Severe Headaches When Diving Deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And last, from the description "top of head" I think you can rule out sinus, ear or TMJ as the source and neck strain or stress is unlikely.

Au contraire! Some years ago, I developed severe headaches which was extremely unusual for me. At one point, the pain was so intense, I collapsed to my knees. I wasn't diving, but the Missus called my Doctor who told me to get to the hospital pronto. Since I wasn't dead by the time I got there, they ruled out an aneurysm, and suspected meningitis... The pain was right in the top and back of my head.

They did a spinal on me (pleasant!) and ruled out that thankfully. The neurologist I was seeing asked if I had ever seen a Chiropractor... which I hadn't. Anyway, to make a long story marginally shorter, a few adjustments and I was cured.

An old shoulder injury was triggering a series of muscle spasms, and they ended up in the muscles of my scalp... hence the headaches!

So the reason I suggested that, is precisely because of the location... BUt I agree, not sinus or TMJ.

I still think it's more likely either a CO2 hypercapnia issue or possibly contaminated air, but the muscle thing is worth investigating.

Last edited:
Au contraire!
In my own defense I did qualify the neck as a source as "unlikely" and not "ruled out" and leaving the door open for the odd diver or Stoo :D

Just breath naturally is a great start. Also make sure you are warm enough and your hood is keeping your head warm. I found a good hood made a difference for me with post dive comfort.

It could also be that your regulator is no longer giving you adequate amount of air, so you are building up CO2. I once borrowed a reg for a second tank and ended up with an enormous headache whilst using it which went away when I swapped to my own reg (still at 60 metres). When I switched back to the borrowed reg at a much shallower depth, I did not get a headache. Therefore, it may be that your reg needs servicing or in may not be adequate for deeper water (but I doubt this).

To me there's only one answer for this: get a physician involved. There are good physicians in Thailand. I would start by calling DAN. I think it's fine to ask other divers about anything you want to, but with something as important as your brain (potentially), I would not take chances by asking people on the internet to diagnose it.

- Bill

I would not take chances by asking people on the internet to diagnose it.

This is a common comment on medical question threads, but asking other divers first is a good idea because they jog your memory for additional details that may have contributed to your situation. Unless we take our doctor on the dive, he won't see all the circumstances.

I used to get headache after 3rd & 4th dives of the day in the 1st a couple years of diving experience by having shorth breaths or holding a breath when taking a picture, in an effort to reduce air consumption to match my dive buddy's air consumption with 30-years of diving experience under his belt. He finally told me to relax, breathe normally & don't worry about air consumption. Afterward, my headache becomes less. Now, after 11 years of diving, logging 550+ dives, my air consumption ~ 0.4 cfm, pretty much matching his with 40+ years of diving experience, logging 1000+ dives. The key advise is just to relax, breathe normally & experience will improve the air consumption. And no more headache after deep diving to 147' (45m).

I experienced some headaches on my last trip (multiple deep dives over a number of days) - figured out it was due to biting on the mouthpiece too hard. Eased off a bit and they went.

Back
Top Bottom