Setting regulator correctly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texas-Tom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Situation:
- Diving in Cancun (wreck C-55), descending the line, my backup regulator goes into free-flow. Very high current, and it was my fault because i had the backup regulator kinda hanging a bit out into the current, haven't been in high current situation before, just easy dives in Texas and Florida. I had the regulator also I think mis-configured so to speak.

So reading the regulator manual (its a Hog Classic) it says the below:

----------------
During the dive:
----------------
When you are ready to submerge, place the second stage in your mouth and set the venturi switch at a position between MIN and MAX that feels comfortable to you. Turn the inhalation control knob out (counter-clockwise) until the regulator breathes comfortably without leaking or being undesirably sensitive.

As you descend, you may want to turn the venturi switch on/or off, and the inhalation control knob further out to make breathing easier. This will be particularly true on deep dives where the air becomes denser.

If you swim underwater facing a strong current, you can turn the inhalation control knob back “in” (clockwise), to desensitize the opening effort to prevent any freeflow. At the end of your dive, be sure to return the venturi switch to the off position, and turn the inhalation control knob “in” when you have arrived at the surface.

So here are my questions:

Q1) How should I have my BACKUP regulator set when i dive ?
Venturi switch OFF and inhalation control knob all the way in ?

Q2) How should i have my PRIMARY regulator set when i dive ?
Venturi switch fully forward (ON) and inhalation control knob at a setting where it is comfortable ?

Q3) If i go on a deep dive, how should i have my PRIMARY regulator set when i dive ?
Venturi switch fully forward (ON), and inhalation control knob at a setting which is a bit further 'counterclockwise"
so to speak ? As in im 30' down, i have inhalation control knob at a particular setting, and then by the time I hit
lets say 80', i rotate knob a bit further out (counterclockwise), or am I just overthinking this and keep it simple at one
setting ?

I dont think HOG Classic went into freeflow for any other reason then i had the reg out in the very strong current and also because i think i had venturi setting and inhalation control knob incorrect. I'm basically trying to get advice on setting the HOG Zenith (primary reg I have) and HOG Classic (backup reg I have) properly. FYI, both regs have venturi and inhalation control knob...

1) I set it to hardest. But it'll be MINE and not the one I give. So I have all the time needed to set it up should I give away the other
2) Hard enough for it not to freeflow as soon as it gets out of my mouth. Usually that means venturi OFF, but it should be ON. I just haven't bothered setting the cracking pressure higher.
3) See 2. The deeper I go, the easier I want it to breathe.

That's how I do it, but I'm no expert...

If I understand it correctly these 2 controls serve the following functions on every reg that has them, regardless of what they are labelled:

1. Venturi - stops reg freeflowing and is usually a rotating vane in the path of the airflow. Keep it off (interrupting the air) on your backup while diving and on any reg that is out of the water.

2. Inhalation - adjusts cracking pressure, if set too far out the reg may slightly hiss. Screwed all the way in will increase breathing effort.. adjust to where comfortable. I have mine all the way out for easiest breathing when diving. My backup I have turned all the way in to minimise freeflow.

None of the settings will stop you from breathing out of it. For storage have the "Inhalation" control all the way out which will prolong the life of the 2nd stage seat.

what he said but if you are not diving with your backup on a suicide strap/necklace then I would recommend you go that route. With that type of setup you can turn the backup so it is mouthpiece up and can't freeflow due to current because the diaphragm is not exposed.

Thanks guys, much appreciated responses. And I did switch things up so now I have 5' primary hose and backup goes to necklace.

Back
Top Bottom