Setting up doubles and have divator mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

123frankie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a whole new diving setup which i need to get use to. I'm starting out slow in fresh water from the beach until im use to my new gear. I haven't dove for a few years now and just got hooked up with a offshore research company. I just got this new gear which i'm starting to set up. But b4 i do. I would love to hear ideas from others. Any ideas of how and where to put extra tools for working wrecks ect. I plan on working with my new gear in shallow fresh water before summer comes. I want to get use to everything and set things up right. I would just like your thoughts on how to set up my doubles. Also any input on my divator face mask from someone who uses this mask. I have twin 100's with vindicator valves. My face mask is a divicator full face mask which the hose comes off to my left side facing forward. I have all aqua lung gear. a wtx harness with s/s backplate,,surelock weights,tek 3 reg set,and drysuit. Im thinking of the full face mask coming off my left side reg and my other reg on my right side along with my b.c. inflator and drysuit inflator. I've never use a divator full face mask before. Would like some information on this mask also. Thanks Frank

I have the Guardian and did about 100 dives with it this summer and the last 80 were in doubles.

I played around with several different hose configurations - and ended up with one I like the best.

On the Left post I have;

1) drysuit inflator hose routed under my armpit
2) back up 2nd stage on long hose routed low acrss my shoulders, then down to my waist, then back up to a necklace (homemade necklace so it sits where I want it!!)
3) SPG

On the right post I have

1) BC/wing inflator hose routed across my back (r to l) then turning and bungeed along the corrugated hose to the wing
2) Short hose to my Guardian on a 360 Degree swivel

Your mask has the regulator hose inlet on the opposite side of mine so you should probably reverse the post that the second stage hoses come off of and you will be fine. I will be tweaking mine a little as I set up my new HOG regs. Ive had them for a month - just havent had a chance to get them in the pool or quarry and I dont like taking new gear to 100FSW in NJ where we have been.

As far as the mask goes - its good.Most are - it all about the fit on your face and if you can clear your ears. Getting my nose pieces set correctly took me a few dives but now its seamless to clear my ears. If the mask isnt fit correctly - you will go through air as it constantly leaks. I have my hood cut perfectly and at this point the maks fits my face perfectly - My SAC is as good and sometimes better than last years numbers with standard second stages.

I also have the COMMS - so if we talk a lot, we use a little more air - so we keep the chatter to a MIN.

Divator is a good mask with a good reputation. I looked at them - but I got the deal on the guardian and the guardian had a few goodies built in ( instead of add-ons - like ABV), and it fit me well.

Thanks for your ideas.I guess im going to have to check out my full face mask and my hood to see if i need to cut anything. I hate to cut the hoods rim. One mistake and you keep cutting till you get a good straight line.I could have set things up myself. But i brought it to a dive shop so they can put things together and check to make sure everything is right. Then i'll double check it.I got a 360 swivel for my mask and need some other hoses made up. I want to thank you for your time and helpful ideas.This is a great sport and can be alot of fun.We can learn alot from others. Frank

Thanks for your ideas.I guess im going to have to check out my full face mask and my hood to see if i need to cut anything. I hate to cut the hoods rim. One mistake and you keep cutting till you get a good straight line.I could have set things up myself. But i brought it to a dive shop so they can put things together and check to make sure everything is right. Then i'll double check it.I got a 360 swivel for my mask and need some other hoses made up. I want to thank you for your time and helpful ideas.This is a great sport and can be alot of fun.We can learn alot from others. Frank

I tried at first to not cut the hood. It was a mess. If the mask burps into the hood - its annoying. Also - I I couldnt get a great seal - AND - in order to get the seal its an extra 5 minutes positioning the mask perfectly on the hood.

So - I bought a cheap hood to be used exclusively with my mask and cut it.

Problem solved. I have a hood (uncut) to use when not diving the mask - and another (cut) to use then diving the mask.

Invert your tanks

the tanks that are sold with the divator are inverted like the scba tanks.
Interspiro Divator Mk II
As far as hoses on doubles, you can run the FFM hose from the right post like the octopus would usually be run, then run the octo as normal from the left post and you'll be good. Other option is to run the FFM hose from the right post, across your back and route it down under your shoulder and up which is the way I prefer to run it, then run the octo as normal. It gets rather cluttered back there, but it works.

Interesting. But - Why? What purpose does it serve. Now that I'm in the FFM group - I get approached all the time and end up answering questions about mine. That being said - Ive never heard of, been asked to, or seen anyone diving a FFM with inverted tanks so it makes me wonder - what is the "problem" or "issue" that is addressed by doing this.

Other than the fact that there is a commercially avaible kit that comes standard in this config - but Why?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom