Setting up my Kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just set up My Kayak so I can get out to the Bone Yard in Venice. I set it up with a outrigger. If anyone that dives from a Kayak is interested in showing me around let me know. I can go almost any day. Keep in mind I'm new to the Kayak diving but I'm not ne wto diving.

Fred

Last edited:
There is a bunch of us who kayak dive so I'm sure you'll have no problem getting hooked up. I'm available on weekends only, now that school is back in session. I don't know how this weekend will be viz wise since Ike is sure to create some surge.

fgray 1, I'm curious, why did you feel it necessary to add an outrigger? Do you have stability issues with your yak, or problems getting back on?

I'm not as young as I use to be . I tried getting on and off with and without one and I find it much easier to do both with the outrigger.
I can clip my gear to the outrigger and then sit sideways to get it back on the Kayak.
Basicly for comfort and stability. The outrigger I made doesn't add no drag. I figure if it works for the islanders around the world why not.
I did the same thing to a canoe to dive from and it worked great. Just to big to move around alone. That's why I went to a Kayak. I'm thinking of making a net to clip to the main supports to hold stuff. It's a work in progress.

I just set up My Kayak so I can get out to the Bone Yard in Venice. I set it up with a outrigger. If anyone that dives from a Kayak is interested in showing me around let me know. I can go almost any day. Keep in mind I'm new to the Kayak diving but I'm not ne wto diving.

Fred

looks good.........you'll probably enjoy it alot, keep us posted on your progress work.....

Hey,
I too am new to kayak diving and am an older diver. I live in Sarasota. My sons, ages 11 and 13 are divers too, but they aren't as keen on it as I am, so I'm looking for a buddy. There is a company in Tampa/St.Pete area that makes an outrigger kit for kayaks, Key West Kayaks or something like that. I found them on google. Check it out.

I am looking for a dive buddy. How far off shore is the Bone Yard?
my home e mail is (all one word, no spaces and using at sign and a period for dot) ancient diver at verizon dot net

Hey,
I too am new to kayak diving and am an older diver. I live in Sarasota. My sons, ages 11 and 13 are divers too, but they aren't as keen on it as I am, so I'm looking for a buddy. There is a company in Tampa/St.Pete area that makes an outrigger kit for kayaks, Key West Kayaks or something like that. I found them on google. Check it out.

I am looking for a dive buddy. How far off shore is the Bone Yard?
my home e mail is (all one word, no spaces and using at sign and a period for dot) ancient diver at verizon dot net

The Boneyard is about 1 mile offshore, not a bad paddle out, but the east and northest wind can make the paddle back tough at times.

I am thinking about going out to Venice maybe Wednesday if the weater is good, I am all so a new yak diver but not a new diver.

I'm available to do a yak dive wednesday, weather permitting. Where were you planning to launch from, what time?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom