Several manufacturers missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t understand. Specific manufacturers are discussed in other forums all the time.

He means within their own manufacturer's forum. In other words, you shouldn't go to a manufacturer's forum and ask them to compare their gear to a different manufacturer's gear or to tell them why gear from a different manufacturer is better or worse than their gear. As you noted, that rule doesn't apply in the other forums where we do that sort of stuff all the time.

Regarding your other question having to do with manufacturers editing any posts or threads, good question. NetDoc?

Edit: As a lawyer, I'm reminded of how much one can learn if one only takes the time to read the rules. Here's an excerpt from the "Special Rules" for the Q&A Manufacturers Forum:

Please keep in mind that the Manufacturers represented here have graciously agreed to host those forums so that they can communicate about their products directly to the world via ScubaBoard. These are their forums, and so we have given them the right to moderate them as they see fit for both content and appropriateness.

Could you elaborate? Could a manufacturer edit an unflattering but accurate post to be flattering? Could they eliminate it without comment or discussion?
Let's face it. The BIGGEST obstacle to most manufacturers is that they feel like they lose control on an open forum like ScubaBoard. This is a great safeguard for them and often makes the difference between participation and not. The Forums we provide for them are THEIR forums and we give them control. However, they very rarely exercise that right and mostly in extreme circumstances.
I don’t understand. Specific manufacturers are discussed in other forums all the time.
As just clarified. Thanks.

There are some very big names conspicuously absent from this forum. Two that I'm currently shopping or at least considering: Scubapro and Atomic.

I get the impression that Atomic products are very well regarded (as they should be, since they seem to come at a premium price point - at least for regs). What I don't have much of a sense of is their reputation for customer service (hint: they could score some points there by having a presence here - but ultimately how they treat their paying customers is more important than answering questions here).

Scubapro seems like another obvious brand that should be here. I've got some very basic questions about some of their gear that I'm considering, and my local dive shop just shrugs when I asked them those simple questions. Sure wish there was some reasonable source of information on their stuff. Besides asking others here (which I've done), anybody know a way to get a hold of Scubapro and get them to answer a couple simple questions about their stuff?

Go to the Scubapro website. Find another store and email or call them. It sounds like it is that dealer that is not supporting you. I have always found Scubapro to have good service (well, in most cases). I agree that contacting some of the larger companies can be hard to do other that through a website form, but I also don't think they have the staff to run a "customer support line" all day long either. This is why they have dealers..... to answer those questions.

It's amazing to me that these last few manufacturers won't join us here. Here's a list of important things to remember about these forums:

They are absolutely FREE. ScubaBoard sees this as a community service.
We reach more divers than any other publication.
Manufacturer's can edit any post or thread.
We only allow the specific manufacturer to be discussed in their forums.
It's a great place to announce New Products and Deals.
It's a great way to show off your customer service.

As potential customers, you can do your part to encourage these manufacturers to join us. Let them know that you want them here and tell them why.

+1

Call, phone, email... I believe each of us familiar with these communication ways to get manufacture. Obviously, as well that this forum is unique resource to share such kind of information with much more people then single call and single mail. On the other hand, information shared here stored in DB of the forum and can be reached/found later. Reading the forum composes a whole picture and helps to define more precisely the questions.

Unlikely that manufactures like ScubaPro don't understand an advantages of forum participation. More likely, on my opinion, that their position on the market lets them possible to think about diving community just as source of business. From this point of view they really shouldn't participate in forums...

Back
Top Bottom