Shark attack in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley:
From the shark's perspective small folks on boogie boards silhouetted against the surface look like turtles. And a turtle on the surface would be easy prey for the hunting shark, he wouldn't realize the mistake until after the first taste.

What a tragedy.
A tragedy indeed. No parent should ever have to lose a child. My condolences to the family. Fact of the matter, these girls were too far off shore. There is no substitute for safety. Hard lesson to be learned. No mistake by the shark. Brave surfer that brought her in should be praised for his efforts. Again, my prayers for the family.

Condolences to the family of the victim......

This is the newest report. Watching the local news and CNN, it is amazing to see what statistics they choose to use. Our local news spoke of how Florida leads the world in shark attacks with 30 in 2003. I was sitting there going "What?", why didn't you use the most recent years report? There were only 12 attacks in 2004. CNN claimed last year Florida led the world with 30 attacks, so they go as far as using 2003's numbers in place of last years numbers. Ridiculous! Obviously we all know what the news is good for......

At this link is a break down, by county, of shark attacks. Walton County had never had a report of a shark attack until now :( http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/GAttack/mapFL.htm

Surfer Recounts Fatal Shark Attack in Fla.

By BILL KACZOR, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 14 minutes ago (approx. 10AM est - June 26, 2005)

DESTIN, Fla. - Tim Dicus was surfing when he heard the scream. He turned and saw a girl swimming as fast as she could — and another one face down in a bloody circle of water. Dicus, 54, paddled over to the wounded 14-year-old girl, who had been swimming on a boogie board about 100 yards offshore.

"Right next to her was the shark, about to come up and attack her again," Dicus said. He put the girl on his surf board and the shark — which appeared to be a bull shark about 8 feet long — went after her hand.
"He just followed us right to the beach," Dicus said. "He was determined to finish lunch. I hate to put it that way, but that was what he was trying to do."

The girl was bitten on the thigh, and was taken to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, said Walton County Sheriff's spokeswoman Donna Shank.

Her name wasn't immediately released, but officials said the girl was on vacation from Gonzales, La.

Dicus said he punched the shark on the nose as it tried to attack him. Two other swimmers came with a raft, which they put the girl in and towed to shore.

Jeff White, 49, of Atlanta, said his son was in the raft.

"He said at one point, the shark was underneath them," White said. "So they stopped paddling. Somebody distracted the shark and they brought the girl the rest of the way in."

White said his son, Chris White, 23, told his father that "she probably may have already been gone before they got her to shore."

The attack happened near the Camping on the Gulf Holiday Travel Park, about 45 miles east of Pensacola on the Florida Panhandle.

Patrick O'Neill, the campground's general manager, refused to comment.

Authorities closed about 20 miles of beaches to swimming shortly after the attack. It's the height of the summer tourism season along the coast and the beaches were packed with people.

"It was a bad attack," said George Burgess, curator of the International Shark Attack File located at University of Florida. "Certainly it was a reasonably large shark."

Burgess, who was heading to the scene to investigate, said it was the first shark attack of any kind recorded in Walton County.

"It's not a renegade shark looking for humans," Burgess said. "Probably it was a one shot deal and it's not likely to attack again."

Twelve-year-old Robert Goodwin, of St. Louis, Mo., said he was in the gulf during the attack and ordered out of the water. His father, Mark, said the family comes every year and "it was just an eerie feeling to see folks sitting there on the beach" instead of swimming.

Florida had the largest number of documented shark attacks worldwide in 2003 with 30, according to statistics compiled by the American Elasmobranch Society and the Florida Museum of Natural History. There were 12 attacks off the coast of Florida last year.

That's scary.. I spent every summer there growing up. So sad.

Too bad they don't use the numbers of total fatalities since they have been keeping records-12, and in over 100 years-500 attacks which averages only 5 per year. But then that doesn't create good ratings...

The reason attacks are going up is easy.. more people in the water more of the time.

FSUgly.. thanks for saving me the post of the same thing out of our local rag. A bull is pretty much an indiscriminate biter.. "whats this... lets chomp and see if its food!" and it does.

Its a shame about the young lady though... I hope her family doesn't start some sort of shark destruction expedition out of it though...

NetDoc:
Tim Dicus gave a tentative ID of the shark:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050626/ap_on_re_us/shark_attack_10

This is tragic, and it wasn't in the surf zone either. This shark was intent on feeding apparently.
Thanks for the link. This story is heart breaking for me because I have vacationed on that beach and my daughters have swam those very same waters many times before. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

future_coach:
Where did you get the information that it was a bull shark? Everywhere I have read it says that the shark was not identified. Can anyone give me a link so I can find out more?

I read it was a bull shark in the LA Times this morning...

the_cat_keeper:
Err... do sharks have good eye-sight?

Sharks have, in general, very good eysight. It's been hypothesized that when we're diving, we resemble nothing that sharks identify as food, so they're curious, but not necessarily stalking us.

OTOH, a person on a boogie board (from underwater, looking up) resembles a seal, a very tempting good item for predatory sharks.

My condolences to the family.

there are plenty of seals on the east coast, although probably not in the FL waters and not on the menu of a preditor there. However, a person splashing about on the surface (especially in low vis waters) would confuse a shark much more than a diver who is more likely to be following the shark rather than the opposite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom