Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

many of the divers need a break until they can learn some basic skills... that has little to do with the shark looking for a snack.

When you find yourself "walking" down the back of a shark, generally it's bad ju ju, been there
I’m really sorry but you’re wrong. Boats may have changed. Divers haven’t. Attacks have. We don’t know why yet.

I’m really sorry but you’re wrong. Boats may have changed. Divers haven’t. Attacks have. We don’t know why yet.
Actually you didn’t read my comment how I meant it. I said shark has little to do with those divers needing some better skills.

I have personally “walked down the back of a shark” making a run at me, and watched others. It always happens when they are looking to bite and the diver is looking to avoid

Culling in Australia didn't decrease the number of attacks therefore all culling is useless. There is a name for that argument, and that name is Faulty Generalization.
-- Proudly brought to you by Non-native Speakers'R'Us
That is a silly statement. Culling has worked in many locations with sharks to reduce the attacks. Just because you are using one example does not a case get made.

Someone uploaded this just couple of months ago.
When I see videos like this, I also support the decision to give a break until a strategy figured out.

There are similar instances / moments where same situation could have happened to those divers in this video (got chomped off a chunk of their limb). Considered those guys were lucky.

I disagree. No evidence I’ve seen supports culling. Just gets the wrong fish shark and everything else.
That is why bangsticks were invented. I don’t believe it involves more than a handful of OWT that have gotten conditioned, resolve them and give the site a break and solved.

I know that many will be upset at that, they should be. They don’t deserve it but people have caused it.

That is why bangsticks were invented. I don’t believe it involves more than a handful of OWT that have gotten conditioned, resolve them and give the site a break and solved.

I know that many will be upset at that, they should be. They don’t deserve it but people have caused it.
It’s bed time here. It’s definitely not the sharks fault.

Just saying something is up. We can hopefully agree on that.

And I do appreciate your input I’m just feeeling very guilty I didn’t raise my voice more when I knew more was going to happen. Poor pro.

That is a silly statement. Culling has worked in many locations with sharks to reduce the attacks. Just because you are using one example does not a case get made.

And yet he has provided a specific example of it not working (I can provide another; Hawaii looked at it extensively and concluded it was useless), whereas you have not provided one of it working. For someone who terms it "sad, disgusting, and very hard to justify" you're having a good go at the last item.

Someone uploaded this just couple of months ago.
When I see videos like this, I also support the decision to give a break until a strategy figured out.

I hate to sound like this, but ... if the operators out there are dumping total strokes like this into an ocean with aggressive sharks and unforgiving currents, I'm freaking amazed the body count isn't through the roof. I wouldn't take several of those divers on a daytrip out of Key Largo into 30 ft of water. Any OW that doesn't see a diver flailing like that as ringing a dinner bell and wearing a big EAT ME sign in yum-yum yellow would have starved to death long ago.

And yet he has provided a specific example of it not working (I can provide another; Hawaii looked at it extensively and concluded it was useless), whereas you have not provided one of it working. For someone who terms it "sad, disgusting, and very hard to justify" you're having a good go at the last item.

I hate to sound like this, but ... if the operators out there are dumping total strokes like this into an ocean with aggressive sharks and unforgiving currents, I'm freaking amazed the body count isn't through the roof. I wouldn't take those divers on a daytrip out of Key Largo into 30 ft of water. Any OW that doesn't see a diver like that as ringing a dinner bell and wearing a big EAT ME sign in yum-yum yellow would have starved to death long ago.
I’m not justifying anything, I’m discussing. I really don’t want to see a cull, also don’t want to see more divers hurt or worse.

Anybody that would claim that the dive ops taking folks there are responsible only has to watch the videos of most groups at both brothers posted online. Without exception poorly skilled and controlled divers in a challenging dive, even without white tip action. Many of the videos I watched had divers that were I leading on the Cayman wall would be lead by me off the wall to the top of the finger reefs. I say that as a 5 year Cayman instructor.

Back
Top Bottom