Shark attack in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from a week long liveaboard in Red Sea. This woman from Germany was attacked off Elphinstone. We were scheduled to dive Elphinstone for a second time on our way back to Port Ghalib but the local authorities shut down the area for 3 days due to the attack. The woman received 7-8 stitches. I saw the pictures on facebook. According to our diveboat crew the woman along with her buddy drifted out into the blue and were shallow when the attack occurred. After diving with the Longimanus for 3 days straight and with a few very close encounters, i can certainly see how the oceanic known for its rather curious nature may very well have decided to take.a bite. These shark remain shallow and are often referred to as the Red Sea cleaners as they eat mostly up at the surface. We saw several from our swim deck. As others have mentioned, these sharks deserve respect and must always be kept front and center. I had my camera ready to push it away in case it got any closer. Another diver actually took off one of his fins and was ready to “slap” it away if it came too close. We remained in our group and maintained eye contact. So it certainly seems plausible that it was the diver’s fault. On a positive note, we had an amazing time, my first, diving in the Red Sea with these sharks. Also one should note the efficient care by the local Egyptian doctor who stichted up the woman after she was quickly transported back to shore. I had a few Egyptian medical professionals diving with us and they spoke highly of the local medical team.

The Red Sea attack on that diver in the shorty (I think it was at 'The Brothers?') surprised me. I'm not a good subjective judge of length; from online video, it looked like an oceanic white-tip around 5 to 6 feet long went up, curved around and grabbed a diver in a short by the leg, and thrashed for moments; it's my understanding it basically removed his calf.

I wouldn't have thought a shark would attack something so large relative to its own size (note: there are exceptions, like great whites hitting the rear of large elephant seals so they drown...and of course the cookie cutter shark...), especially something its instincts wouldn't recognize as prey, and while surrounded by a large group of the 'aliens.' But it did, and now that guy's maimed for life. While this doesn't look quite like I remembered, I think it's a video from that 2018 attack.

Richard.
I believe you are referring to the shark attack 2 years ago. While the shark was circling the diver in the shorty(as it was in our group with the only person wearing shorties), the attack actually happened on another diver returning from their dive and swimming through the group of divers that were observing the Longimanus. I have seen the video and the actual pictures of the bite and aftermath. Once again, it appears the attack was a result of the two divers not paying attention to the circling shark. My first time ever in Red Sea but I can tell you from first hand experience, the sharks for some bizarre reason were certainly more attracted to the one diver in our group wearing the shorts. Interestingly enough, the same diver also had the closest dive with the thrasher shark on the same trip. All caught on video.

It's not only "all eyes on the shark" but also have your buddy at your back looking behind you.
As you can see on the video, there may be another one behind you... (True story when we were there...)
How curious they are is well illustrated by their interest for the buoy

As I said, it could be our lucky day. I was worried about Chris being near the surface snapping pictures on the other shark without realizing another one coming to him from below. Fortunately his fins were in the way between him & the shark. The shark then turned away just as he saw it coming from below him.

I knew there were 2 of them. I kept track on whereabouts of both of them from below. I think by staying vertical and calm without waving hands around, we didn’t make them exited.

The red SMB dragging by DM, engine revving noise & bubble making by the boat above were there to keep their attention away from us.

Our DM made it a point to not have divers wait on surface for any length of time when the longimanus were around. We had two skiffs waiting for us up top and each one kept an eye out for the sharks while the others boarded. On a couple of occasions, they used the engine of one to scare off the sharks from the others. They are most curious when shallow and they do tend to swim close to surface when there is activity. We always had a couple circling our liveaboard. Divers were picked up as soon as they surfaced and we only did when the tender was above us. Also, pay close attention to their pectoral fins which tend to draw downwards when the sharks are in an "aggressive" state. Several online explanations of this behaviour by scientists. IMHO it behooves us all to get to know them and the environment. Take responsibility. Safe diving.

[...] Divers were picked up as soon as they surfaced and we only did when the tender was above us. [...]
We were litteraly pull out of the water in full gear. No "may i have your camera", "Please give me your BCD first",...

We were litteraly pull out of the water in full gear. No "may i have your camera", "Please give me your BCD first",...

Same approach in Cocos with Tiger sharks (just came back from there last week).

After a diver died from Tiger Shark bites during a safety stop ~ 3 years ago, the dive operators changed their procedures in returning to the skiff in Tiger Shark infested water like Manuelita. We’ll basically gather together at the safety stop, when DM sees the coast is clear, he’ll point to a diver, one at a time, to swim up to the skiff, hand off camera & fins & climb up to the skiff right away.

DM carries a bayonet size poker to push away any curious sharks and he will be last to get out of the water.

I listened to DM briefing carefully before diving with Longimanus. Here is my video of them. You can see how we kept our eyes on them or could be just our lucky day. :)

That’s an awesome video! Can’t believe how clear the water is! How did they attract the White Tips or know where to find them?

Reactions: Dan
This beauty is still on my bucketlist. From what I've seen in so many movies, there's just one place you don't want to be: at the surface, mimicking a wounded seal kicking and sculling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom