Shark attack in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/26/national/26shark.html

Not to frighten anyone, but thought youd find this interesting.

Girl, 14, Dies in Florida Shark Attack

Sign In to E-Mail This
Printer-Friendly
Reprints

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: June 26, 2005
DESTIN, Fla., June 25 (AP) - A 14-year-old girl died on Saturday after a shark attacked her while she and another girl were swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, the authorities said.

The teenagers were swimming on boogie boards about 100 yards offshore when they noticed a dark shadow in the water, the authorities said. The other girl was not injured, said Donna Shank, a spokeswoman for the Walton County sheriff.

Both girls swam to shore, and the victim was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead, Ms. Shank said. The authorities did not release the name of the girl, who was on vacation from Louisiana.

It was not clear what type of shark attacked her, said Stan Kirkland, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

"The girl was some distance off from the shore," Mr. Kirkland said. "I don't think anyone got a good view of the shark."

The attack happened near the Camping on the Gulf Holiday Travel Park, in the Florida Panhandle about 45 miles east of Pensacola.

Patrick O'Neill, the campground's general manager, declined to comment.

About 20 miles of beaches were closed to swimmers shortly after the attack. It is the height of the summer tourism season along the coast, and the beaches were packed.

"This doesn't happen very often at all - very, very seldom," said Mike McKee, the front desk supervisor at the nearby Hilton Sandestin Beach Resort and Spa.

There were 12 attacks off the coast of Florida last year, though none resulted in death. The last fatal shark attack in the United States happened in August 2004, when Randall Fry, 50, was killed off the Northern California coast.

i just saw that

i hate to see anyone hurt, but especially kids... this is very sad

From the shark's perspective small folks on boogie boards silhouetted against the surface look like turtles. And a turtle on the surface would be easy prey for the hunting shark, he wouldn't realize the mistake until after the first taste.

What a tragedy.

future_coach:
Where did you get the information that it was a bull shark? Everywhere I have read it says that the shark was not identified. Can anyone give me a link so I can find out more?

I haven't heard officially that it was a bull either, but it probably was. We have some monster bulls along the Gulf Coast. You may remember Jesse Arbogast was hit, back a few years ago on Pensacola Beach. That was a 6 ft bull, and it took his arm off and most of his leg. I've seen some bulls when diving that are huge.

I really feel for the girl's family - I can't imagine losing a child, especially in such a horrible manner.

Many of my friends find it odd that I am not afraid to dive, yet when I go to the beach, I rarely wade in the surf. I have never felt safe playing in the surf. Maybe it is because I watched "Jaws"... While I know that a diver must be alert to dangers and possible dangerous situations, on my one ocean dive, it didn't occur to me to be afraid of sharks.

divergalinla:
I really feel for the girl's family - I can't imagine losing a child, especially in such a horrible manner.

Many of my friends find it odd that I am not afraid to dive, yet when I go to the beach, I rarely wade in the surf. I have never felt safe playing in the surf. Maybe it is because I watched "Jaws"... While I know that a diver must be alert to dangers and possible dangerous situations, on my one ocean dive, it didn't occur to me to be afraid of sharks.

I agree, while diving, you can see them, and maybe more importantly, they can see you for what you are (not food!).

What was surprising about this attack was that is was between 11 and noon. So dim light shouldn't have affected the sharks perception unlike many recent attacks which have occured at dusk.

These girls were way out. Estimates are as much as 100 yards off the beach and in 20 or 30 ft of water. They were both on boggie boards which means their legs were hanging off and kicking the water behind them. When kicking the water, they probably sounded like feeding fish and hence the attraction. If the shark was really 11 ft which I doubt, it may have been a tiger. They are rare, but we do have an occassional tiger through here. Years ago, a 600 pounder was caught right off of beach by a surf fisherman.

Chaseh:
I agree, while diving, you can see them, and maybe more importantly, they can see you for what you are (not food!).

Err... do sharks have good eye-sight?

Edit: Threads merged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom