Shark attack in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm seeking clarity here please. Was the women bitten in the arm wearing a short with short sleeves too?

That’s an awesome video! Can’t believe how clear the water is! How did they attract the White Tips or know where to find them?

Thanks! It was my lucky day. Red Sea is known for clear water since there is not much river runoff from the desert. Also we got lucky with the sunny day & the Oceanic Whitetip Sharks like to swim near the surface. For whatever reason they like to hangout in Elphinstone reef. To attract them to our boat, DM would launch DSMB and drag it around with him while filming the sharks & the skiff pilot would rev the engine and make bubbles as you see in the video.

[...] How did they attract the White Tips or know where to find them?
There are just regulars and not being attracted.
I think there are decent fines in Egypt for attracting sharks with baits on purpose or even for throwing waist over board that could attract them.

No, the usual black one.
She was busy with her DM fixing something on her BCD at what looked like being at 3-5 m.
I found the video and some other sources (maybe some re-post...). IMHO the shark you see most of the time in the video is not the one who will bite. A smaller one that was not seen coming apears from behind and bites her in the shoulder.

That’s an awesome video! Can’t believe how clear the water is! How did they attract the White Tips or know where to find them?

The longis in Egypt are not baited, at least not the conventional way. On certain places (the offshore reefs like Elphinstone, Brother islands, Daedalus, Zabargat, Rocky island etc...) and especially in autumn, they are attracted just by the boats and the divers around the Safari boat on the surface, so one may say the divers themselves are the bait...:)

Wolfgang

It’s the most beautiful shark I have seen (~ 10 different kinds of sharks so far). Its extra long pectoral fins look like a fighter jet cruising in the blue.

I kept my eyes on those pectoral fins. Once they are curved down, watch out! Be ready to shove your camera to its nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom