Setting up twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of setting up my twins. Going to have custom bands made because most of the bands available here only al80s (my tanks are lp72s).

Before I measure up and have my bands made, I started thinking about attachments. When a set is bolted to a plate, does the wing get sandwiched between the plate and tanks, or does the position of the bands allow a small space in between the tank and plate? Is it possible to use a small spacer to prevent the wing getting pinched, or will this affect tank stability?

Thanks.

Yes, the wing is sandwiched between the plate and bands of the doubles. This doesn't hurt the wing in any way. They are designed for this.

Hi everyone,
I'm currently in the process of setting up my twins. Going to have custom bands made because most of the bands available here only al80s (my tanks are lp72s).

I bought a set of LP 72s thinking I would set them up for doubles, only to learn too late they had 2 different diameter necks on those tanks. I have the narrow and was unable to locate a manifold for them last I was looking.

Just an FYI...

I bought a set of LP 72s thinking I would set them up for doubles, only to learn too late they had 2 different diameter necks on those tanks. I have the narrow and was unable to locate a manifold for them last I was looking.

Just an FYI...

My tanks are 3/4" and the manifold fits just nicely :D

@Firediver

Yeah,I was thinking about it some more, and to offset the assembly from the plate would place too much strain on the bolts and surrounding area, as well as move the valves further away from the head making valve drills potentially just a tad more difficult.

@pete

Those bands are beautiful! But shipping to the Philippines would probably push the price above something locally available here. Thanks!

If you lived anywhere else I would say you were out pf your mind for having custom bands made.

But as you know you can have just about anything custom made out of stainless locally and for super cheap.

Interesting notion. Good luck.

Make some for me. Which reg and manifold did you buy, goosfraba?
I have an NPT USD J serviced manifold for sale.

If you lived anywhere else I would say you were out pf your mind for having custom bands made.

But as you know you can have just about anything custom made out of stainless locally and for super cheap.

Interesting notion. Good luck.

PICT0031.jpg

Here they are!

Found a place that makes car exhaust mufflers. Had them made for around 30 dollars. They did it in such a way that the welds are hidden :D They also rounded the edges so there are no sharp edges :D

I plan to put a strip of inner tube between the bands and a tank to reduce dissimilar metal corrosion. (my 72s are hot-dipped galvanized) Is this necessary or is it overkill, and unneeded?

Last edited:
Make some for me. Which reg and manifold did you buy, goosfraba?
I have an NPT USD J serviced manifold for sale.

I got the 200BAR isolation manifold, using barrel o rings, convertible for DIN or yoke, from a shop locally that I think sources them from Ocean Divers Supply.

Here's a file photo from their site:

Screenshot2010-05-29at92802AM.png

Costs around 155 dollars.

Niiice. Adjustable. I have the rubber band things and only use them to protect painted tanks, but I don't use them because I like inner tubes and they look less cluttered and cost a g'day how are ya. My Gal tanks with stainless bands, heaps of dives, No Rubber normal hosedown, bands off for yearly hydro Not one crumb of corrosion. Under the boots however is a different matter. Thats where the quick hydrochloric comes in. I'll leave the formula to you. When I use car tube I cut the bands a couple of inches wider because they stretch all wierd slip them on install your new masterpieces then cut rubber with not 6000000000psi to avoid cutting through the tank but you're smart rubber retains moisture for centuries. Which reg did you buy to match your other reg? Goosfraba.

Back
Top Bottom