shark attack odds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Berdman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thought this was interesting when reading the news

The Scenario: Being attacked by a shark
The Odds: 1 in 11.5 million

You're far more likely to sustain an injury from a toilet seat than a shark, according to the International Shark Attack File (ISAF). Only 23 people were involved in unprovoked shark attacks in 2000, and that was the record year for attacks. You're on your own when it comes to toilet safety, but here are the ISAF's suggestions for avoiding shark attacks:

Stay in groups and keep close to shore.
Avoid the water at night and in twilight; sharks are most active then.
Avoid wearing shiny jewelry. It attracts sharks.

And keep in mind that in a typical year only 5 shark attacks are fatal.

I want to hear more about the toilet seat injuries. Clearly listing the ways to prevent those would have been more useful than the shark information :D
Ber :lilbunny:

So you could be one of the lucky 5?

It all primarily depends on location, location, location. Just like real estate trading.

And aside from that, it helps not to attract their attention somehow, with blood, or noise, or your silhouette.

Ber Rabbit:
I want to hear more about the toilet seat injuries. Clearly listing the ways to prevent those would have been more useful than the shark information :D
Ber :lilbunny:

haha, it will make you think twice next time you use the toilet

Berdman:
.....Avoid the water at night and in twilight; sharks are most active then.

Now I know why the charter boat spearfishing nite dives are half price.:crafty:

Johnoly:
Bulls and reefies aren't the problem, it's the lemons and hammers that I never see ambush me.

have some first hand experiance to share? ;-)

I suppose we males are going to be the cause of most toilet seat injuries by leaving the seat up! Figures. Just teasing. I've been diving 45 years and never had anything close to a shark attack... unless you count the two foot horn shark that gummed my wetsuit chest several times when I tried to reposition it for a better shot. Can't blame the little feller. Of course for the first eight years I was diving in fresh water where sharks didn't exist.

Actually, I ALWAYS leave the toilet seat down so sunlight doesn't get into the bowl and cause diatoms to grow in our salt water toilets. That stuff requires a pumice stone to scrape off the porcelain.

Of course for the first eight years I was diving in fresh water where sharks didn't exist.

bull sharks are able of entering freshwater arnt they?

Sharks smell the urine from Pinnepeds, so no peeing your in your wet or drysuit, if you are in a shark infested place. We dive in the Red Triangle, North Coast of California, but sharks are only so much of a concern. Now I did just purchase a kayak to minimize some of my surface swims. That is when you are most likely to be HIT by the Landlord.
Shark.jpg

Back
Top Bottom