Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There will be many disappointed divers with reservations including Brothers. I wonder what the operators will do to make up for the loss of Brothers? I don't think they can all hang out at Daedalus and Elphinstone to make up for their 2 days at Brothers.

I emailed the CDWS, Chamber of Diving and Watersports, and they replied nearly immediately, confirming closure of Brothers from Dec 7-31. They supplied me with the same document posted by @InTheDrink, based on the decree by the Red Sea Governor. See also the post above, Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands with the statement from HEPCA, Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Association. It is of interest that HEPCA considers the problems to not be limited to Brothers, but to be prevalent throughout the Red Sea.

I emailed the Red Sea Aggressor I to inquire how they will be handling the Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone route during the closure, but have not heard back from them yet. I would imagine that @Pyro has made a similar inquiry.

I emailed the CDWS, Chamber of Diving and Watersports, and they replied nearly immediately, confirming closure of Brothers from Dec 7-31. They supplied me with the same document posted by @InTheDrink, based on the decree by the Red Sea Governor. See also the post above, Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands with the statement from HEPCA, Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Association. It is of interest that HEPCA considers the problems to not be limited to Brothers, but to be prevalent throughout the Red Sea.

I emailed the Red Sea Aggressor I to inquire how they will be handling the Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone route during the closure, but have not heard back from them yet. I would imagine that @Pyro has made a similar inquiry.

That’s pretty much dry doc season and probably not a lot of boats would go out there then. At least not for sharks.

Hopefully @Pyro can give us an update and I’ll ask other guide friends what’s happening.

It should not be that hard to make a short list of
Reasons. In Florida, the authorities would go out
Of their way to destroy any predator that seemed to have lost a natural fear of humans - on land anyway. Watching those sharks approach divers and repeatedly invade their personal
Space with zero deterrence, is teaching them to be more
And more bold in my opinion.

I have not made any inquirerys yet since I head out tommorow for my first trip on the liveaboard to St. John’s. Am doing back to back trips so figure I will just ask them when I get there what is going to be happening
Hi @Pyro_ What operator are you using? I did back to back weeks with both the southern itinerary, St John's/Daedalus, and the northern itinerary, Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone.

It should not be that hard to make a short list of
Reasons. In Florida, the authorities would go out
Of their way to destroy any predator that seemed to have lost a natural fear of humans - on land anyway. Watching those sharks approach divers and repeatedly invade their personal
Space with zero deterrence, is teaching them to be more
And more bold in my opinion.

I’m sorry but it is more complex. They mostly come up close but it’s when they dart up and down with pectorals down that it’s a little more risky. I’ve dived with more than 10 at once at it was ok-ish. Whilst guiding. This time on one dive I just had one small one and it got way too risky.

1. I really don’t believe that suddenly sharks have decided we’re harmless. That would be a major change and these guys don’t change easily

All change is sudden when you are the one getting eaten. People have been talking about conservation and overpopulation since 19th century, yet global warming is "sudden" now. Ozzie record of shark attacks goes back to 18th century, IIRC, but attacks are all of a sudden now.

You’re just being silly now.

I have said what I have seen and heard.

No outrage.

I’ve more facts.

Why are you being defensive? Surely we’re just try to look at solutions rather than attacking each other?

You have an important role as a staff member and moderator. Respect your role.
I didn't reply to you.

I am not a moderator. I am staff but in a different role but that doesn't pertain to my comments in this thread and I have been respectful.

I didn't reply to you.

I am not a moderator. I am staff but in a different role but that doesn't pertain to my comments in this thread and I have been respectful.
Ok fine. Just reflect on some of your comments. Like don’t tell me to pull the other one when you haven’t been in the same water with them currently. A little bit of respect goes a long way and whether staff or mod you should comport yourself more professionally. Right. Now we’re good. No offense either side I hope. And it’s a distraction anyhow to a serious subject.

All change is sudden when you are the one getting eaten. People have been talking about conservation and overpopulation since 19th century, yet global warming is "sudden" now. Ozzie record of shark attacks goes back to 18th century, IIRC, but attacks are all of a sudden now.

Shark attacks are pretty much stable. Human activity near sea has increased significantly. Don’t blame the sharks.

Global warming is not suddenly happening now and I actually have no idea what you’re talking about. We known about this from all least the 50s. Is there some other point you’re trying to make as I am baffled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom