Shallow in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbmooney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all -

I'm considering taking my wife and daughter to Cozumel in mid-March for some diving. I've never been before myself, and I have two questions for you all. While I'm sure the answers are on the board somewhere, I haven't found them. So, with apologies in advance for covering old ground;

1 - I'm a relative noob, and while I have an AOW card and a couple of dives deeper than 60', I'm happier shallower for the moment. Also, my wife and daughter are less experienced than I (daughter just got certified), and shallow is important for them. Is shallow available in Coz? I've heard the reef wall is 60-100' down - is that right? Do you think Coz is a good choice for newbies who aren't looking to.dive deep?

2 - I don't need to tell anyone it's been a cold winter in the USA, but how has that affected water and air temps on the Yucatan? What would you expect temps to be around St. Patrick's Day?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

There are not a lot of real shallow dives in Cozumel. The only really shallow reef is Columbia shallows which is a very long and beautiful reef in the 20 to 25 ft range. The rest of the shallow dives are in the 45 to 60 ft range. Most dive ops do 2 dives, the first deep (80 ft) and the second shallow. The dive op at the Occidental Grand does 4 single tank dives each day so it would be possible to do nothing but shallow reefs with them (Dive Palancar). Another option is most of the deep reefs can be dove as a shallow dive just by staying at the top of the reef. You may have to hire a private DM to do that but that should also work fine if you let them know your plans and needs.

All of the shops here are able to accommodate divers who wish to stay shallower, you just need to let them know your wishes are when you are booking the dives. I would also suggest that what is appropriate at the beginning of a dive trip may change somewhat by the end. People who are comfortable in 40 feet of water often become comfortable deeper after a while diving in the warm, clear water, and building up their confidence and skill. I'm not suggesting that you will become "deep divers" after a holiday, but dives in the 70 foot range are well within most peoples comfort level after a while in the water in Cozumel.

You may also consider signing up your family for an advanced course and tagging along on the dives. That way you are building up skills as a group, and also benefitting from the expertise and personal supervision of an instructor on your dives.

Enjoy your trip.

There are a number of sites where you can do shallower dives. Many experienced divers would dive some of these sites deeper but that doesn't mean you have to. As others have said, tell your dive op your experience levels and what you are looking for. You should be able to find one to fit the bill easily.

Paradise Reef 40'
Las Palmas 40-50' at top of wall
Chankanaab Shallows 30-45'
Chankanaab Bolones 55' +
Tormentos 50-60' on top
Yucab 40-60'
Paso del Cedral 50-60'
La Francesa 45-65'
Dalila 45-65'
Columbia Shallows 25-40'

Enjoy your trip. Coz is a great remedy for a harsh winter!

I've been to Coz 3 times and the first time there was my 17th dive - 80 + feet. If you are up front and honest with the dive shop you choose regarding you and your family's experience , they will be able to accomodate you. Hiring a private DM would be a good idea. Cozumel has such fabulous diving - everyone will gain confidence and become more and more comfortable with the deeper dives. Good luck . . . you'll be glad you chose Cozumel!!

I'm about to take my first extended trip to Cozumel with my son (extended to me is 7 days :) I've been diving twice on cruise stops). We spent a week in Grand Cayman last summer and it's somewhere else you may want to consider. Every thing is more expensive there, but we did a lot of shore diving, which brought the "per dive" cost down quite a bit. Lots of good, shallow reef diving from shore and very little current.

Wouldn't try to talk you out of Cozumel - just another option.

The list BTravlin gave you is a good one. Palancar Gardens is also another very nice shallow dive with lots of color. When I get asked this question I also suggest San Francisco Wall as an excellent introduction to wall drift diving for inexperienced divers. You can drop down on a nice sandy bottom to get settled first and then just ease over a few feet below the top of the wall and let the usually easy current take you. Most of the best coral there is at 65 feet and above so there is really no need to go much deeper. Quite a bit more info you might find of interest at Cozumel Dive Sites - Mexico Travel Guide - MXTravel.com

Matt and BTravelin really covered it. I love the shallower sites nearly as much as the deep ones, but once you swim between two giant coral towers and then out over the bottomless blue, you'll be hooked!!!. Warm clear water and good company on the boat and you'll be at 80' having a blast before you know it! Blue Angel has a nice little shore dive at 25' max. We always stay there and I don't know what their policy is for the shore diving, but I'm sure a tank/gear rental would get you access - and the lunch at the on site restaurant is pretty darn good too!

Have fun!!

The big issue is that on a 2-tank dive the first dive is always the deepest. You aren't going to get to determine where the boat goes for that first dive, in most instances, as most dive ops in Cozumel only have 1-2 boats. You must discuss you issues with the Dive Op before you book to make sure they can accomodate your wishes.

On the other hand........ I think Cozumel boat diving, even down to 80' depth on first dive, is fine for newly certified divers with some exceptions. I don't recommend those deeper dives for young kids - how old is your daughter? Age 10-14 really shouldn't go that deep, even though most dive ops will take them.

You can also have the option of hiring a private DM for the newer divers. This works great for the first day, when you are all unsure about it.

Another great option... stay at Scuba Club Cozumel. They have a really good shore diving area setup, never deeper than 25', with tons of fish.
Watch my video:
[vimeo]11565537[/vimeo]
This is unique to SCC, no other dive resort on island has such a nice setup. Our last trip there (last April), we saw a few couples who were brand new divers or a newly certified spouse take advantage of practicing skills there.

Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop

Another nice thing about SCC, is that they do have several boats, so you could request to be on a boat to dive SHALLOWER sites both dives. I am sure they would work something out for you. Our last trip there we saw such a group, a family with kids and one who just got certified there at SCC, on the smaller boat. I am sure they went to shallower sites.

robin:D

you will be fine, you will find the depth to be easier in Coz.......just be honest with your dive operator when you book your dives, and make sure your family has there own dm on your first day or two, after that, you wont care! Have Fun, Coz is the best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom