Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So people can’t or won’t say who is feeding or if people are in fact feeding but will say definitively that other boats discharge procedures have changed. Yeah no, pull the other one

I’m telling you as best I know and have been told by people running the boats. I’ve seen it first hand and the change in behaviour is dramatic.

And of course people won’t name names for obvious reasons.

The Indianapolis is disputed regarding OWTs.

And yes when waste management is done wrong you do suddenly see OWTs appearing quickly under the boat in question and acting aggressively. I hope that has answered your question.
I didn't say the Indy.. don't assume. I am aware that is disputed as to the shark in question. However other sinkings there is no question as to what types of sharks involved.

@InTheDrink , I have not dived brothers this year but if I do a youtube search of owt/longimanus and sort it by upload date, I see many similar encounters as seen in the original incident video, which also overlaps with my personal experience. In my mind his is a good example of owt showing elevated aggression that can be seen also in the body language (probably it is feeling threatened by the tiger):

Most of the other cases I consider as "normal" aggression/probe, including this incident. What makes you think something has changed? I had several dives where silkies were literally stuck under the boat mesmerized by running water from the boat. Waste management has never been not on the better side imho. Is there any common bad practices that you know of?

@cerich on this side of the ocean, if one would like to get respect and credibility, needs to put facts on the table, and does not use "silly" statements such as "google it yourself". I will have to ignore your insights.

Hepca
Important announcement about the closure of Brother Islands.

Regarding closure of brother Islands, HEPCA was informed by the closure decree of the Brother Islands, based on official request by National Parks. To make it clear for everyone, the closure is not to hide a planned crime scene for sharks or to investigate the reasons for the unusual change in shark behavior noticed recently, simply because the case is very obvious: the practices of some safari Boats operating in the areas are not any more tolerant by nature. Overuse of the diving reefs and bad practices are not just restricted to the Brother Islands but it mostly everywhere, and the only way to mitigate the current impact is to follow simple rules that was announced thousands times before and is in the bylaw that all boats have it on board

As we are certain and also after consultation with Shark Project organization, the situation is not only in Brothers but it is every where, and the only solution for time-being as short term plan is to stop the unsustainable practices like fishing, feeding and disposal of organic material.

Here are some do’s and dont’s for the safety of divers in the water and we urge everyone to follow the following in every dive sites :

-Enjoy the unique chance to dive with predators

-Always follow the instructions of your Dive Guides.

-Never feed a shark or chum with fish, fish-blood or organic waste. This creates a dangerous situation due to possibly irritated senses, competition or conditioning. Keep in mind that there is always the risk of an accident, especially if you do not follow the rules:

- Do not show fear, but be respectful
- Avoid quick movements, even when sharks come very close
- Stay in an upright position and avoid uncontrolled quick kicks
- Keep your hands close to your body
- Stay close to your group, sharks investigate individual divers more intensively
- Always keep eye-contact with sharks investigating you close - they come back soon
- Be aware that sharks like to approach from the back
- Overlook the whole situation (3D!) - buddys can even do it better together
- Know where all the sharks are (especially when filming or taking pictures) - any time you feel uncomfortable leave the water controlled together with your buddy
- Never touch a shark or molest it, try to keep a distance of minimum two body lengths
- If a shark gets very close push water against it (or a camera, Shark Stick etc.) - as soon as a shark touches you, stay calm and keep your eyes on the shark, leave the water
- still keep an eye on the whole situation when ascending and getting back on the boat

If you find out that there is food or bait in the water (this could be from a different group, organic waste from a boat or natural prey)
- Warn your dive guide and the other divers and leave the water
- Never touch the bait or get close to it
- Never be in the chum line (sharks normally approach against the current)

Report to HEPCA with pictures/Videos if you have.

Again ; Feeding, fishing or harpooning is strictly forbidden by Law and strict legal actions will be taken against violators

@InTheDrink , I have not dived brothers this year but if I do a youtube search of owt/longimanus and sort it by upload date, I see many similar encounters as seen in the original incident video, which also overlaps with my personal experience. In my mind his is a good example of owt showing elevated aggression that can be seen also in the body language (probably it is feeling threatened by the tiger):

Most of the other cases I consider as "normal" aggression/probe, including this incident. What makes you think something has changed? I had several dives where silkies were literally stuck under the boat mesmerized by running water from the boat. Waste management has never been not on the better side imho. Is there any common bad practices that you know of?

@cerich on this side of the ocean, if one would like to get respect and credibility, needs to put facts on the table, and does not use "silly" statements such as "google it yourself". I will have to ignore your insights.

My friend took that video at Rocky. He’s another one that raises the pulse rather more

I don’t think anyone currently knows why this was strange. Waste management is the only thing that changed but even that is speculation.

Been diving with these beautiful sharks for nearly ten years now. This time was just different. I called a dive after 25 mins (would normally do 80 mins with them) as knew something had changed. Been very worried for last few weeks about another accident and it came true. Some divers got lucky but were walking into a **** storm. It was inevitable. I should have been more vocal.

Hepca
Important announcement about the closure of Brother Islands.

Regarding closure of brother Islands, HEPCA was informed by the closure decree of the Brother Islands, based on official request by National Parks. To make it clear for everyone, the closure is not to hide a planned crime scene for sharks or to investigate the reasons for the unusual change in shark behavior noticed recently, simply because the case is very obvious: the practices of some safari Boats operating in the areas are not any more tolerant by nature. Overuse of the diving reefs and bad practices are not just restricted to the Brother Islands but it mostly everywhere, and the only way to mitigate the current impact is to follow simple rules that was announced thousands times before and is in the bylaw that all boats have it on board

As we are certain and also after consultation with Shark Project organization, the situation is not only in Brothers but it is every where, and the only solution for time-being as short term plan is to stop the unsustainable practices like fishing, feeding and disposal of organic material.

Here are some do’s and dont’s for the safety of divers in the water and we urge everyone to follow the following in every dive sites :

-Enjoy the unique chance to dive with predators

-Always follow the instructions of your Dive Guides.

-Never feed a shark or chum with fish, fish-blood or organic waste. This creates a dangerous situation due to possibly irritated senses, competition or conditioning. Keep in mind that there is always the risk of an accident, especially if you do not follow the rules:

- Do not show fear, but be respectful
- Avoid quick movements, even when sharks come very close
- Stay in an upright position and avoid uncontrolled quick kicks
- Keep your hands close to your body
- Stay close to your group, sharks investigate individual divers more intensively
- Always keep eye-contact with sharks investigating you close - they come back soon
- Be aware that sharks like to approach from the back
- Overlook the whole situation (3D!) - buddys can even do it better together
- Know where all the sharks are (especially when filming or taking pictures) - any time you feel uncomfortable leave the water controlled together with your buddy
- Never touch a shark or molest it, try to keep a distance of minimum two body lengths
- If a shark gets very close push water against it (or a camera, Shark Stick etc.) - as soon as a shark touches you, stay calm and keep your eyes on the shark, leave the water
- still keep an eye on the whole situation when ascending and getting back on the boat

If you find out that there is food or bait in the water (this could be from a different group, organic waste from a boat or natural prey)
- Warn your dive guide and the other divers and leave the water
- Never touch the bait or get close to it
- Never be in the chum line (sharks normally approach against the current)

Report to HEPCA with pictures/Videos if you have.

Again ; Feeding, fishing or harpooning is strictly forbidden by Law and strict legal actions will be taken against violators

Thanks for your post. It is helpful. We’re all asking questions.

I didn’t get to dive Daedalus south so can’t comment but there were so many boats there. Brothers a lot less. All incidents happened on Brothers but I didn’t witness behaviour on Daedalus much as we were moored just beside Anemone city. But the sharks on brothers were deffo acting scary.

I’ve cut line out of them, adore them. This time I was actually scared. If I am then others should be.

ahh.. on your side of the ocean you get to make definitive statements and expect them to be accepted as facts while demanding others provide references. That must make arguments easy.

To me, anybody can cherry pick an article, opinion piece or even peer reviewed study to support claims. A deep dive into the subject is the only way a person with an open mind can make informed decision and formulate views and opinions. Thus my "google it" response.

If you want a one sided lay debate that is high on emotion and outrage over facts. Sorry.

There is first hand account of diver I read first hand account of a diver experiencing the waste being pumped whole day: Hepca

I took below photo in 2010, you can tell where waste pipe is from small fish. This silky did not get more than 20m far from that pipe for a very long time. Imho practices have not been that good for a while, just scale has changed over the years. But I am also happy that this is being taken seriously and hoping situation will improve soon.

163016_10150108449218453_505163_n.jpg

ahh.. on your side of the ocean you get to make definitive statements and expect them to be accepted as facts while demanding others provide references. That must make arguments easy.

To me, anybody can cherry pick an article, opinion piece or even peer reviewed study to support claims. A deep dive into the subject is the only way a person with an open mind can make informed decision and formulate views and opinions. Thus my "google it" response.

If you want a one sided lay debate that is high on emotion and outrage over facts. Sorry.

You’re just being silly now.

I have said what I have seen and heard.

No outrage.

I’ve more facts.

Why are you being defensive? Surely we’re just try to look at solutions rather than attacking each other?

You have an important role as a staff member and moderator. Respect your role.

Back
Top Bottom