Several reasons why I do Trip Insurance for all International trips, and some others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The purpose of insurance isn't for "peace of mind", it is to cover losses you cannot afford.
I guess that just depends on how you look at it. I don't insure cell phones, won't for my immediate family - just warn them severely, but for my brothers family - yeah, get it. It simplies things.

I did insure the last laptop I bought. Did not need to, but while I did not break it - the coverage simplified things when I wanted warranty work done after the initial warranty ran out.

Your views are valid, just different from mine....

Just my two cents. Been travelling internationally for twenty years. Fifty plus trips to the Caribbean, Europe and Asia. Never bought trip insurance, never regretted the decision. It seems like you are betting that your trip will be a disaster. Kind of like buyin a lot of life insurance.

We have year-round travel insurance, if only to cover the possibility of the ever rising cost of medical care in the US...

I guess that just depends on how you look at it.

Your views are valid, just different from mine....

Whether the earth is round or flat depends on how you look at it. Some people like to draw to inside straights and are just thrilled when they win 8.5% of the time.

Just my two cents. Been travelling internationally for twenty years. Fifty plus trips to the Caribbean, Europe and Asia. Never bought trip insurance, never regretted the decision. It seems like you are betting that your trip will be a disaster. Kind of like buyin a lot of life insurance.

In 26 years of dive trips I always buy the insurance. Twice the weather delayed our trips and no other flights were scheduled to leave until the next day.

My trip to Bonaire next week cost me $120 for 2 people to insure trip for $2200.00. Now if we miss the plane for instance in San Juan we have to wait 24 hours until the next plane. We are paying $200.00 a day in Bonaire so the insurance will pay for itself if something happens.

Last trip my wife fell on a shore dive and was unable to dive for a few days and again it paid for itself.

It is piece of mind and less stress just to purchase the insurance IMHO.:D

My trip to Bonaire next week cost me $120 for 2 people to insure trip for $2200.00. Now if we miss the plane for instance in San Juan we have to wait 24 hours until the next plane. We are paying $200.00 a day in Bonaire so the insurance will pay for itself if something happens.

That is precisely the false analysis I was mentioning. You can't evaluate it on just the times when something goes wrong but over the long haul. How much in premiums have you paid over those 26 years?

If you miss the plane connection how long must you wait until the next plane if you have insurance?

That is precisely the false analysis I was mentioning. You can't evaluate it on just the times when something goes wrong but over the long haul. How much in premiums have you paid over those 26 years?

If you miss the plane connection how long must you wait until the next plane if you have insurance?

We are about even on premiums. We have missed days due to weather and one week we missed the entire trip due to illness and the $3000.00 trip was refunded for only $150 trip insurance.:confused:

We are about even on premiums. We have missed days due to weather and one week we missed the entire trip due to illness and the $3000.00 trip was refunded for only $150 trip insurance.:confused:

If you are even you are a risk anomaly as the insurers don't set rates to break even. On the trip you missed what would your *actual* loss have been, noting that most hotels allow you to cancel with 24-48 hours notice and airline flights can be rebooked for a change fee.

If you are even you are a risk anomaly as the insurers don't set rates to break even. On the trip you missed what would your *actual* loss have been, noting that most hotels allow you to cancel with 24-48 hours notice and airline flights can be rebooked for a change fee.

24-48 hours is not an option at a resort that requires a 1 week or better cancel. The illness occurred within 24 hours of departure. Can you honestly say a loved one will not get sick or pass away the day before your expensive, non-refundable trip? Like I said piece of mind. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Forgot one thing, it costs $100.00 a person to change your ticket last minute.

Back
Top Bottom