Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OWT are already being culled worldwide and are endangered, we just need to wait up and problem will be solved anyway. BTW, I shared the video to demonstrate that they are acting natural (I mean the sharks), so, there is no reason for culling. Only abnormal behavior could be that perhaps they have learned that divers are harmless and can be approached with less caution. On the positive side, most of the divers in the video are in vertical position, although the other way around.
I think improvement needed in diver behavior and training, authorities needs to review and adapt their policies with the help of scientists and experts (I think they are doing it exactly now), and operators needs to review their risk mitigation procedures.
@cerich , could you please provide data and examples to prove your point that culling pelagics worked somewhere?

That is why bangsticks were invented. I don’t believe it involves more than a handful of OWT that have gotten conditioned, resolve them and give the site a break and solved.

I know that many will be upset at that, they should be. They don’t deserve it but people have caused it.

Maybe you’re right. Of course you could easily be wrong too. I don’t think anyone right now knows for sure but in the absence of actual understanding they I believe have done the right thing and closed it down for a while.

The most plausible explanation for now is poor waste management and not a few sharks getting conditioned to humans. I saw some rapid change in behaviour that leads me to *believe* that environmental conditions- i.e. boats waste management caused this rapid change in behaviour.

I absolutely could be wrong.

OWT are already being culled worldwide and are endangered, we just need to wait up and problem will be solved anyway. BTW, I shared the video to demonstrate that they are acting natural (I mean the sharks), so, there is no reason for culling. Only abnormal behavior could be that perhaps they have learned that divers are harmless and can be approached with less caution. On the positive side, most of the divers in the video are in vertical position, although the other way around.
I think improvement needed in diver behavior and training, authorities needs to review and adapt their policies with the help of scientists and experts (I think they are doing it exactly now), and operators needs to review their risk mitigation procedures.
@cerich , could you please provide data and examples to prove your point that culling pelagics worked somewhere?
You can google culling and shark populations. Not so hard to find a ton of data, often by anti culling people.

The difference between this and Aussie is in Aussie it was interaction that just happened. These OWT are conditioned. Heck, I was just reading a post from an operative there where they talked about feeding at brothers.

Regardless, not here to fight with you, it’s a discussion and I am basing it on some experience and research. That doesn’t make me an expert but I sure as heck have knowledge than many in this industry that scream they are experts. I am not as expert as some who make cash from it, I reformed myself.

Two things:

1. I really don’t believe that suddenly sharks have decided we’re harmless. That would be a major change and these guys don’t change easily

2. Diver experience now has to improve. Many are oblivious to hazard despite excellent and detailed briefings. But with 20 dives you just should not be out there never mind the sharks. I have been on a boat where the lead guide refused - rightly so - to guide the divers who had next to no experience. These dives are fine but it’s in the blue. Deep water. Sometimes serious current. Remote. No rescue services. I think it’s morally wrong to put inexperienced divers in that situation.

I hope but doubt this will change.

Maybe you’re right. Of course you could easily be wrong too. I don’t think anyone right now knows for sure but in the absence of actual understanding they I believe have done the right thing and closed it down for a while.

The most plausible explanation for now is poor waste management and not a few sharks getting conditioned to humans. I saw some rapid change in behaviour that leads me to *believe* that environmental conditions- i.e. boats waste management caused this rapid change in behaviour.

I absolutely could be wrong.
Waste discharge is new?

You can google culling and shark populations. Not so hard to find a ton of data, often by anti culling people.

The difference between this and Aussie is in Aussie it was interaction that just happened. These OWT are conditioned. Heck, I was just reading a post from an operative there where they talked about feeding at brothers.

Regardless, not here to fight with you, it’s a discussion and I am basing it on some experience and research. That doesn’t make me an expert but I sure as heck have knowledge than many in this industry that scream they are experts. I am not as expert as some who make cash from it, I reformed myself.

I don’t think there’s much discussion that the OWTs are conditioned to boats. They are.

I don’t think they are conditioned to humans. Their behaviour changes day to day hour to hour and as I said I believe environmental changes have simply elicited normal territorial/aggressive behaviour.

I don’t think there’s much discussion that the OWTs are conditioned to boats. They are.

I don’t think they are conditioned to humans. Their behaviour changes day to day hour to hour and as I said I believe environmental changes have simply elicited normal territorial/aggressive behaviour.
They are conditioned to boats bringing them food. Then when big meat sacks called people jump in water they are curious and investigate and unlike some of their breathern OWT “don’t do” exploratory bites. They like to commit themselves. That is messy.

But OWT also have been known to travel far and long when some of their cohorts ring the dinner bell in a serious manner. Maybe the population is too small or maybe the bell hasn’t been rung loud enough but that doesn’t seem to be happening here. That bolsters my thoughts it’s just a couple/handful that have gotten conditioned.

If the discharge was enough to condition them you would see dozens of OWT under the boats every day. Is that happening? Look at how efficient OWT are with shipwrecks with lots of people in the water for long enough for them to answer the dinner bell.

Some of the practices are new, yes
So people can’t or won’t say who is feeding or if people are in fact feeding but will say definitively that other boats discharge procedures have changed. Yeah no, pull the other one

They are conditioned to boats bringing them food. Then when big meat sacks called people jump in water they are curious and investigate and unlike some of their breathern OWT “don’t do” exploratory bites. They like to commit themselves. That is messy.

But OWT also have been known to travel far and long when some of their cohorts ring the dinner bell in a serious manner. Maybe the population is too small or maybe the bell hasn’t been rung loud enough but that doesn’t seem to be happening here. That bolsters my thoughts it’s just a couple/handful that have gotten conditioned.

If the discharge was enough to condition them you would see dozens of OWT under the boats every day. Is that happening? Look at how efficient OWT are with shipwrecks with lots of people in the water for long enough for them to answer the dinner bell.

The Indianapolis is disputed regarding OWTs.

And yes when waste management is done wrong you do suddenly see OWTs appearing quickly under the boat in question and acting aggressively. I hope that has answered your question.

Back
Top Bottom