode anyway and for a new dive series so you *have* to check the computer gas, ppo2 etc before using a mix!

Assuming that you haven't been diving with it like everyone else has stated, Go into the menu mode, go to 3 Set, then go to 3 set Options, then to 3 Set Preferences this will then take you to the set preference options section, then go to 3 Model and select from Air, Gauge, or Nitrox. You will then be able to back out of the menu and go into the dive options part of the menu to set your Nitrox mix % etc. If you have the flowchart that came with the unit check it out and follow along the chart. Hope that helps. I just set my Vyper to Nitrox last night.

String:
From what i can remember when i used mine on nitrox you cant change between air/nitrox/gauge mode until no-fly is up however if its set on nitrox you CAN alter the gas mix within that period/between dives.

The work around is to keep it set on Nitrox mode with 21% selected so its equivalent of air but can change to/from enriched gas mixes at will.

After a few hours it defaults to 21% mode anyway and for a new dive series so you *have* to check the computer gas, ppo2 etc before using a mix!

Exactly. If you think you might change gases just keep it in Nitrox mode in case you dive that popular EANx mix of 21%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom