Setting up the Inon s-2000 for first time use with G12 - please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leneve

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone direct me to somewhere for step by step instructions to connect up my new INON S-2000 strobe to the underwater housing for my Canon G12 camera? I got a long demo from the shop assistant but its all gone from my head just before first time use 5 months later.....any help much appreciated!!!

I found this quite helpful in explaining the settings:

Inon S2000 - anewton.net

If you go a search on this board, you'll find some posts that address ways to physically attach a fiber optic cable to your camera housing.

James

Can anyone direct me to somewhere for step by step instructions to connect up my new INON S-2000 strobe to the underwater housing for my Canon G12 camera? I got a long demo from the shop assistant but its all gone from my head just before first time use 5 months later.....any help much appreciated!!!

What type of housing are you using?

Fibre optic connection is easily enough handled.
Use the S2000 only in manual as the TTL (STTL) setting is too slow, it has to wait for the camera to send all the preflashes before firing, this wait can seem like eternity and WILL result in variations in your results.. .i.e. Subject movement and your own movement resulting in blurred pics.
Start with strobes on full power and either move the strobes in/out to meet your lighting requirements or adjust your power settings as per Panda's report listed link above. Excellent and easy report to follow BTW.
HTH,
Bruce

With this S2000 strobe coupled with a G12 you should probably install the magnet. That way when you shoot in Manual camera mode the S2000 will not expect a pre-flash when it (S2000) is set to Manual control and when you shoot in Auto exposure camera modes with the S2000 in the sTTL mode it will of course mimic the strobe providing a strong pre-flash rolling the camera into providing a lesser flash output and the S2000 provides the correct flash exposure.

On G and S series Canon cameras:

Program mode -- always a pre-flash
Auto Tv/Av -- pre-flash unless camera strobe is set to manual and then there is no pre-flash
Manual -- never a pre-flash

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

N

Last edited:
I've been told by the Inon distributor's to throw away the magnets because they are a waste of time and left over from their earlier efforts.
I've never used them with my EPL-2 in any mode and nothing but brilliant results.
My dive buddy Panda, (anewton.net) uses Inon Z220's and has never had a magnet in those either. . .go figure?
Throw the bloody things away, get in the water and point and shoot. . .simple. Don't try to make it hard!
Bruce

You are mistaken as to the purpose of the magnet. It tells the S2000 when in Manual mode whether to expect a pre-flash from the camera or not. In sTTL mode it has no function as sTTL overrides the magnet pre-flash on/off position switch which is what is being activated (or not) by the magnet when installed.

It is not complicated.

N

If I'm sooo wrong, why is it that I have never used the magnet and only use my EPL-2 in manual, strobes as well, that I have no problems with preflashes or any similar?
Bruce

Doesn't the anewton link say that the magnet is needed in manual mode to turn off the ACC if the camera only has one pre-flash? The Canon S95 only has one preflash so I always leave the magnet in

If I'm sooo wrong, why is it that I have never used the magnet and only use my EPL-2 in manual, strobes as well, that I have no problems with preflashes or any similar?
Bruce

I own and use two D2000 strobes and a new S2000 strobe and as I described is how mine work and is exactly what the manual says (in a more complicated way) as well. Maybe they have changed the software in the strobes since I bought my S2000 last month. I have no idea what you are doing or why you do it or if it works or not. Perhaps your strobe is broken and malfunctioning? Does your EPL-2 have auto flash in manual exposure mode? Are you running your ELP-2 strobe in Manual exposure setting, not just turning your exposure mode dial to M? Some cameras support auto flash TTL even when the camera is in M mode unless you turn the auto flash to manual. Yawn.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom