Several reasons why I do Trip Insurance for all International trips, and some others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my two cents. Been travelling internationally for twenty years. Fifty plus trips to the Caribbean, Europe and Asia. Never bought trip insurance, never regretted the decision. It seems like you are betting that your trip will be a disaster. Kind of like buyin a lot of life insurance.
Nah. I probly have about that many, didn't bother at first and never got into a problem I couldn't handle without insurance. Then I got smarter and started booking the insurance and have used it twice. Did buying the insurance cause the problems? Of course not - just good luck.

Sure, overall the insurance companies win, always been that way, but with my medical insurance worthless outside of the US, that $100,000 coverage alone is worth the $50 trip premium - to me.
Whether the earth is round or flat depends on how you look at it. Some people like to draw to inside straights and are just thrilled when they win 8.5% of the time.
I was talking about trip insurance. Enjoy your art classes.
24-48 hours is not an option at a resort that requires a 1 week or better cancel. The illness occurred within 24 hours of departure. Can you honestly say a loved one will not get sick or pass away the day before your expensive, non-refundable trip? Like I said piece of mind. That's all I have to say on the subject.
Yep, or while you're there.

I could have made this a poll, but it doesn't matter who does insurance vs who doesn't. I am some pity for those who don't and then end up with severe losses; it's just limited. But on the trip plan, it is a personal decision. Just wanted this thread to link in my Sig to explain the reasons for... :wink:

24-48 hours is not an option at a resort that requires a 1 week or better cancel. The illness occurred within 24 hours of departure. Can you honestly say a loved one will not get sick or pass away the day before your expensive, non-refundable trip? Like I said piece of mind. That's all I have to say on the subject.

I said way back in my first post that there may be cases where trip insurance is worthwhile. If you're facing a 100% cancellation penalty or likelihood of a personal disruption then maybe get it. I've never said one should always reject the insurance but do believe it's not wise to always buy it. I suggest evaluating your personal risk factors and potential real losses on a selective case by case basis.

Peace of mind is a subjective and intangible argument that has no place in a cost/benefit analysis. Those that need it will never be swayed otherwise.

(Just curious, how do you document such illness?)

I said way back in my first post that there may be cases where trip insurance is worthwhile. If you're facing a 100% cancellation penalty or likelihood of a personal disruption then maybe get it. I've never said one should always reject the insurance but do believe it's not wise to always buy it. I suggest evaluating your personal risk factors and potential real losses on a selective case by case basis.

Peace of mind is a subjective and intangible argument that has no place in a cost/benefit analysis. Those that need it will never be swayed otherwise.

(Just curious, how do you document such illness?)

With my trip insurance you just need a doctors note even if you got the flu the night before. Death would need a copy of the death certificate.

With my trip insurance you just need a doctors note even if you got the flu the night before. Death would need a copy of the death certificate.
Pre-existing conditions are covered if you buy the insurance shortly after booking, I think within 14 days. A marketing ploy for the insurance companies, but nice to cover those.

Buying after NOAA has already forecast a hurricane to hit your destination is a little late, but we see people wanting to every year here... :11:

You two are having so much fun I almost hate to barge in with my $.02! Paid $260 for insurance on our $11,000 Indonesia trip last year, less than 2.5% of the trip cost. Never used it. But given the cost of the trip, the remoteness to first-world medical care, and the sketchy nature of airlines in that area, we wouldn't have left home without it. No regrets.

There, I'm done ... go for it!

Antarctic Treaty freezes claims, the USA and many other states do not recognize these territorial claims and have made no claims themselves. According to the the USA, Antarctica is neutral. Is Antarctica always valid for the insurance TravelSafe?

I think that DAN is more sure than TravelSafe.
Thanks for your PM. I kinda overlooked this post to an extent. It's an unusual destination but some are going there, and yeah - I'd want such a huge and challenging trip covered. There or anywhere else, it'd be good to confirm that your carrier will covera it. I'm not promoting any particular company...

We are about even on premiums. We have missed days due to weather and one week we missed the entire trip due to illness and the $3000.00 trip was refunded for only $150 trip insurance.:confused:

Yes, the inside straight does occasionally pay off.

But if it is peace of mind you are after, then buy the insurance. Both you and the travel agent will enjoy the problems it solves and the travel agent will probably make a few extra buck to boot.

But if it is peace of mind you are after, then buy the insurance. Both you and the travel agent will enjoy the problems it solves and the travel agent will probably make a few extra buck to boot.

But shouldn't one buy trip insurance from at least three separate companies? Just in case one declares bankruptcy as you are boarding the plane and one turns out to be a scam company that doesn't pay claims. After all, we can't bear any risk or responsibility whatsoever!

Buying after NOAA has already forecast a hurricane to hit your destination is a little late, but we see people wanting to every year here... :11:

Who is "we" and what is "here"? You don't have some undisclosed relationship with travel insurance providers that may be influencing your post, do you?

Who is "we" and what is "here"? You don't have some undisclosed relationship with travel insurance providers that may be influencing your post, do you?
Nah, new members joining Scubaboard when they get into that situation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom