Severe soft tissue infection, presumed related to rental wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems like it would be a good idea, if you must rent gear of any kind, to check ahead of time as to the op's cleaning/drying/storage procedures. Hopefully, you hear that they have such procedures and that they sound serious about protecting their clients from risks like this.

My takehome from this story would be that if I was going to rent a wetsuit, I would pack a couple of Steramine tablets, and throw them in a tub with the suit before putting it on.

When dunking isn’t an option I wonder if Dettol diluted and in a small spray bottle would be workable and just target the groin and axilla areas. From previous threads I know some dive shops use this in their dunk tank and according to their product info it does kill MRSA.

For me it could prove useful when in locales with concierge service and they handle the wetsuits between dive. Until now I have used the what “I don’t know can’t hurt me” option.

Last edited:
I've always been a germaphobe, so I always used my own wetsuit, except for the days I took my certification dives. Now I own all my own gear. Don't know if you can get bacteria from a regulator, but I wouldn't risk it.

Apeks actually promotes their second stages as having some sort of antibacterial something in them.

...Sounds like a good research study, actually. Pretty easy to do, we would just need a few squares of neoprene and some culture material.

MRSA lives on the skin but has a special affinity for the nose, axilla and groin. It is possible for a carrier without an active infection to transmit the bacteria. But even if you are exposed, as doctormike said, it doesn’t mean you will get an active infection.

I'm a microbiologist, perhaps we should collaborate and try to find funding for a study that would pay for our dive travel trips! :wink:

Thanks for sharing this important and valuable information
Hi, This isn't my story, I'm posting it for a friend who prefers to remain anonymous. But I can communicate any questions that people have to the OP and share the answers here...

Thanks for sharing this important and valuable information. We returned from a trip to the Caymans in November and after the flight back from Little Cayman to Grand Cayman, as we were deplaning and going down the short flight of steps on the Twin Otter, the young man walking in front of me dropped his bag and bent down quickly to retrieve it.

His shorts slipped down and I had an unwelcome and extensive view of his butt right in front of my face. The skin of his butt was heavily covered with ugly, red, angry-looking pimples and pustules. My first thought was impetigo, a nasty skin infection (Strep and Staph) that is more common in children but can also infect adults - but I didn't offer to do a culture!

I don't know if he had the infection before he went on vacation or if he picked it up (or it got worse) while on the island, and I don't know if he brought his own gear or rented, but I sure wouldn't want to use a suit after he was done with it!

I often see individuals sitting around all day in wet swimsuits, especially on liveaboards. It's true that your suit will partially dry if you spend your time outdoors in the sun (the risks of skin cancer is a separate topic!) but the suit usually stays damp in the nooks and crannies. There's a good reason that they won't let you into the salon and living areas while wearing your swimwear on LOBs. You will leave damp marks and things will eventually start to get moldy.

I like to bring 3 swimsuits with me and 2 sets of skins on dive trips so that I can regularly rotate them and have clean, dry items on hand. I also like to change suits during the day, before the morning, afternoon, and night dives. Not only is it icky to sit around in wet clothes but you are asking for skin trouble IMO.

You don't need to overpack, but the swim gear is stuff that you will be using a lot (hopefully!) on a dive trip and it is worthy of the luggage space.

We rented gear during our training and early days of diving, and one time when the weather/water was colder than expected, but for the most part we prefer to use our own equipment. I am always surprised when someone posts that they don't bring gear and like to rent on dive trips because it's "too much trouble to lug all that stuff." I suppose that if you are only going to have the chance to do a couple of dives on a trip that may make sense - but it is very nice to have your own gear for many reasons!

Last edited:
So, about that person who used the rental wetsuit before you... what if it is you and your own wetsuit... should I read between the lines here and end up possibly assuming that these things only can happen in rental wetsuits and not in your own?

Isn't your own wetsuit (and mine) also a spongy monster of sorts soaked in some bacterial an viral mix wherever it goes + your own skin contributions and then left to dry and harbor and breed whatever if not cleaned / disinfected...?

What to do - within reason with your own suit? Hanging in the sun (UV) inside out and outside out likely is only good for stuff at or near the surface - or?

So really, how to wash? How hot, what soap, detergent or scuba branded pharmacy priced stuff? How often? Not after every use - or?

Just wash or also disinfect? How does one disinfect a wetsuit into the deepest pores? How often? ...

I also would volunteer to test this extensively at a nice tropical locale...

Schwob, I'm no expert, but I would suspect I dive infrequently enough that my wetsuit remains thoroughly dry long enough--at least a few weeks--that the microorganisms dehydrate and die. I'm sure UV exposure would help, but it can also promote deterioration of the neoprene. That's why wetsuit manufacturers advise drying in the shade. The more frequently I dive, the more attention I would pay to disinfecting. But I don't THINK I presently dive often enough for this to be an issue.

Anyone with a more scientific perspective?

I'm a microbiologist, perhaps we should collaborate and try to find funding for a study that would pay for our dive travel trips! :wink:

I'm in! Seriously, it sounds like an easy study to do, I just left academic medicine about 15 years ago, so don't have lab access any more... :)

Get a bunch of squares of different wetsuit material, get a bunch of standard cultures, try saline, soap, Steramine, Vikron, etc...

While in vitro results don't necessarily correlate with clinical disease, it's a start!

Back
Top Bottom